swollen lymph nodes behind ear and jaw?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Had my tonsils out last year and have had glandular fever for almost 3 years now. Started getting better after tonsils came out but now suffering from swollen lymph nodes for no reason? Under jaw and behind ear? Very painful and not aware of any throat/ear infections? Anyone else suffering?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have had swollen gland on my neck for a year now. Swelling went down a bit  in September last year then two months glands started inflaming. I have had all the bloods tests but doctors have no answer (no infection found) i am now taking high dose of vitamin c which helping slightly. The another day I bought some hay fever tablets and sudafed for sinus hoping that might be the cause. I know feel I have a cold think possibly caused by sinus trouble or hay fever. I was not aware I was hay fever sufferer but maybe if I persevere with tablets might be the reason. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I don't feel I have any cold or infection. No sore throat, no cold, no headaches just this random hard big painful lump in the back of my head. (behind my ear) going to see doctor tomorrow, fingers crossed. :-)
    • Posted

I also the same I didnt have sore throat, headache etc until I took hayfever tablet then I found nose started to run, sore throat etc. So I think I have blockage nose, ear, throat which possibly or hope is the cause of my swollen glands??? After countless visits to doctor........ keep saying no infections  I am forced to try find out the cause of my swollen glands myself.  I Hoping the tablets are loosening a blockage. I really hope you get a positive answer from your doctor, but i have given up with doctors now......totally frustrating. I am suffering but nothing they can do!! :-(
  • Posted

I did have glandular fever in my teens so possibly once you have an illness like that you are likely have glandular issues 
    • Posted

Thanks for replying, Yeah, I have the same problems after I had glandular fever. I got it when I was 16 and I'm now almost 20 and still getting problems. The tonsillectomy helped slightly but now having more gland problems and blisters in my throat where my tonsils used to be. 
  • Posted

Hi I have had similar problems. Two year ago my son who was 12 had GF, at the same time I had tonsilitis. My son was ill for about 2weeks but I was ok after a couple of days, but for approx 6 months after that I was suffering from very sore and swollen glands. Doctor said after repeat visits that I probably had GF at the same time as my son but in some cases rather than be really ill for couple of weeks it can drag on for up to 6 months. Now, 2 years on I often get swollen glands. Just this week it was slightly different I had pain in face and jaw so missed it and thought it was tooth ache. Went to dentist, dentist couldn't see anything so sent me to doctors. Again doctor said glands were all swollen in jaw and neck she couldn't see anything so just sit it out, probably a virus. So never get any answers but just have to get on with it. I must say it's not connected but I had Narcolepsy which is a auto immune disease so that may not help.
    • Posted

The doctors said same thing to me, I have them in my jaw then in the back of head, that was so painful. I have a shocking immune system after having the glandular fever and recurring tonsillitis for 3 years and then having my tonsils out I can now never fight off any bugs. Need to build up my immune system. Thanks for replying, it helped. 
  • Posted

Hi. I suffer the same symptom. I am just wondering whether you or people around you have been using liquid pens such as V7 or Energel or any highlighters?

I feel it is the pen. Really want to know whether you have the same experience? 

• Posted

You're kidding right? Highlighters?

If it's localized to one side and only in the facial area, it's probably a gum infection like gingivitis or a localized mouth infection - think a severe cavity.

Also to the person who said the dr's didn't find any infection in the blood work... They had to have seen elevated white blood cell counts. If they didn't then your lymph nodes aren't actually swollen.

If you can move the node then it isn't cancer, so don't worry. If you can't it is most likely an infection, they don't run blood tests for 'every infection possible' that'd be foolish and a waste, not to mention insane. And please please please stop asking for antibiotics whenever you go to the dr - I get the sense that some people on here are nightmares to actually talk to and deal with so you'll probably just get them so the dr can go back to treating actually sick people and not have to deal with you any more.

• Posted

1. You don't need to have an infection to have swollen lymph nodes. A virus or any type of inflammation can cause lymph nodes to swell.

2. Stop being a jerk. People are trying to find answers. You think that highlighters is a stupid question? You obviously don't have a clue to what you're talking about saying she doesnt have swollen lymph nodes because she has no infection.

3. I don't see anywhere that she is asking for antibiotics every time she is going to the doctor.

4. If you do not have answers, or cannot be nice, keep your comments to yourself.

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your post .I've had this exact pain and I lost a filling . I'm going to the dentist right now .

• Posted

I have the same case! I got my tonsils out last year and after it by about 1 month i felt the nodes under my jaw, ears are hardened and painful and they are also movable! I dont have any other symptom and i went to alot of doctors with no luck and they say there is nothing and maybe i have a small infection and i took all the medication and made x ray on my neck and alot of other stuff but also Nothing changed!! I am dying everyday of anxiety. I am afraid its cancer or even an STD please tell me its not and tell me what happened with u till now and is it changed or not..
  • Posted

I've had tonsillectomy 2 weeks ago after a low grade lesion was found on RH side tonsil. My LH side of mouth healed well and within a week. My RH side has a large swollen lump when I swallow and sore earache in R ear. I'm still on heavy pain meds. I just hope the Surgeon hasn't stuffed up my Lymph node or gland on that side. It's so swollen! I'm gonna try find a Naturopath tomorrow to get help. I've already gone to A&E and got Penicillin but it's not fixing the swelling.

Any ideas? Sounds similar to your issue.

• Posted

I've had glandular fever 9 weeks ago now, my neck literally isn't going down, my right hand side jar hurts so much and stuck a stiff neck, I also have a spot under my chin that's visible but also under the skin, it's like a little lump really hurts and really scares me! Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.