Swollen leg after hip replacement

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi. I am 5 weeks post total hip replacement. My leg is quite swollen and feels very heavy- I guess this is normal? Just wanting reassurance that the swelling will eventually reduce !!!!

5 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Donna spoke to my surgeon and he says swelling at this stage is normal and can last some time. So don't worry just rest and elevate the leg when you can.

Hope you see an improvement soon.

Sue x

• Posted

Yep, I had it for a while, I was told by physio, to lie flat on the bed for an hour each afternoon to help with swelling.
    • Posted

I lie flat on the bed for every reason I can find! 😂😂😂
    • Posted

eek telling us secrets there annie.

I go to bed at 8.00pm sometimes, just so I can lie down and watch tv, more comfortable than my chair.

• Posted

Hi Donna, My right and left hips were done 8 months apart (should have waited longer) in 2014. February and November.  It is only now, beginning in Sept. of 2016 and getting slightly worse in the last two months that both legs and feet are uncomfortably swollen.  One doctor said to lower my salt intake.  I was thinking that if it was salt intake it should be affecting hands, arms, face...  Over the last couple of months the swelling has gotten a bit worse and more uncomfortable.  I just had new

hip x-rays done which revealed both hips were perfectly in place and looked fine.

This has happened so long a time after my surgery I am still investigating.

The medical appointment dealt with other pain I was having and I didn't address the swelling at that time because I needed to discuss other issues.  Sorry this reply is sort of "floating" all over the place.  Maybe something in this reply will be helpful--I hope.

cool

• Posted

I had my total left hip done in June 2017 and have had some swelling in my left leg and foot, but in the last 3 weeks it has increased to where my foot looks like a balloon. Leg is hard from the knee down and the foot feels constricted. RICE has been thoroughly in place, but it never completely dissipates and it returns more quickly each day. Ex-rays  show everything is perfectly in place. I had to use an ace wrap today. Any idea why this could be? My hip has given me no trouble since day one, it’s my foot, mostly, and my leg to the knee. 
  • Posted

Hi my op leg swollen my huby puts a ice pack on my leg in the morning flat I wash dress have breakfast go for a little walk then it is swollen again.but I must do my xersise iam in my 6th  day of my 3weeks
  • Posted

At about four days after the same kind of operation my leg and hip and the top of my buttocks started swelling. Now it is seven days and when I sit down on the operated leg it hurts a lot. I am not taking the pain meds. I do wish that that would be more people who would input this forum. That would be good to compare notes 
    • Posted

This thread by Donna that you have replied on is over two years old.To get more replies, I suggest you start your own discussion here on the Hip Replacement Forum. Just go either down to the left or up to the right and click on the "Start your own discussion" rectangle.

Swelling and pain are common and expected after hip operations, most especially if you are not taking pain meds! I took strong pain meds for 5 weeks post-op after my THR, and I needed them. Swelling for me went down completely by about week 3 after the surgery.

• Posted

Hi all. I am 5 weeks post op after posterior total hip replacement. Still walking with a cane. Yesterday I stood for approx 8 hours in delivery room with daughter having my Grandson. I could hardly get my leg in the car after it was so swollen. Put my leg up on pillows through the night and was better in the a.m today. But now swollen again. Especially around my ankle and foot. Very uncomfortable. Inscision looks good but gives me zings and twinges.

All you comments have made me worry less. THANKYOU!?

• Posted

hi I am very new to this only had my hip replacement on Monday but what a release not to have that terrible wish me luck for the next few weeks please

• Posted

Hi, i just had my right hip replaced on November 17th and it's sad to say it's refreshing to see that what I'm feeling is part of the norm and not something I have to be overly worried about because this swelling and tenderness is a b****.

• Posted

hi

i am 4 weeks post op total hip replacement right one and i am 47 i have swelling in right foot ankle and calf how long did yours last ? i am on one stick in house now but the swelling is so fustrating got water tablets from doctor but not made much difference just wondered if this is normal ?

• Posted

I'm same and see my leg very swollen. Curious to read others reactions and feedback. How can I do this?

Thank you for posting!

Lisé

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.