Tablets masking something

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I have been taking antidepressants and anxiety and sleeping tablet on and off and different types since I was 20 (20 years) I am having to do cold turkey of medication other than thyroid tablets due to throwing up blood, cold turkey is horrible, wouldn't wish it on anyone or anyone surrounding that person, but, I feel all these tablets have actually been masking a problem to begin with, I don't think I am bi-polar, but o do think something is there, I have a awful temper, and it's short, can be terribly reclusive. My mind scrambles and my sentences I can't seem to get out, I can't remember most of my symptoms as cold turkey symptoms are awful and not the same as ones throughout my life, does anyone else feel this there undiagnosed and meds have masked something?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tilania, I'm sorry to hear you're going through such a bad time. Hard to say whether or not this cocktail of medications has been masking another psychiatric condition, but you are making a good point.

What does occur to me, however, is that some of the symptoms you're describing - your mind scrambling and being unable to get sentences out - can be side-effects of all three of the medication types you've described. They can also be withdrawal effects of antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds - particularly benzos in the latter case.

​I can identify with your feeling that your anxiety and depression might have been masking something else. I was diagnosed with depression in my early 20s and put on amitriptyline - one of the old tricyclic antidepressants - but had the good sense to take myself off it after a few months, so didn't suffer severe withdrawal problems. It was also mooted at one point that I might be bi-polar, which in the 1960s was still known as manic depressive, due to a tendency to get very excited and generally hyper about things on occasion.

After five years or so of depression (made much worse by the psychiatric approach of 50 years ago) I eventually realised I wasn't really depressed, I just couldn't cope with being me. It was only when I started being brutally honest with myself, around the age of 30, that I managed to climb out of it.

I too have always had the sensation that there's something wrong somewhere, though I know beyond doubt now that I only have a very minor bi-polar tendency, which doesn't require treatment. I had a bit of a breakthrough in my mid-40s, when by pure chance I managed to get enrolled on a research programme looking for adults who were possibly on the autistic spectrum, but had never been diagnosed as a child (as none of us were before at least the late 60s, of course). The verdict was that I definitely had a degree of Asperger's syndrome, but a lifetime of trying to "act normal" had altered the symptoms. There was no help available at that age, but simply knowing I wasn't in a minority of one was such a relief that I cried for three days!

I'm not suggesting for a moment that this is what you have. But with the benefit of hindsight I can see very clearly how my awareness of being different from everyone else led to my youthful depression, and how my longing to be "cured" of being me led to an incorrect psychiatric diagnosis. It may well be that something similar has happened in your case, though you're the only one who can unravel this.

I've never experienced withdrawal symptoms from psychotropic drugs, but I've seen several friends go through this, and know how bad it can make you feel, physically as well as mentally. I'm sure there will be others on this forum who'll be able to give you more detailed help. It's my understanding that antidepressants (unlike antipsychotics) don't permanently alter your brain chemistry, so you will eventually come through this very difficult time. Just try and be kind to yourself in the coming months. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

Omg lily, I haven't aid this to anyone but my daughter is autistic and we are so alike, I did a silly 20 mins online test and it claims to see I had tendencies or a very low form of autism, but I have always known I am

Different, my ex thought it was bi-polar, but researching it, it isn't at all, then I thought maybe a personality disorder, but what you said could make so much sense :-)

• Posted

I hope your doctor is working with you as you go cold turkey. Many meds must be weaned off. People honestly forget just because you have anxiety doesnt mean you dont get ailments too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.