Surgery, terrified of nausea/vomiting

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi all. Does anyone have sucess stories about gallbladder removal where they didn't have problems with nausea or vomiting post-op or during recovery?

I have my surgery scheduled for the end of October and I have a terrible phobia of vomiting. As in, I have panic attacks just thinking about having surgery because of this risk. I have been nauseated almost constantly for the last year and a half but have never vomited. I finally got a HIDA scan that showed my galbladder function at 0% (no stones). I would love to feel better but I have read so many stories of people having nausea and vomiting from the surgery and/or during recovery it makes it seem like everyone has these problems.

Has anyone made it through without vomiting and with no or minimal nausea? I would love to hear your story!

Thanks!!!!

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I had my gallbladder out 8 weeks ago and the constant nausea and vomiting I had before my op has completely vanished - thank god. Good luck

• Posted

Hi sadtum 😞

I had my surgery 9 weeks ago. I did wake up with that nauseous feeling right after but they gave me meds and it went away so fast! I have not been auseius at all sunce.

Just tell anesthesiologist your concerns and they will take great care of you!! Good luck and think positive and how your body will thank you when it is done xo

• Posted

My wife and her sister both had them taken out last month and neither one had any problems.  she was a little nauseated but she always is when she wakes up form surgery but it only last a couple hours.  
  • Posted

i am terrified of vomiting, as well, and that was my number one concern leading up to and immediately after surgery. while i was nauseous prior to surgery (due to my gallbladder), i, thankfully, made it through surgery and post-op without any vomiting. i strongly believe in mind-over-matter and encourage you to think that way going in. good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! It is such a relief to find out that someone else with the same fear went through this and didn't have any problems. I'm glad you made it through successfully!

• Posted

Just curious- I think I'm confused.. Are you having it removed because of constant nausea? The no stones part threw me off

• Posted

Yes, according to the doctor the low function (0% on the HIDA scan) is causing the nausea. Apparently when you have an abnormal HIDA scan that shows low functionality the treatment is to remove the gallbladder. So it's different disease than having gallstones but the same treatment.

• Posted

Oh! Interesting. I had no idea. I hope you feel better soon. I hope you have found what you think to be the best doctor available and everything goes well!
    • Posted

hey im supposed to have my hida scan soon and im terrified of vomiting as well. I looked up the scan and it says it makes you feel sick and im terrified!!

• Posted

Omg I'm so glad I'm not alone with this!! I was diagnosed with gall stones 4 months ago after being violently sick after certain foods. As soon as I knew I had stones I changed my diet completely to a no fat low fat diet, this has helped but there are still occasions where I wake up feeling nauseous and I have a major fear of vomiting, I have done since I was a child when I was sick and inhaled it back causing me to choke, I have awful panic attacks and go through a terrible time,.. I have my operation due at the end of September beginning of October, but I'm also petrified of waking up and being really sick. I k ow that morphine makes me vomit so this worries me also, I'm really scared so I totally sympathise with anyone that feels the same way xx

• Posted

I'm so sorry you had such a traumatic experience, but I understand your fear! Best of luck with your surgery in a few weeks - if you feel up to it afterwards I would love to hear from you and know how it went. Hopefully you will be like many other people and have no problems and feel better!

• Posted

Hi!

I also have a severe fear of nausea/vomiting so I completely understand where you're coming from.  That was my number one fear when it came to having surgery.  I told the anesthesiologist that and asked him to give me any and all anti-nausea medication he was legally/morally able to and he did.  I didn't have one ounce of nausea when I woke up or the entire day.  I didn't have any vomiting either.  Outside of feeling like I did 1,000 sit ups and having a sore throat from the breathing tube (make sure you have cough drops ready!) I didn't have a hard time at all and was home about two hours after surgery.  Just be sure to tell them you have an anxiety about nausea and/or vomiting and would like all the medication you are able to have to be sure not to experience it.

• Posted

This is really helpful thank you so much,.. It's good to hear that people do have good experiences after all! Xxx

• Posted

Thanks for sharing! I will definitely do what you did and request all the anti-nausea medicine they have in the building! I'm so glad to hear your surgery and recovery went well.

• Posted

Hi! I had my gallbladder out almost two years ago, and I didn't have any problems with nausea and vomitting after the surgery.  I felt great, except for the post op pain, which was minimal with the help of pain killers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.