The day has come- enough!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'll try and keep it succinct. After years of taking co-codemol for genuine back pain I've moved up the tolerance and strength ladder and now I take dihyrocodiene. I'm sick and tired of the cycle. Long gone are the days it's an enjoyable drug. It's survival now. I need them not to feel like total s**t- I say this because even taking them I feel like s**t. If anyone could tell me the best way to tiltrate I'd be really grateful. I get a prescription of 60 every week, and at the moment I tend to have the first 2 days at a dose of 20 then spend the last 5 days hopelessly trying to make the 20 last snd being in a state of withdrawal. Last week I took too many and have had none since yesterday morning, so last night I didn't sleep, I have severe tummy cramps and runs, no energy etc. I pick up a prescription later and I'm wondering how to go about it to make it as painfree- and thus achievable as possible. If I can 'manage' the withdrawal symptoms, I will do it as I've had enough.

Am I better taking each days 8 tablets I should be taking in 1 hit? Splitting? What will give me energy enough to get through the day? It's the days I struggle with the most, as I just can't function and sometimes even struggle to get off the sofa. 

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm not a bad person, without boring everyone opiates fill a very real and emotional hole left by a bad childhood. The first time I felt ok in my life was the first time I took them. Oh the irony! 

Regards,

Lesley ??

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lesley, ok so firstly you need to see your GP and be totally honest with how many you are taking, ask him for help and put a tapering plan in place, go slow and steady and this will reduce the amount of withdrawals youl be suffering from.

Keep active as much as possible, push yourself to go for a walk it will make you feel better, hot baths with magnesium salts, eat well and keep hydrated, lavender oil on your pillow, heat/ice packs, take vitamins these will help with muscle cramps

Magnesium, calcium, Zink

Vit d3 + k2

B12

Omega 3

I was taking opioids for a long time and went cold turkey... not a good idea, I still suffer from withdrawals now 12 months on, I would never do that again it is extremely dangerous and very unnecessary to suffer so please go slow you will get there, good luck and keep us updated with your progress 😊

• Posted

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Going to the gp isn't really an option; I just don't want it on my file so to speak. Without divulging personal information, whilst I'm a stay at home parent at the moment in s few years I want to go back into the medical profession and it'll be difficult should I disclose.

I have tried just stopping before, and I'm tough but it was too tough for me- and it made my family suffer more than they already are- so tapering is the only way.

• Posted

Ye I understand, so the best way is to drop 1 tablet every 3-4 days but if this gets tough then try 1 tablet per week, judge how you body reacts and taper accordingly, do not try and rush this you will make yourself ill, slow and steady, please stock up on the vitamins I mentioned youl be surprised how well they work for muscle pain and fatigue and plenty water, youve got this just stay with it and remember we're here to help you through, good luck😊

• Posted

Oops hit send to early! 

I am just wondering if I'm better takingvthe whole days 8 prescribed in one hit, and I'm used to taking a large hit, or spacing them out over the day? In people's experience, what causes less withdrawal? 

Thanks for the extra info, a warm bath is my only source of escape when withdrawing as it does, miraculously help with the symptoms. 

I'm aware this is going to be a lifetime issue for me, long after I've beat the physical symptoms I'm going to have the mental cravings. 

I'll make sure I'm stocked up on multivitamins etc as withdrawing feels like the worst case of anemia, so who knows, perhaps there is a link.

I just know that right now my life is miserable, and painful. I can no longer enjoy beauty in life. I'm not one to wallow in self pity but my quality of life is pretty poor. I reached a physical low a long night time ago, but this morning I've reached my emotional/mental low and refuse to carry on. 

I want my life back- and I just have to accept I'm never ever going to feel that warm, safe euphoria from opiates again. It's gone. How I'll fill that hole innit quite sure- but having s change to live an everyday, normal life where I see and feel- well I'm confident that'll be enough 😬

• Posted

I know it's difficult but when you reach your end goal your life will change for the better and you will feel good again, one day at a time, as for the amount you take I really can't comment, I was taking 4 x 75 mg of palexia/tapentadol, I cut my mirning daily dose out first week, second week my third dose then had a week off but the 4th week I dropped the last two doses together and that's when I became very ill but stuck with it and spent 7 weeks in withdrawal and now I have PAWS because I went to quick. right now is not where you want to be forever so your right it's time to do something about it, today is the first day of the rest of your life and you've already took the first steps in your recovery 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.