Surgery or not (5th metatarsal fracture)

Posted , 8 users are following.

So i shall start off on the 17th sept 2016 i missed a step when going down the stairs and broke my 5th metatarsal, pain was manageable and i managed to sleep through it for that day. The next day i went to see my local hospital and was diagnose 5th metatarsal fracture. Its been a month now and i am still in a cast, non-weight bearing. I am 22 this year and i am super depressed because i can't really do anything almost all the days were spent at home, i have a recent X-ray taken which show slight healing and my orthopaedic suggest surgery if there shows no healing in the next appointment, however i researched and heard that this kind of fracture doesn't require surgery as it will healed on its own...

Your response will be greatly appreciated....

Photo of my Fracture:http://imgur.com/a/4b755

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am an advocate for surgery. I wasted the first 4 weeks trying to heal on my own then my ortho surgeon put a screw in. Surgery was painless because of 36 hour block. I was non weightbearing for 4 week then 4 in boot then back on my horse and in heels!! I am 67! She also had a bone stimulator sent to me. Low blood supply at fracture site. I would go for surgery!!! Get your life back. Without these fractures recur! Good luck
  • Posted

I responded but now can't find it. I am an advocate for surgery which guarantees faster healing and no recurrance which these fractures are known for. I wasted the first 4 weeks non weightbearing but, it was not healing so my ortho surgeon put a screw in which took 45 minutes. No pain after because of block which lasted 36 hours then absolutely no pain. I was non weighbearing 4 weeks, in walking boot another 4 then back on my horse and walking in heels and I am 67!! My surgeon also had a bone stimulator sent to me and I used it religiously. Good luck. 

• Posted

i see, but uhm my doctor mention that i am still young and bones heal quite fast for my age, so he gave me a choice to choose. But after hearing your story i guess i shall go for surgery as i play a lot of sports reguarly and don't want the fracture to reoccur. Thanks for the reply ! 

• Posted

I would absolutely get a second opinion from an orthopedic surgeon!

Good Luck,

Mary

• Posted

I agree Mary. I am not an advocate of podiatrist. I am quite opinionated after this ordeal. And, you are correct, he is young!! Might heal. I am so happy to be over this and I hear people that are not normal for up to 6 months. Wish I had not wasted the first month. ugh, 
  • Posted

Hi, I first fractured my 5th 12/3/15 went to a local hospital they only ace and gave me S walking boot and crutches. 2/2016 there wasn't much healing so I did have surgery and they places a 4 screw in my foot

Be patient it is frustrating .

• Posted

I believe you are young so might heal faster. I wasted the first 4 weeks waiting to see. After surgury it was 4 off, 4 walking boot then ready to go back on treadmill, horse and heels. Everyone is different. My foot surgeon said healing much faster with but some are afraid of surgery. I just read of people not being back to normal for 6 months. Did not have time for that. I wish she had pushed. Mine was not displaced so that might make a difference.

Never had pain except at the beginning of broken foot. This site was so helpful!!!

• Posted

I honestly thought the first doctors PA knew what she was doing. Then I decided to find the best doctor who only deals with Feet. And I did find the best.
    • Posted

You are very lucky😊

I have a 4" screw and the doctor needed to take bone to fill in the area too.

Being 58 and active with ballroom dancing lessons and going to the gym to keep my heart healthy it's frustrating on havjng chronic pain even sleeping

• Posted

Darn. Guess I was fortunate with no pain. Also have a 4 inch screw that runs length of bone. I also ballroom dance, ride, etc and am almost 68. You are young!!!😁 However your break might have been more complicated. It is a challenging fracture and by the way, classic dancers injury. Outside roll!!!

• Posted

Thank you for replying

I do miss my ballroom dancing & lessons.

I'm going to have some xays. Maybe where he made the incisions is being super sensitive too.

Thus is a great forum

• Posted

Hi, I had the same injury. I was in a boot for 2 months before healing. I would suggest not having surgery yet.

Hope it starts to feel better.

• Posted

I am currently in a cast for 5 weeks already, doctor say non-weight bound but i actually tried putting weight and felt no pain !, 3 weeks after the injury i already felt no pain on my leg but last week x-ray showed it wasn't healing..

• Posted

I was getting pain even after the fracture had healed so sought a 2nd opinion. It can take a while to heal and it hasn't been that long. Even though it'll feel like it is.

• Posted

i understand, but i currently feel no pain when walking even though recent x-ray showed that the bone has not started healing. 1 month with crutches and i felt like dieing already... its pretty sad that this particular bone heals so slow ..
    • Posted

If they say no weight bearing then I would stick to strict no weight bearing.... complication could  be permanent nonunion.  Criteria for surgery include degree of displacement and angle of displacement.

I am in medical field as well as a victim! I had surgery on displaced midshaft 5th MT fracture and currently in 4th of 6 weeks of healing with percutaneous pin stablizing it.... NWB.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.