Suddenly I'm more hopeful

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had this condition now since November and whilst the raging sore throats have stopped on the whole I've seen little improvement.  One of the Drs has given me anti depressants to take at night and the other one told me to search the Internet for possible treatments and then go back and discuss them with him - so not a lot of help really.

I've just read that a possible cause of this condition could be back problems which I also have, mainly across my shoulders.  I decided to visit an Osteopath - he took a full medical history - to my amazement he knew all about this condition and actually gave me practical advice and help.  He has given me exercises to carry out on a daily basis and I am to go back in a fortnight.  For the first time I feel that someone is taking this seriously and not just fobbing me off with 'it will eventually go away'.  I'm not sure if this information will help anyone else but hopefully if will.

If anyone is interested in these exercises let me know and I'll post them.

Gill

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi gill 1686 - your post sounds so much like me at present - I am awaiting my ENT appointment so have not had diagnosis yet, but all sounds very similar. Hopefully exercises would help at present - please could you let me know. Many thanks
    • Posted

Hi Maureen, hope your ENT appointment comes through for you soon.  I'm sure it will put your mind at rest if nothing else....I know it didn't really help me physically but a weight was lifted off my mind definitely.  The advice I got from the Osteopath is as follows:- 

drink plenty of cool fluids around 4 pints a day

avoid caffeine drinks

stretch the back of your throat by yawning as often as possible

Don't try and clear your throat, if you feel you have mucus to clear make a strong gulp or drink some water to clear it.

Try to have less stress/tension in your life!!  

Exercises:-

Sit straight and allow your shoulders and arms to hang comfortably

Don't let your head to poke forwards or loll backwards

Lift your shoulders to your ears, hold for 6 seconds and then drop, repeat 3 times

Look over your left shoulder, hold, look mid line, look over right shoulder.  Repeat this 3 times.

Tilt your head down to your left shoulder, hold it for 3 seconds, then tilt to the right shoulder, repeat this sequence 3 times.

Tilt your head down to your left shoulder, hold for 3 seconds, then tilt it to the right shoulder.  Repeat this three times.

Drop your head down onto your chest and very slowly and gently roll your head up to one shoulder,, roll it round to the other shoulder and slowly back down onto your chest.  Hold this position for a few seconds, then slowly raise your head.  Repeat this going round in the other direction.

Screw up your face and hands as tightly as you can, hold for 6 seconds, then relax.

Go to a corner of a room and place your hands on the wall - press your hands into the wall and stretch your neck - do this 5 times.

I am doing this on a daily basis, not entirely sure whether it is helping yet as I also have issues with a dry mouth and tongue ulcers at times

so some symptoms tend to over ride others at times if you know what I mean but I am going to keep going with them, after all what else can you do really? let me know what you think anyway.  Gill xxxx

• Posted

Many thanks for quick response - will certainly give the exercises a work-out. My appointment is 3 weeks today - not long to wait really, although when symptoms bad , seems a lifetime!   Easier said than done to lose stress/tension isnt it - but my kids (and husband) have been telling me that for ages - do get very stressed/worried about things.  Many thanks fr your kind help - keep in touch.
    • Posted

Well I keep reading that Globus is a by product of being stressed and anxious, I personally don't subscribe to that - I really think it's a physical thing but the Osteopath has said that my neck area both sides are v. tense - I couldn't take it all in tbh at the time but it's the fight/flight response area apparently and I do have trouble moving my neck from side to side so from that point of view I can see you could say it was tension related I suppose.  If I get involved in other stuff and am busy I forget all about it, it's worse for me when I'm on my own.  It has improved from what it was like initially - I felt really really ill then - I don't anymore but you know what I mean I'm sure.......about the discomfort of it all. xxx
  • Posted

Hi, my son has globus sensation for more than a year and he feels completely hopeless. We tried antiacid medication, antiallergy medication, changed diet, lifestyle, he is taking antidepressants but nothing helps. He is very depressed. Did osteopath help you? or anything else helped you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.