Taking 15/500mg co codamol since June am I addicted?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everybody. I've been reading about codeine addiction on here. I had back surgery last June am taking recommended dosage but husband says I'm addicted as take every day.Only on 15/500 100 tablets that Dr prescribes every 3 weeks .Am not taking to get high but if taking every day then guess I am.When my husband said he would throw my pills away I was angry to point of hiding pills???😯

0 likes, 97 replies

97 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Amanda,

Back surgery is how my addiction started,9 years ago. I got tired of going to the doctors everytime I needed pain relief and when I went back to work, it wasn't an option as I was doing night shift so was easier for me to go to the chemist and get N+ OTC. If you can get by without needing pain relief, then try. Sometimes, I know in my case, the doctor prescribes so I must take, this was instilled into me growing up.

• Posted

Hi Did I.Thankyou for replying. Am wondering about trying to cut down but it's hard.I get neck pain and hip pain as had 2 operations since 2012.Do you still take co codamol or try not too?

• Posted

Hi Amanda

I got stuck in the cycle with N+ for many years, tapered and cut out completely for about 6months then had a major pain set back and started again. I was up around the 15 a day again but I found this time accidentally, I switched from ibuprofen and codiwne to paracetamol and codeine,I have no side effects or withdrawal symptoms and can go days and weeks without it, no problems.

You also have to bear in mind that a side effect from these drugs is that it can also give you back pain so it is a catch 22.

I try not to take them unless I am in alot of pain and normal pain relief and anti inflammatories don't cut it.

• Posted

Hi didi.I can't take anti inflammories as have high blood pressure. So you think that I could just go cold turkey? Perhaps just take paracetamol?

• Posted

What help or advice did your dr give to you about sudden withdrawal from codeine? BTW how much paracetamol do you take Amanda?

• Posted

yes it was Claire, but nothing compared to the 40  a day I was taking before I tapered and got off the first time. I was very careful monitoring it the second time because I didn't want to get back to where I started. I am now back at not taking them all the time, I can go days and weeks without it at all.

• Posted

You could give it a go Amanda, everyone is different. I do take MAxigesic if I need pain relief which is paracetemol and ibuprofen in one,but ibuprofen is also an anti inflammatory. You may even find your high blood pressure is associated with taking the medications. I always had low blood pressure, last time I had my BP taken it was rather high, when I was taking alot of codiene.
    • Posted

Didi You have done well. BTW people with asthma, kidney disease, poor renal function  ulcers, gastric problems should not take any NSAIDS , aka Ibuprofen, Brufen etc.  xx
    • Posted

Hi.My Dr hasn't given me any advice? ! Have done well today.So far had 2 paracetomol and 4 cocodamol xx

• Posted

Hi Didi I can't take anything with ibuprofen in as will raise blood pressure. Saying that Ive cut down to 2 paracetomol and 3 cocodamol so far today..Just clock watching till next reduced fix! lol.Shouldn't laugh really xx You have done so well.Well done you! An inspiration xx

• Posted

Thanks Claire.But I will have to take 2 cocodamol in 15 mins as neck hurting and hip.x
  • Posted

Amanda,

only you know how much pain you are in and if the tablets keep you pain free,why not take them.I suffer neck pain,C/S and take the recommended dose of 8 in 24 hours and don't consider myself an addict.

I sometimes wish other people could share my pain for a week or two,or in your case your husband haveing your pain and then ask his opinion.Why suffer pain when you can be pain free,is my line of thinking;pain limits what you can do.

• Posted

That's what I think. I have neck pain after neck surgery in 2012 which I knew wouldn't leave me pain free but do I take painkillers the rest of my life or go to work in pain?:My husband says its just aches and shouldn't warrant painkillers? Also got hip pain after lowee back surgery. Thanks for replying Benggo

• Posted

Hello

?The issue with codeine is that it has very nasty side efefecs including being highly addictive. Sadly drs do have to discontinue some people's medications due to the side efefcts. The dr usually ahas to complete any adverse reactions, side effects to the DOH . The MHRA. 

Patients can report the adr  online using the MHRA online form to do so.

• Posted

I meant to write that any adverse reactions have to be reported by the dr to the MHRA. Patients can also report them directly online now.

That way the Dept of Health can monitor the aderse effects of drugs and keep us safer. They encourage people to report any reactions or side effects.

• Posted

You have been in the wars Amanda,anyhow best of luck,lets all hope for a pain free future.
    • Posted

Hello.Yes.Let's all pray for pain free future! 🙇🙏😇 X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.