Surgery or not (5th metatarsal fracture)

Posted , 8 users are following.

So i shall start off on the 17th sept 2016 i missed a step when going down the stairs and broke my 5th metatarsal, pain was manageable and i managed to sleep through it for that day. The next day i went to see my local hospital and was diagnose 5th metatarsal fracture. Its been a month now and i am still in a cast, non-weight bearing. I am 22 this year and i am super depressed because i can't really do anything almost all the days were spent at home, i have a recent X-ray taken which show slight healing and my orthopaedic suggest surgery if there shows no healing in the next appointment, however i researched and heard that this kind of fracture doesn't require surgery as it will healed on its own...

Your response will be greatly appreciated....

Photo of my Fracture:http://imgur.com/a/4b755

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I agree with the post that says listen to your doc - if he/she says NWB, don't put weight on it. It is very difficult, I know. I found a knee scooter was most helpful. Crutches were terrible. I was on them for 6 weeks post surgery which I had five days after my injury. One note about NWB, though, is afterward you need to be really careful and do your physical therapy. I ended up breaking the same bone in a different spot 8 months later because my leg muscles still were not stable enough. Not it's been 4 months since the 2nd break (one year from the 1st break) and I'm finally feeling normal again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.