Swollen lymph nodes for almost 2 years

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi, almost 2 years ago i was sick and went to the doctor and he said my glands were up(lymph nodes) i felt them when i got home and kept an eye on them. I don't remember exactly how big they were. But the lump never went away which i always thought was strange. A couple months ago i felt more nodes in my neck on the sides under jaw and a couple above my colar bone they range from about 1.5 cm to 1cm which isnt very big but the one i noticed 2 yrs ago is about 3cm. Then a week ago i noticed some in my groin about 2cm to 1cm. Ive been worried sick for quite a while so a couple of days ago i visited the doctors. My mum and dad kept telling me its nothing but i went anyways - the doctor felt all of them and said the smaller ones may be noticeable because im quite skinny, she said that she wouldn't worry about them and that she has felt much bigger ones. I told her i thought they had grown slightly since i noticed them but she still wasn't worried. she said if i don't have any other symptoms like fevers its nothing to be concerned about. Im only 16 years old and i really don't want to be worried about this. All google says is lymphoma and its really been worrying me, if it it that it must be a slow growing type because they are growing very slowly but thats very rare at my age. What do you guys think- no other symptoms, doctors not worried whatsoever, parents arent worried. thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi, i'm in a very similar situation as you. for the past few months my lymph nodes have been up on my neck, under jaw behind my ears and recently also in the groin on both sides, mine are slightly smaller between 1 and 1.5 cm . i was sent for an ultrasound which showed normal looking reactive nodes. like you, i've had one node which would often come up during infection and periods of hayfever and never completely went away. according to my doctor this is not usual, lymph nodes can stay enlarged even after they are done fighting off whatever it is they are fighting. most of the time they are dismissed by doctors because they are actually doing what they are supposed to be doing. but if you're worried, i would definitely go back to the gp and ask for an ultrasound or more tests. try not too google, everything to do with enlarged lymph nodes will come back as lymphoma and most of the time it isn't anyway

• Edited

I had several lymph nodes pop up a little over a year ago now and never return to their original size either. it was shortly after a very bad upper respiratory infection, its 4 along the side of my neck, 2 on the front of the neck and two under the jaw. the palpable ones are under a centimeter but there are a couple over a cm and one over two according to ultrasound. still the results are normal they said and follow up ultrasounds have show no increase in size and actually some decrease. The doctors gave said sometimes nodes remain permanently enlarged after a bad infection or take a long time to go back to normal resting state. I would push for at least an ultrasound and basic bloodwork however nodes being unchanging for so long is very promising that they are completely benign

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.