Swollen leg after hip replacement

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi. I am 5 weeks post total hip replacement. My leg is quite swollen and feels very heavy- I guess this is normal? Just wanting reassurance that the swelling will eventually reduce !!!!

5 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Donna,

I am in exactly the same position as you. I am five weeks post op but the swelling and tightness in my leg feels as though its holding me back. I spoke to the physio who said that its normal and that the op is quite brutal. I still cant work out whether everyone has it though

• Edited

Could have written this response myself :-) 5 weeks post op, leg swollen, tight - and feels like it's holding me back! And have had similar reassurance from my physio. Follow up with surgeon next week, so will get another opinion then. But as you say, 'brutal' op, so not surprising... Good luck!
  • Posted

No, that much swelling 5 weeks out is not normal, I think. How much walking around are you doing? Are you icing the swelling? So tired of hearing 'that's normal'. 😡
  • Posted

See my website - where it says ...

Swelling       Very common after the operation, usually lasts for about one to two weeks, but may last up to six months. During the hip replacement operation your lymphatic glands turn off and slowly turn back on so swelling in ankles, knees and legs is common and not something to worry about.         [joashmv]

For the website address see ...

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

If you are still quite swollen after 5 weeks, then you might try lots of resting, icing and elevating. Overdoing things can delay healing. What qualifies as "overdoing" differs from person to person. It will get better!
    • Posted

Thanks for the tip. I am getting some replies and am satisfied that my progress and problems are ok.
  • Posted

I am betting you got a chorus of yes's! I think it got worse as I recovered enough to sit or stand more (swelling pools to the lowest point), so I had to learn to pace myself and to sit with my ankle partially elevated. However, it still got very bad.

Lying down with my leg elevated periodically (on a memory foam pillow arranged lengthwise undress my leg, smaller cushion under the pillow at the toes), helped me a lot. And of course keeping up with exercises to keep the circulation strong (even toe stretches helped whenever sitting or lying down. But .. we are all unique so you just need to find what works for you .

AND - seek medical advice if you have sudden swelling or pain and your leg feels hot and hard ...this could signal a clot which needs treatment.

Take care .. you are through the worst of it, although you need all your patience at this stage to pace yourself when everything in you wants to be 'healed' and independent again.

Here's to walking solo, driving yourself and packing all walking aids into the basement.

Regards,

Linda

• Edited

Hi Donna I am going to surgeon Thursday am I called to ask if the swelling and tightness I was experiencing was normal in my thigh and he wants to see me so now I am worried hopefully he just eats to reassure me. Will let you know.
    • Posted

Hi Donna Doctor said I am ahead of the game at six weeks Post op. Swelling , aching is normal as long as no fever even some burning in the incision area normal😊And the aching legs all normal everything is still healing and can take a year to be back to normal
    • Edited

Ooh! That burning sensation that sometimes made you jump in the middle of nothing because you touched a spot .... Now I can laugh at it, but the first couple of times were quite disconcerting!!!
  • Posted

Hi Donna, 

Warm welcome to our friendly forum of hippies of all flavors and in all stages -

It is normal, as said in previous comments, except when it gets painful and you have a fever -

Remember that hardware is installed in your body and area around is severely affected - it is healing and settling so to speak - 

When is your post-op follow up appointment with your surgeon? 

come back here any time, okay and let us know how you are getting on otherwise.

big warm

hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Donna I'm 6 1/2 weeks and see my surgeon later today for my 6 week check up. Ive wrote a list of questions and will add this one as I noticed yesterday that my muscles in my operated leg were really painful and my leg looked swollen. I've not experienced this for weeks so was quite surprised. Woke up today all is well if anything I feel like my muscles are so much better and much less painful.

I'll post back on the advice from my surgeon.

Take care

Sue x

• Posted

Hi Sue

thank you for your reply. Good luck with your follow up appointment. I am going for mine next week. Guess it's early days yet !

Donna

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.