Taking 15/500mg co codamol since June am I addicted?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everybody. I've been reading about codeine addiction on here. I had back surgery last June am taking recommended dosage but husband says I'm addicted as take every day.Only on 15/500 100 tablets that Dr prescribes every 3 weeks .Am not taking to get high but if taking every day then guess I am.When my husband said he would throw my pills away I was angry to point of hiding pills???😯

0 likes, 97 replies

97 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello

Are you in pain still?

100 tablets every three weeks at this stage for back pain sounds a lot according to my GP.

Your husband really cares for you and he has noiced things are not right. That is good.

I think that you have got used to taking codeine. You are not the first to get addicted albeit innocently without realising it.

If possible avoid pain killers especially opiates such as tramadol.

​I was prescribedco codamol for back pain and even on three a week had serious side effects. My neurologist told me to stop takking them straight away. I went cold turkey . After ten days felt a lot better. It can be done.

• Posted

Hi Claire.I could be addicted but yes.I do get pain.I'm not in agony but it does hurt.I don't get side effects from cocodamol but am scared to stop taking them? I also suffer from G.A.D. and depression which is being managed by meds.Thank God for those meds!

• Posted

Arghhh Catch 22.Do you think that taking codeine caused this.I've suffered from depression and anxiety for many years but Thank God I'm not suicidal now and am working 5 days week.

• Posted

I don't know.

It depends when you started taking codeine or if the depression worsened when you commenced codeine.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that.It's an awful illness. I hope your better now.I don't think taking painkillers caused it for me.Many factors. But perhaps having extreme nerve pain plus worry about parents health causes mine.God Bless to you. xx

• Posted

Glad to hear that you are feeling so much better.

​Best to be guided by your dr.

Pain gets you down but codeine can be problematic. Only you knows how bad your pain is and if codeine is of any value anymore.

• Posted

Hi Amanda. Good to meet you. I had to face the truth. I originally tried to convince myself that I was doing it for pain relief and to tackle physical aspects. I know now that it is the 'high' I am addicted to. Being honest about this will change the way I tackle it. Good luck to you xxx Drew

• Posted

Hi Drew.Great to meet you too .How many cocodamol are you taking and what strength?I'm not taking for a high as do suffer from pain..xxx

• Posted

Hi Amanda. Sometimes three packets per day but at least two, i.e. 64 tablets... MADNESS xx Drew
    • Posted

Hello What strength are you taking Drew.

Are you trying to get off them like Amanda is?

• Posted

I definitely want to be free of it. I tried cold turkey a few months ago and I had to stop... not because of the pain but because I could not function around work and the family. I want to try again soon. I take standard Nurofen Plus. I have tried codeine phosphate but it doesn't work... it just makes me feel groggy. Love Drew xx

• Posted

My head felt like chewing gum and my body ached. I couldn't concentrate on anything. I can deal with this part of Cold Turkey as long as I am on my own and just lying in bed or watching TV. The problems arise when I had to think, go to work or even just have a long telephone converstaion. I lied to everyone and tried to pass it off as flu. The problem then is that people start stopping by to help (which is kind of them) but for Cold Turkey, you just feel you need space. I live alone so I don't have to worry about pleasing a partner... but you can only be around a partner if they know the truth and are trying to help. If your partner doesn't know the truth, it is hard for them not to notice that it is more than just a cold or flu you're going through.

I wish there was somewhrer where I could go for two weeks to go Cold Turkey. I would then pretend I was on holiday xxx Drew

• Posted

These detox places are very expensive as I have just found out when I did a search.

You seem motivated. Don't give up trying to get off this very addictive drug.

• Posted

I'd love to be able to do it. We ought to form a club here where we accommodate each one of us for two weeks:-) xxx Drew

• Posted

I am even wondering whether, with the right support, we should start a charity that deals exclusively with painkiller addiction. If I could raise enough funds to afford a few detox beds and facilities, it would be tremendous. The orgnaisation should only deal with painkiller and presecription drugs and not try to be involved in the whole sphere of drug addiction. Our posts are proving how widespread this is and the lack of support available. I am sure it could be successful. Any thoughts?? xxx Drew
    • Posted

Good idea. The detox centres is a growing business thanks to prescribed opiates . They  charge between  £3,000 and £5,0000 per week.

• Posted

five thousand a week , they like people to book in for at least a month!!
    • Posted

And lots of people haven't got that kind of money. If there was a charity, we might be able to raise it if enough people were involved. We may also be able to attract some lottery funding maybe xxx D

• Posted

Yes .George Michael may have helped had it still been alive. What about approaching other celebs such as Elton John, Paul McCartney, Sharon Osborne, Ozzy Osborne?

• Posted

Hi Sally. These are great ideas. I would need to set p a registered charity first. I will look into it and then see if you or one or two thers here would want to be involved. Do you know if there are any charities that already work in this field? Does anyone know. I know there are charities that deal with the whole range of drug and alcohol addiction. I think it would be better to focus exclusively on pain killer addiction. People who are addicted in this way tend to have different stories (not all) to herion or cocaine adiction. I know it's difficult to generalise but most of the people here I've read about started their addiction because of their fight for pain relief xxx Drew

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.