Swollen Submandibular Lymph nodes

Posted , 4 users are following.

So, I have swollen bilateral Submandibular lymph nodes for about 1 month now. Doctor diagnosed pharyngitis. Didn't give me Ultrasonography. I did one on my own. At left side it says ' A well defined, hypoechoic, inhomogeneous solid area with central echogenic sinus and hillar vessel measuring about 1 cm in size is seen. Suggestive of lymphedenopathy." At right side swollen lymph node with 1 cm is seen. My question is, the lymph node on the left is very hard. I read that hard lymph nodes are usually red flag. Can pharyngitis cause this? Or it is a sign of metastasis?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don't know much about pharyngitis, but don't go by what Google says with worrisome lymph nodes it's not very accurate...

I have multiple swollen lymph nodes in my head/neck area now for 6 months. I've seen my reg Dr, ENT, Dermo, and an Oncologist lol (I wanted a variety of opinions). I also had an MRI and ultrasound. Apparently everything seems normal, their best guess is that it's the acne on my face causing my nodes to swell up. So weird right?

ANYWAY. All of the above doctors ^^ told me the same thing, the only real worrisome flag with lymph nodes is size. Anything under 2-3cm is considered normal and not worrisome. Even some 2cm ones can be normal, but 3cm and higher is a red flag. Besides that, the amount of lymph nodes you have, the texture, the pain or no pain associated with them means nothing.

I found this out firsthand bc one of mine feels hard and theres no pain and it's been here for 6 months now (these are all red flags according to google). However, this is the one I had an MRI of and it was found to be benign and normal. So obv none of those flags mean much haha.

Also, according to those Drs ^ other red flags associated with lymph node swelling are physical symptoms like persistent fever, bad/persistent night sweats, and rapid weight loss. If you don't have any of that I wouldn't worry.

• Posted

Mine is 2.76*.78 mm at Right submandibular and 2.7*.76 at right. When people mean lymph node size they mean short axis diameter, right? My short axis diameter is below 1cm.

Thanks for your kind reply. Helped me a lot. Google is a horrible place.

• Posted

Yeah it sounds like they mean 3cm or higher like from sticking out from your skin. Bc she said if they are golf ball sized that's a big red flag. One of mine is more like long and puffy instead of tiny and very prominent. So I'm assuming they mean 3cm sticking out from the skin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.