Suggestion on post umbilical hernia repair

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there, I got my umbilical hernia repaired on 25/06/16 ( which I had for nearly 6 yrs ) with mesh. I should be resting for few weeks & after that life goes normal.

Now the things is that I am a courier by profession which require lots of lifting. Is this gonna effect my job or if I do this job what are the chances of this coming back ??? Worried as I m the only bread & butter for the family

Regards

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I think you should ask your doctors advice.   Doesn't sound ideal doing a lot of heavy lifting.  Hope you recover well.

• Posted

It's a good idea to take it easy for the next couple of weeks. If it takes about six months for the mesh to be completely buried by tissue,( compleately healed) you can kind of guess where your healing might be. I'm no doctor, but I've had an umbilical hernia, and an inguinal hernia. fortunately the umbilical hernia repair, didn't seem to be so debilitating. You've only had that repair for a couple of days, I'd be careful and aware of it for at least a month. Be aware of what movements tighten up your abs, and act accordingly. Follow the doctor who repaired it.s advice. He or she knows exactly how bad it was.  Good luck

• Posted

Thanks for your reply & advice ctrix, do you think I should complete rest for sometime & start working... Or give me advice on this if I rest for 2-3 weeks & then I just drive ( sprinter van ) & take another guy for loading unloading, then I would be driving for 7-8 hours ( will this be too much )

Sorry to ask this silly things mate but have to run my family

Cheers

• Posted

I think you'll be able to tell what you can handle.  If you feel pain, lighten it up. I was 57 when mine was fixed three years ago. I'm a carpenter. It didn't lay me up too bad, but I took it kind of easy for a month,and everyone I worked with, understood. I didn't pick up anything heavy, and watched out when bending. Use proper posture when lifting.  ( I got my hernia from doing toe-touch exercise) If you're like me, the pain will go away in about two weeks. but keep checking it with your hand. If something causes the pain to increase, then you got to wait longer, if it doesn't, then you're probably okay. I know a lot of people think my advice is crazy, but I got bills to pay too.  If you're able to stick with the driving, and someone else is able to do the lifting, I think you'll be fine.

• Posted

Thanks ctrix, I m feeling relaxed by reading your reply
  • Posted

Hi. You obviously have to avoid lifting etc for a while. I would follow your surgeon's advice or you could have problems! Also, have you thought about wearing an abdominal binder or corset? I was given one by the hospital which is adjustable and you can also buy elasticated types. I still wear mine even after almost 20 months since my large incisional hernia was repaired using mesh. Mainly for security and comfort now I suppose. Take care...

• Posted

Thanks for reply & advice John, hospital has not given me any binder, you think I should be wear lung from now or when I will be at work.... Can you please tell me something about these binder which one I should buy ( seen online very confusing )

Thanks ... Ajay

• Posted

Your Dr should be able to organise a visit to the hospital to be measured etc. I'm assuming they are available where you live. Mine was free btw. The elastic ones I found in a magazine came in different sizes. I wore them all the time, even at night for a while, but only a loose one now during the day. I live in New Zealand so what you have available may be quite different. I wasn't really given much advice, my Dr merely said, 'if you want to,' when I asked him. I remember now that my surgeon did recommend one however. I do think it would help reduce the risk when at work and also make you feel more confident. Oh, and I wasn't allowed to drive for 6 weeks after surgery. 

• Posted

Thanks John for your reply...

I check with my local chemist they got some....it's a very good idea to use binder it will help a lot.

Cheers mate

• Posted

My pleasure. Just check with your 'support' team though, as my suggestions are completely from my own experience. lol

• Posted

Ya sure John, I think experience matters a lot but even I will speak to them

Regards mate

• Posted

Ajay, I had this surgery about a year ago, while I was living in India. The hospital wouldn't relrease me without the abdominal binder and I was told to wear it for 6 months. It was summer and didn't always want the extra fabric on, but the painful twinges I would receive when I twisted or lifted something made it not worth it. Even now, there are times when I've lifted something heavy and felt something pull. I've decided it's the tacks that were holding the mesh in place. But I don't really know what it was. The last thing you want to do is push it too soon and cause problems. See what you can do at work that might not require the heavy lifting.

-Mo

• Posted

Thanks Mo for your reply & advice, definitely I m gonna buy a binder & will use this.

Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.