Thanks

Posted , 8 users are following.

Been lurking on this site for weeks previous to surgery. I'm male, 59 yrs old and an old motorcycle accident finally caught up with me the last 12 months (actually 10 yrs. I just didn't know what the pain was).

Had surgery on the 9th July and am doing OK. Had a great team and the op was an "old school" posterior procedure with ceramic and polyethylene prothesis. Couldn't handle the endone so am using paracetamol/codeine as required for pain. First decent sleep last night. My point in posting though is to thank the participants in this forum. I have an issue and sure enough there is the answer on this site. Very supportive! Oh one question today. Since just after surgery I have had small irritations on my back which formed small scabs and are now itchy. I have robust health and am not taking any other meds except those mentioned. 

Any other (minor) sufferers?

4 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum, I have found it invaluable in so many ways. Great news that you got a good sleep, as you would have read many of us battle with night times. I stopped my slow release targin last night as it causes insomnia and I was fed up with lying staring at the ceiling listening to my husbands snoring at 12 MN!!

I am also a nurse (sounds Like a confession!!). Just wondering if your back irritations are from the plastic hospital mattress. I've seen the back rash lots of times and it's usually from sweating. Some calamine lotion might ease the itch.

All the best in your rehabilitation 👍

• Posted

Hey Georgie.

Reckon you are right about the plastic bedding as I had the sweats bad in hospital. It's supposed to be a reaction to Propofol. I too was on Targin in hospitalbut asked to stop as it was doing my head in (plus the Endone).

Actually my daughter is a Nurse Practitioner so she has been helpful with a lot of my questions but really this site has been invaluable. I like many others pushed it once out of hospital and went to the shops using just a walking stick... Been a few days of remorse.

Ha shame about hubbies snoring. Lucky for me my girlfriend has me in her spare bedroom which has an ensuite!

• Posted

good morning Andy ... good to have you on this forum ... it is so great to be able to ask questions or concerns and get responses from fellow hippies who know exactly what you are going through that are not mentioned anywhere - even professionals don;t know - and oh, all the emotions and frustration, but also all the accomplishments and victories, small and big ones ..  

what an annoying place to itch !!! do you us one of those back scratchers or have someone dear who scratches your back ????

As Georgie mentions, it might be an allergic reaction - did you have this rash in the hospital too ?  

are you on blood thinners - 

sounds like you are doing great otherwise ... nothing to sniff at a good decent sleep ... 

have a wonderful day -

warm hug

renee

• Posted

G'Day Renee

My grand son gave me a back scratcher when I was I hospital! Yes I am on blood thinners but have no idea how long as there is numerous opinions via nurses, GPs, chemists. Seeing my surgeon on Thrursday so he should stop the debate (apparently its a new drug so little understanding).

You are so right about the ups and downs, the emotions that only those who have been through it understand.

My girlfriend has been very patient and understanding but next week I am off to stay with friends to give her a break.

Thanks for your warm welcome

• Posted

I was given antihistamine in hosptial as I got itchy from the morphine. Always had a spot free back and it too got covered. They went when I stopped taking the morphine however I pedis covered that this antihistamine  made me drowsy and helped me sleep....so I have used them to do that. It's an over the counter drug and I have done this before e.g. Wild camping with bears around to help get me to sleep.

Haviing a bed to yourself is the best for recovery. too.

Many folk find their body will play snakes and ladders with recovery. If you hit a snake don't despair it's just nature telling you to slow down for a bit.

I added that last bit as yesterday I di my biggest walk and was full of false pride. I had so much groin pain last night I thought I had done real damage - today I feel recovered and will learn my lesson.

Good luck to you and don't worry if some days you feel a bit weepy as this is normal too. I have found ice cream applied internally helps with this

take care and don't pick the scabs  😊

• Posted

Aha Christine seems like this was the issue and yes the staff gave me an antihistimine for those early days itch. I am amazed at the roller coaster physical and mental states. The first week felt like it was somebody elses body which sweats and chills etc and yes the emotions which indeed needed ice cream and currently a nice glass of Merlot! I too used to go wild camping, recently in hammocks but the last year that all went by the wayside. Can't wait to lay out in one of my hammocks listening to the sounds of the bush. No bears in my country but plenty of snakes to watch out for at night!
  • Posted

now curious ... where do you live?   On antoher note and not hip related, I rather have bears than snakes !!!!!

I lived in Los Angeles for over 34 years and guess what ? we have both !!!

• Posted

Ha Renee I live in Australia at a place called Byron Bay on the east coast. Plenty of sharks here too. Actually three attacks in the last few weeks, one bad.
    • Posted

eek  must be  beautiful ??? I don't know Andy .... sharks in the water, snakes on the ground ... or in trees ...and you in a hammock ???

I am going to Google Byron Bay ..

be safe 

• Posted

HA Renee it is beautiful and yes nature is full of animals that need respect esp in this country. Time for bed here now. Goodnight.
  • Posted

is that where you had the spinal injections to numb the legs whilst you had the op? i am 10 weeks post op and i still need the cocodydramol as and when needed as i am not allowed anti inflammortories due to being diabetic, and i take enough tablets with that lol

• Posted

Hello Marilyn

No it started on the upper back and then seem to be random. My girlfriend put cortisone cream on it just before bed last night and I even had half an antihistimine. Finally worked. Geez sorry to here of the complications of diabetes. It must have added another layer of fear pre op.

• Posted

Good night Andy ... just watched some videos about Byron Bay ... looks like paradise ... absolutely beautiful nature and people !!!! 

warm hug

• Posted

Yes been here 40 yrs and love the beaches and the bush. Certainly a town full of characters and I guess I'm one of them! LOL!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.