Thanks

Posted , 8 users are following.

Been lurking on this site for weeks previous to surgery. I'm male, 59 yrs old and an old motorcycle accident finally caught up with me the last 12 months (actually 10 yrs. I just didn't know what the pain was).

Had surgery on the 9th July and am doing OK. Had a great team and the op was an "old school" posterior procedure with ceramic and polyethylene prothesis. Couldn't handle the endone so am using paracetamol/codeine as required for pain. First decent sleep last night. My point in posting though is to thank the participants in this forum. I have an issue and sure enough there is the answer on this site. Very supportive! Oh one question today. Since just after surgery I have had small irritations on my back which formed small scabs and are now itchy. I have robust health and am not taking any other meds except those mentioned. 

Any other (minor) sufferers?

4 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

10 days post op, also old school posterior, full ceramic implant, had my best sleep last night, cant sleep on my back so sleep om my side with pillow between legs, had one tramadol and half a restavit and slept all night apart from one pitstop about 0230, went for 3km walk on crutches today, bit tired on return but no pain in hip, see surgeon tomorrow hpefully all good
    • Posted

G'Day Warwick

Interesting that you sleep on your side as so many have said that it is wrong to do but yes the nurses told me it was fine as well and I am tentitively doing so when my back can't stand the pain any more. Had a few shocks wake me up though...Sharp pain in the hip if I move forward. Also interesting that most on here use crutches. I wasn't given the option and to be honest am finding the walking stick very difficult if I walk anything over about 30 metres. See what time does I guess.

• Posted

Hi Andy

I am 3rd time around sleeping on my back - I am a side sleeper and have never been able to sleep on my back. However I was told to sleep on my back and after some experimentation I have found it can be done. - I found a pillow under my calf helped a lot to relieve pressure on my back and leg. I also put  pillows around my body so I am helped to stay still and feel snuggled. I am in the spare room so I can suit myself on sleeping patterns.

Good luck - I follow instructions to the letter  as my consultant says dislocation is the PITS and fellow posters say the same. A dull book also helps sleep as does a sneaky anti histamine smile

• Posted

Thanks so much Christine, they are great suggestions. Yes dislocation is definitely the pits as I was told the hip never recovers fully after.... Lately I have put a small pillow under my knee on affected leg. That eased the numbness a little. Oh and I too use antihistimines to sleep occassionallycool
  • Posted

Reason they say to not sleep on side is becuse if leg crosses centrline line you can risk dislocation, I keep pillow firmly gripped between thighs and my legs together and no dramas, be interesting to see what sugeon says tomorrow, but I've never been a back sleeper and just couldn't handle lack of sleep, Good Luck

• Posted

Cheers and good luck  with you surgeon visit. Mine is Thursday
  • Posted

Hi Andy

Glad to hear you're doing well.  I have also always been a not-on-my-back sleeper but  as Christine suggests, judicious use of pillows around you can help - I've now (3 wks post op) kind of got used to it.... with a pillow under my knees and another further down under ankles (I was getting contact pain in my heels, so getting them off the bed has been great).  On the first few nights home I awoke at least once a night with super-sharp shocks - shouted out loud! - not sure if I'd done something as there was no lasting hurt - explained to the (slightly perturbed) family that it might have been the little men inside me plugging the wrong wire back into the wrong socket wink

• Posted

Ha Neil that's exactly how those shock pains feel! Last night I tried that method (with pillows) and it worked well considering I have backed off on pain meds due to constipation and general fogginess. Yes the contact pain in my heels was driving me to distraction. Thanks for your input.
    • Posted

Hi Andy

i recommend porridge as it clears both mind and bowels -  even if you do need Senna to help.

in this heat I have also found sleeping under a duvet cover to make back sleeping easier. My duvet is beside me on the bed so if I get cold I can just pull it over my torso leaving my legs less weighed down.

yup I guess 3 hip operations in less than 2 years has got me some new found talents in the art of back sleeping. A new career beckons 😄

• Posted

Ha new carreer as a sleep expert! Sounds good. Sadly it is winter here but yes I have kearned to discard weightier covers.

Thanks for the porridge tip and I will have some right now as I know there is some in the cupboard somewhere... I also got stuck into the prunes. Wondered why my old mum used to make me eat them!

Cheers

• Posted

No probs a rolled up towel under your ankles is also a good alternative  giving a bit more height for your heels to be off the bed - although I found that I was more likely to kick this out of bed than a pillow....
    • Posted

Will try tonight Neil but yes I tend to move a bit at night and can see that towel getting the boot. The sharp pains have definitely backed off though. What gets me is that I am full of beans in the morning, do a few things (with walking stick) but by lunch....Crash. Nap time
    • Posted

same here, Andy ... I am not familiar with being "full of beans" - is that like a rocket or something ...

So, I have adapted to this new rythm ... do my things in the morning and feel I deserve couch time afterwards ...

• Posted

That sounds like a pretty good rythm

Full of beans I guess comes from Mexican jumping beans I guess! LOL! Yes Renee it rather nice to have a civilised afternoon nap.

• Posted

Yep it's easy to think you're back 100% but rthen whammo.  Resting up in the afternoon is a great plan. Especially useful if your leg has started to get swollen - getting it up above your heart is the key to help it drain.  I lie on the bed with my operated leg propped up under the calf on an upturned empty washing basket with a pillow on top of it! works a treat!  ... and then close my eyes.... and suddenly it's an hour later.....  never been an afternoon napper but I'm beginning to see the joys of it
    • Posted

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering from a fat leg (and foot). I will attempt the washing basket trick as I have one right here in the room with me. Ta Neil

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.