THR done 27/7

Posted , 13 users are following.

Morning all,  I have been viewing this site for a few weeks now prior to my op and today whilst sat in my hospital bed decided it would be a great time to register smile 

I am 44 years old and had my first hip replacement on Monday this week. I was diagnosed 18 months ago with osteoarthritis in both hips, the right being severe, left is moderate. Over that time, the pain has increased and my lack of mobility has declined. After losing 4 1/2 stone early part of this year and feeling no benefits through my hip, the decision was made by me to improve my quality of life and get the operation done.

I am currently in Frimley Park Hospital in the Park Side suite hoping to be released for home this morning. 

My operation went well, insertion of a full complete ceramic hip but had some complications during the operation of an artery bleeding and me losing around 1000ml of blood. My surgeon said that my muscles surrounding my hip are athletically strong and therefore had a hard time stopping the blood.

Recovery after the surgery was a bit fraught the first couple of days, violently ill and blood pressure so low, me fainting in the bathroom and looking anaemic was enough for them to decid to give me a blood transfusion on Tuesday night which I have to say helped me feel more human. 

I am up and about walking now, doing my Physio but finding that I suffer with severe aching and throbbing pain from hip down to calf which can reduce me to near tears (I am a tough cookie and have a high pain threshold) after speaking with my surgeon yesterday, he advised that my severe swelling on the operated side is due to excess blood floating around the leg, which will disperse but will then result in the leg bruising from top to bottom 😕 it should all calm down over the next few weeks. he has suggested lots of pain killers, heat and ice packs applied and keep the leg moving.  

So today is the start of my learning to cope at home. My family are looking forward to me being released  (hubby, daughters age 14 and 10) and I can't wait to get there. It will of course bring a whole new set of challenges for me and how to cope day to day on things in the past which were simple to do. My daughters will have to help me put on my sexy stockings that I need to wear each day and I need to learn not to over do things and take it easy (that is a massive challenge for me) 

I am looking forward to chatting with you over the forthcoming weeks, months and years as I will be having the left done too at some point so will be around for while.  smile 

thanks for reading this, have a great day  

9 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good morning Sarah,

Welcome to this wonderful forum and community.

so happy that you decided to join us here to share your experiences -

You probably already have noticed that we share everything, the good, the bad and the ugly ... everything is treated with respect, great compassion, understanding and so much love ...  and great sense of humor as well to put everything in perspective -

Wow, that was a rough start - sounds that you are well looked after though -

I am sorry that your leg is so painful and hope that you get pain medication for it - it is major surgery and your body has gone through a lot of trauma - 

Have you watched the video on THR on youtube yet? Not for the squeamish !!!!

after watching it, I found a great respect for my body (and the surgical team) and have abetter understanding of what and how it was done ... 

Lovely that you have so much support at home - most challenging will be to ask for help and being dependant on others - allow them to help you .. 

Have a wonderful day ... take care and be gentle with your self - I hope you can go home soon -

warm hug

renee

Please come here when you have any questions or concerns, okay -

• Posted

Good Morning Sarah and welcome to the forum.

WoW you have been through it already.

Yes those TED stockings don't win any prizes that is for sure. I call them medevil torcher devices. I can't stand wearing them. But if you have to, you have to. What blood thinners are you on if any. Are you on Asprin or the belly injections or nothing ?

Best thing you can do in the early stages is rest as much as you can. You will feel very tired and more so if you have had to have a blood transfusion. Keep your legs elevated. It will help with swelling. Keep up with any physio given to you.

I hope when it comes to doing your second one things go better for you,. :-)

• Posted

Morning Sarah 

welcome aboard.  Today is all set to be a lovely day in so many ways.  Your girls will just love having you home so they can practice their nursing skills.  If you have been reading other people's posts, you will have seen that week one is a little more challenging. It seems that everyone improves in leaps and bounds though once they have settled in at home.  It won't be long before you are feeling strong, healthy and capable.  

I remember when I was in, just 8 weeks ago, my big issue was fainting and low blood pressure and it delayed my trip home by a day. However, once home, day by day and week by week I could achieve more and more.  By week 5 I had turned a corner and was walking without sticks and completely wore myself out catching up in one day with laundry, housework and shopping. 

I also amknown for being strong and positive but on day 3 in hospital I was very tearful and felt so defeated by things. Nurses told me that it was like the post natal baby blues - it's normal.  

So, today the sunshine has come out to welcome you home.  I found the worst part of the recovery was those horrid stockings.  And if that's the worst , well, the rest is plain sailing. 

Hope you can go home with a smile on your face. 

Laura 

• Posted

Good morning sarah I will have a good read of message later as I am just off to work you will thoroughly enjoy this site and you will get full support from other members love lyn short for marilyn
  • Posted

Yay, go you, life is just about to change in a really good way but you have to go through the rubbishy bit first.

Joining this forum was the best thing I did, everyone if so lovely and supportive and usually someone is around when sleep is elusive in the first couple of weeks.

Go with what suits your body in the first weeks - mine mostly said "Lie down, immediately".

4 weeks on and I am feeling better than I have in years.

Have a look on the discussion about War Wounds and you can see what our scars are looking like for you in the weeks to come. Good luck in breaking out of hospital xxxx

• Posted

Hi Sarah!

I'm 44 as well!  I had a LTHR early this year but have had a few complications. Sounds like you've been through a lot, so obviously rest is going to be your 'best friend'.  Good luck for discharge from hospital and it sounds like you've got a lovely family to help, let them!!  I don't know what I would have done without my fiancé, but he works FT and from v. early in morning so I had to have some Home Help during day for first month.

Good luck and get those legs elevated cool

• Posted

Good morning Sarah,

I too am new to this particular forum, as previously I was following the Osteoarthritis one.  Now I have my own op date of 7 September for my left hip and felt I needed more information, or so I thought.  Not sure whether it is better to be well informed or not!  I thought I was feeling fairly positive, but the more I read I'm not so sure, but one thing I can confirm that everyone seems so supportive.

Sorry to hear that your experiance was so dramatic but once you are home your will start your recovery with the help of your family.  Good luck.  Will follow your progress with interest.

• Posted

Hi Sarah

as you'll see, and as I found, there are lots of wonderful people here who will be there for you!

Good luck, sounds ike you had a horrid start to this all, but I hope that once you're home things will get better (much nicer to have your family around you).  Take it easy and let them wait on you!

Best wishes

Neil

• Posted

Just another thing, I had to be in hospital for a week for my THR and getting home made me immediately feel better emotionally.  Take care

Juliet x

• Posted

Thanks everyone for you replies

I am waiting for my meds to take home but my blood thinners are Roxyban??? (Not sure if that is spelt correctly) only other meds I take are paracetamol and nurofen.

I didn't consider elevating the leg to reduce the swelling as most of it is wasted blood floating around.

I must admit that I expected to sail through this operation considering I felt in good shape health wise apart from the dodgy hips, just goes to show that anything can happen. That said, it wasn't major just a blip in a normal operation procedure and it hasn't put me off getting other done, I am just not going to rush to do it.

I think going home helps recovery so much more and the thought of being back in my home, my bed and walking around in the buff I want without somebody suddenly opening a door to do your blood pressure, heart rate or temperature

The hospital have been fantastic, the nurses and catering staff are so attentive. Physio are also fab. Here's hoping my external Physio will be too. I will definitely have the next operation here using the same consultant

• Posted

Welcome from Australia Sarah,

I am 45 and just over 4 weeks following RTHR for OA. I had anterior approach. Up and about very quickly. I have 3 girls (9, 9, 12) who were excellent with my stockings and shoes etc. it's been funny as I've progressed they have often been the ones to notice my milestones....like stairs, sitting on the floor. At my age I did get a little fed up with hearing....you're too young for it....seems I'm not as was struggling on crutches for 3 months before with very limited mobility.

Hope you enjoy this fabulous place for us hippies, so much information.

💌🌈💌🌈💌🌈

• Posted

Lol I know what you mean about people commenting on how young to have it done. If I had a pound for each time I heard that. I would be hobbling out of here a rich lady

Good to hear you are recovering well. My youngest daughter, Aria will be a fantastic help I am sure. The 14 year old, Melody will take some persuading to help as it all about her at the moment

I am looking forward to really getting into the forum once I am home as wifi here is a little sporadic

Have a great day xxx

• Posted

I agree! Show me the money!! But maybe younger hippies are becoming more common, I'm not surerolleyes
    • Posted

Welcome to the forum Sarah. I'm almost on week 5 five . an older hippie. I have found answers to so many questions here things you are not told by hospital. I still have leg swelling even tho I elevate every day. Expect to be tired and take plenty rest. All the very best.
  • Posted

Yay, I am also considered young at 52. I think the thinking has changed as well as the developement of longer lasting prostheses. We just have to make sure we preserve them as best we can.

I had massive bruising and swelling but elevation and massage, ice packs and exercise got it down fairly quickly.

The rivaroxaban is your blood thinners to stop clotting - I am just finishing mine now. They do the same job as some on here having injections and just make sure you seek med help if you cut yourself!

I am hearing Mission Impossible music - hope you have escaped from hospital!

• Posted

Hi Kate

Yes I escaped (with music) Now home and settled on my bed with cat on lap.

Car journey was hard so might have to leave going back out in it for a few days. It's great to be home though.

Going to rest for a while and then do my Physio exercises

Hubby has had to go back to work so home alone for 3 hours hence I thought it was safer to be upstairs resting. The stairs were much easier than I anticipated too although going down may present a new challenge to me. I guess it's over coming each thing as you go along smile

It's just great being home... Now I can relax

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.