Suspected ovarian cyst

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey I'm new here I was hoping to get a little advice if anyone has had anything similar as I'm getting really worried. I started with a dull pain the right side of my pelvis a few weeks ago but it was nothing too painful. Then a week I started with a pain in my inner thigh on the same side. It then spread up the back of my leg and bum and it went all the down my leg and my foot. The pain was that bad I could barely move. I went to my gp and he said it was the nerves from my ovaries, so it could be something pressing on the nerves. he referred me for a scan but said its up to 6 weeks waiting, he gave me 500mg naproxen which I took for 3 days, it stopped the pain in my leg but made me feel confused and sick so I stopped taking it. Now the pain is sharp again in my right side I'm really bloated and I have no appetite. I feel full after eating very little. I feel really sick and weak and little energy and I'm now getting little pains in my left side. I've made the error of reading things online and I've got myself really scared. I rang 111 today and they said I need to see a doctor ASAP and then an out of hours doctor called me and she basically shrugged me off and said my sick feeling is probably viral and may not be linked to my issue so she said to see how I am in a few days. Has anyone ever experienced something like this who could give any advice please? I'm really worried about what could be happening in there. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

HI Tammy,

Sorry you are going through this.

i know its easier said than done but try not to panic? How old are you? if your concerned about ovarian cancer rest assured it is super rare in younger women.

Do you suffer painful periods? If so you may have endometriosis or you may have a cyst or one may have burst. That does not mean cancer and there are several things it is more likely to be than something sinister.

are you sure you dont have an sti or a uti? Dont forget that your bowels are also in the same area and can feel like pelvic pain (when i had my son i asked the nurse why it felt like he was coming out through my bowels).

The other thing it kind of sounds like is sciatica. I get awful hip pain (not sure why) in my ovarian area and it can sometimes hurt into my backside. It doesnt radiate to my legs but i know sciatica can and thats pretty painful. Nerves are weird and a back problem can cause leg pain etc.

If things dont improve or get worse then go back to GP or to the emergency room but rest assured it is very unlikely to be cancer. Keep an eye on your temperature, thats usually a good indication of infection too, if it is high go back to dr.

• Posted

Hi Charlotte,

Thank you for your reply. I'm 27 years old. It's not an sti, they took swabs for infections a few weeks ago and they were clear then I was kind of left to deal with it until last week when I had all the bad pains. At first I though it could be sciatica but when I saw my gp and he felt around he said he thinks it something to do with my ovaries so I'll need an ultrasound. I'm more worried because I've read about complications with cysts and I'm scared in case it's something that's going to affect my fertility. I'm struggling to eat anything at the minute just feel so sick and my belly feels really heavy.

• Posted

I had something really similar to this recently. Pelvis pain and then pain in leg like you. Had an ultrasound and it showed nothing, and the pain is gone now. i think it was an ovarian cyst that burst, and the pain was caused by fluid in my body. Yours sounds similar. Hope it clears up soon.

• Posted

Hi Liz, thank you for your reply. Did you pain just stop then? My belly is feeling more heavy every day and like something is pushing down on everything. I'm going to call the doctor back today as I'm finding it difficult to go to work and stuff. I'm glad yours sorted I'm hoping mine does very soon because I'm getting so fed up.

• Posted

They didnt give you a cat scan?

i went in the er with thinking i might have a heart attack and i have a 22cm cyst and an 8 cm fibroid uterine tumor...having surgery Thursday actually...holy smokes...

I think mine is giving me dizzy spells and confusion but my PCP has said it shouldnt

...its a bowling ball pressing on my ovary...its screwing all kinds of stuff up...

They gave me a CAT scan at the ER and that is how i found out...let me know what happens!

• Posted

Hey, thanks you for your reply. Wow that's sounds dreadful 😦 I hope the surgery goes well I'm glad they found it straight away for you. My Dr has referred me for some scans but he said it's up to 6 weeks waiting list! I'm going to call the doctor back today as I feel pain in all my pelvis now and up my sides. My belly feels so heavy it feels like I'm going to be sick when I move. I also have diarrhea now. The only thing that has got better is the pain in my leg from the tablets they gave me but they made me feel funny too so I stopped taking them. I'm just really fed up now I feel like my body isn't mine. Let me know how your surgery goes, good luck x

• Posted

My symptoms have been getting worse over the last few weeks. I feel so unwell and worrying isn't helping. I have my scan date which is the 22nd and I have an internal examination tomorrow so hoping I can get some answers. I'm so worried as ovarian cancer symptoms are the same as what I'm experiencing. My belly is swelling more and the pain is spreading up the side of my body. Is this normal is its a cyst I've got?

• Posted

This is my belly now. I'm naturally very thin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.