T4 level and symptoms

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello there i'm new to the group so thank you for having me.

i have only just stumbled across hyperthyroidism and possible graves and have been struggling on mu own with the symptoms for the last 8 weeks or so.

i have all the symptoms of hypothyroidism and am really struggling with the anxiety and not sleeping etc.

My GP is really not good and i have stumbled across this by myself. I had my bloods done in January and my TSH was 0.73 and my T4 was 21.6, they didn't do the the T3 for some reason. i have really stuggled the last few weeks and felt worse than i did in January and really don't feel myself at all. My question is, is this an overactive thyroid and possible Graves and should i keep on at the GP?

Thanks

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

@christine75226, hope you are doing better. I have been dealing with hyperthyroidism (an overactive thyroid) and am in remission since at least 2 years. Btw, did you mean to write hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism?

Here are some tips that might be helpful:

1. Keep a log of your test results. In the UK you can access your medical record online after registering an online account with your GP practice. I am using the Airmid app.
    2. It is important to specify the measuring units, It will make it easier to find reference ranges. For example, the range for the thyroid stimulating hormone level is: TSH: 0.38 -5.33 when measured in mU/L. I am assuming that you are referring to free T4 or FT4 in units of pmol/L?
    3. The most common symptoms of overt hyperthyroidism include an elevated pulse, a pounding heart, hand tremor, weight loss, difficulty sleeping, and a general state of nervousness.
    4. Regarding diet, I would avoid all sweeteners, especially Aspartame, and eat lots of cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale) as these lower the thyroid output.
    5. As long as your heart rate is raised I would avoid for example jogging or other forms of cardio workout.
    6. If it gets worse, ask for an appointment with an endocrinologist who will be able to determine the cause of the thyroid disorder.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.