Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency

Posted , 13 users are following.

I've been studying this issue for many years....I've read a lot that mag is even more important than overloads of calcium, which can cause calcium deposits for just one issue....

Enough mag is needed for best calcium absorption. Then there is the Vit D deficiency......lots of deficiencies.

I don't know if any/many here are up on this mineral and how it could be related to fractures and all the hip issues many are challenged with.

I've been taking MORE mag than calcium for some yrs now, even thou docs push calcium and don't even discuss mag....that's conventional medicine for you.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the article that was pasted in full here as it breaches other website's copyright. Please do not paste whole articles in posts. You can add a link to it and this will be approved as long as it complies with rules for posting links. If it doesn't then links can be exchanged via the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

2 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Here is more on pain and magnesium deficiency:

Joint Pain and Magnesium Deficiency

Low magnesium can cause problems with the functioning of your skeletal muscles, including twitching, sore muscles, back and neck pain, and headaches. Additionally, patients who suffer from chronic joint pain conditions such as osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis often have abnormally low levels of magnesium, and may also be at a higher risk of developing osteoporosis, according to the National Institutes of Health Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases National Resource Center. Osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis are linked to a magnesium deficiency, either due to low dietary intake or malabsorption problems, says clinical nutritionist. The recommended intake of magnesium for women is between 310 and 320 milligrams per day, and for men it is 400 to 420 milligrams per day as per the National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements.

Personally and from working with other health support groups the RDA is low and one can take mag up to bowel tolerance...no side effects. I take usually 1500mg Mag Citrate in 500mg dose 3 times per day.

Keeps me good and regular too.

• Posted

Thanks for this, 85 l start taking the combo of the calcium and magnesium I have.
    • Posted

jilliboss, what does 85 mean, you've said this before and now I'm too curious...usually let things go, but now wonder.....j
    • Posted

Fat fingered it, spell check?  Lol sorry meant  " well, I'l "
  • Posted

Hi Joy,

Thanks for this, an interesting article.

I have just started taking magnesium sulphate (Epsom Salt) for chronic fatigue, and website confirms what you have posted, that every cell system can be affected by low magnesium. She works with sufferers of Chronic Fatigue, and says her patients almost invariably have low levels of magnesium. This is a direct quote:

"Magnesium by mouth

Are you taking enough magnesium in the diet? The recommended daily allowance is 300mgs for men, 350mgs for women. Magnesium is extremely safe by mouth – too much simply causes diarrhoea. Try increasing the amount of magnesium you take by mouth until it causes diarrhoea, then reduce the dose slightly so it does not. This is called taking magnesium to bowel tolerance (just like using vitamin C to bowel tolerance).

The richest source of magnesium in the diet is from chocolate (yippee, but care with the sugar!), nuts, green vegetables and seeds. Use a magnesium rich salt such as Solo. Use a bottled water rich in magnesium. Hard water also contains more magnesium than soft water. Most processed foods are low in magnesium."

She also recommends using a good double handful of Espom Salts in the bath as magnesium is also absorbed through the skin - good for people who do not tolerate it very well by mouth.

Jean

• Posted

Do you take regular ole Epsom Salts? I take mag citrate or malate or glycinate, mag oxide is the worst form to take...too much loose bowels with oxide.
    • Posted

Hi Joy,

Yep, regular ole Epsom Salts, Boots sold me a pot for £1.49 (other suppliers of pots are available!). Knowing it's reputation as a laxative, I took just a quarter of a teaspoonful in warm water in the mornings, and as that had no adverse effects (I don't seems to suffer with runny or clogged up gut, luckily) I have now increased that to half a tsp morning and night. Still no adverse effects, so will continue with this for a while and see if my fatigue improves.It is hard to tell at the moment as I have altered my diet so much in the last ten days, to a paleo type way of eating. Bit drastic, but it is definitely helping.

I was interesed to read about the "zips, zaps and vibratory sensations" as I had been getting what felt like insect bites, but weren't. They have stopped now. Also been getting feeling like I need to breathe in a lot, had put this down to low B12. I hadn't related osteoarthritis to low magnesium, but it makes sense.

Jean

• Posted

This is wonderful news jean! I am so happy for you.
    • Posted

Hi Marey, thanks for replying. It's early days yet, but quite honestly if ANYTHING makes me feel better, I am happy! Not nearly back to normal yet, or I suppose I have to think of a "new normal" now.
    • Posted

welcome jean...i'm going to follow you....will use any old cheapy stuff til i can find a good source...although maybe not....a friend got ill from taking synthetic vitamins...so care needed. x

hey what's 'new normal'? why not radiant health?

• Posted

jeanp, I've cleaned up my diet big time....I have NOT broguht bread into my house for over 3 yrs....don't need it, so avoid MOST grains.

I don't think I'll take epsom salts internally, I did mention to Kaleani what forms I take....a good friend who is challenged with CFS and horrible mailaise, likes magnesium glycinate. Those who know how to dose take to bowel tolerance...the recommended dose is TOO LOW FOR MOST.

Keep us posted on how you are doing...B12 is critical as is methylfolate....

• Posted

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering how is your fatigue using Epson salt? I'm thinking of trying it out 1/8 or 1/4 tsp with liter of water as I suffer from CFS.

• Posted

What kind of magnesium should i be looking for?  I think there are different types on the market.
    • Posted

I've bought many forms, but I seem to stick with a complex form which contains, oxide, citrate, succinate, TRAACS magnesium lysyl glycinate chelate..I've been buying this complex via online supplement companies....

A stand alone magnesium I use is Magnesium Citrate. Both these forms come in 500mg capsules. A lot of folks like mag glycinate and I have used it as well. As I said, I normally take 1000-1500mg per day in divided doses, this works for my body and bowel management.

Those with loose bowels in the first place need to go slower with mag intake.

Mag oxide is the most desirable form from everything I've heard and read.

Jean mentioned the mag sulfate, that is epsom sales and looking at the box of epsom salts I have, it says to take it as a laxative.... Dr talks about IV forms of this mag for cfs patients..So, I would not take epsom salts internall on any ongoing basis. Many people soak their feet in epsom salts/hot water....I keep needing to do that but don't get around to it.

• Posted

It's good to know there are different forms available, as I don't think the absorption levels are good taking it by mouth. Do you have any information about which form is most easily absorbed, Joy?
    • Posted

Something else ot mention, Joy, my pot of magnesium sulfate/.epsom salts says to tell your doctor you are taking it if you are going to have a anaesthetic or if you are pregnant or breast feeding. In fact, here's the full list:

Hazards and Cautions

Do not use in cases of intestinal blockage.

Consult your doctor before use if you are taking tetracyclines, digoxin, vitamins or iron supplements.

Do not use if you are pregnant or breast-feeding unless on the advice of your doctor.

Consult your doctor or pharmacist before use if you have kidney problems or you have been ill or you are elderly.

Tell your doctor you are taking Epsom salts if you are going to be given an anaesthetic.

Prolonged use should be avoided as it may cause alkalosis (too much alkali in body fluids) and increased magnesium in the body.

Keep out of reach and sight of children

Do not store above 25°C

Once opened use within one month.

• Posted

jeanp, two groups I know about who deal with CFS are Pro Health and Phoenix Rising. I've been with Pro Health for many years as I deal with FM but have friends who deal with CFS and horrible mailaise.

B12 and methylfolate are huge in CFS and other issues too

• Posted

Hi Joy,

I am aware of Phoenix Rising - good website, but not Pro Health. Thanks for that.

• Posted

Hi jeanp, person added his comments on Licorice Root and the CFS he has been challenged with for 30some yrs...

Says it helps him a lot and he's been taking it for 3 yrs....there is a post on this from 2005....

I take DGL which is deglycyrrhizinated licorice extract which has the element removed from licorice to not raise blood ressure....I use DGL to protect my stomach from the ibuprofen I take...it's called the stomach lining tamer.

I believe many dealing CFS deal with low blood pressure....joy

• Posted

Thanks Joy. I was eating liquorice from the health food store when my iron was low (has molasses in it which is packed with iron) but am cutting out a lot of things at the moment, trying paleo diet, and it seems to be helping a lot. In fact I walked six miles yesterday, with lots of rests, and that would have been unthinkable a few weeks ago. Am tired today but not wiped out. It's early days but am hopeful! And I am pretty sure the magnesium is helping too.

Jean

• Posted

jean, 6 miles...good on you...I'm lucky now to walk around my market and walk to the alley to take out trash...it's pathetic what I deal with since hip replacement....grrrr

Not too many yrs ago I walked 8 miles with a friend along our beach front....oh the way it WAS...

A good bridge friend who will be 93 in Oct walks all over our town, we have a wonderful walking town....and she pushes herself to go further and further, but then is done in the next day....she carries her cane on walks now.

She is amazing and no replacements in her body. Oh, we're all dealt with what we deal with and I know that....this leg discrepancy has been my downfall.....see ya....

• Posted

Oh Joy, I do know how blooming frustrating it can be, not to do what you used to. Before my first hip replacement I remember being on holiday in Scotland and crying because walking was so painful, it wasn't at all enjoyable despite the wonderful scenery. Now I am facing a revision and I don't know what that will bring, but as you say we deal with what we're dealt, and I was just elated to do a familiar walk without too much pain this time (leant VERY heavily on my stick though!) and without flaking out. Your friend sounds wonderful.

Take care and keep cheerful, I find swearing to yourself helps sometimes!

Jean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.