THR done 27/7

Posted , 13 users are following.

Morning all,  I have been viewing this site for a few weeks now prior to my op and today whilst sat in my hospital bed decided it would be a great time to register smile 

I am 44 years old and had my first hip replacement on Monday this week. I was diagnosed 18 months ago with osteoarthritis in both hips, the right being severe, left is moderate. Over that time, the pain has increased and my lack of mobility has declined. After losing 4 1/2 stone early part of this year and feeling no benefits through my hip, the decision was made by me to improve my quality of life and get the operation done.

I am currently in Frimley Park Hospital in the Park Side suite hoping to be released for home this morning. 

My operation went well, insertion of a full complete ceramic hip but had some complications during the operation of an artery bleeding and me losing around 1000ml of blood. My surgeon said that my muscles surrounding my hip are athletically strong and therefore had a hard time stopping the blood.

Recovery after the surgery was a bit fraught the first couple of days, violently ill and blood pressure so low, me fainting in the bathroom and looking anaemic was enough for them to decid to give me a blood transfusion on Tuesday night which I have to say helped me feel more human. 

I am up and about walking now, doing my Physio but finding that I suffer with severe aching and throbbing pain from hip down to calf which can reduce me to near tears (I am a tough cookie and have a high pain threshold) after speaking with my surgeon yesterday, he advised that my severe swelling on the operated side is due to excess blood floating around the leg, which will disperse but will then result in the leg bruising from top to bottom 😕 it should all calm down over the next few weeks. he has suggested lots of pain killers, heat and ice packs applied and keep the leg moving.  

So today is the start of my learning to cope at home. My family are looking forward to me being released  (hubby, daughters age 14 and 10) and I can't wait to get there. It will of course bring a whole new set of challenges for me and how to cope day to day on things in the past which were simple to do. My daughters will have to help me put on my sexy stockings that I need to wear each day and I need to learn not to over do things and take it easy (that is a massive challenge for me) 

I am looking forward to chatting with you over the forthcoming weeks, months and years as I will be having the left done too at some point so will be around for while.  smile 

thanks for reading this, have a great day  

9 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sarah

Welcome to the hipsters.  Wow you had a rocky start to your journey but it makes for a great story!

I also kept passing out every time they got me out of bed as well.  The second time I had nearly made it to the toilet before my BP and pulse rate crashed.  I had two doctors, 2 physios and 4 nurses in the room bustling about and I just wanted to close my eyes and go to sleep and they're yelling at me "stay with us" like I was going to die or something LOL.  Everyone says to me "wasn't it scary?" but it wasn't, I just wanted to sleep but once they got me back into bed and put another drip in me I wasn't sleepy any more.

Apparently if you raise your legs above your heart it helps with the swelling. So laying flat with your legs up on a pillow helps.

I'm also in my mid 40s and have two young children 8 and 11 and they have been excellent fetchers and carriers and help me tie my shoes in the morning.

You will get there, you will also have down days but you will recover really quickly and wont believe the difference a week makes.  Just don't overdo it and look after you.  Us Mums aren't so good at putting ourselves first but it is ALL ABOUT YOU for the next few weeks.

Take care Sarah

Gaylene xx

• Posted

Gosh your experience sounded nasty

It's hard to envisage that things might not go as planned isn't it

Nice to hear you got through it all and all is now good. Time is the healer for sure (along with the Physio and Walking)

I have noticed the last two days that my bras are really tight to put on and pushing on my ribs. It has to be related to the operation. So bloody uncomfortable to wear. I was not made to not wear them either, might have to hunt out a bigger size for now

Lol...

• Posted

Wow Sara you really had a tuff time so far. With that behind you now things will get better each day.

It maybe hard to take it easy, but your body will let you know if you over do. Hugs to you sending Hart felt healing xxxxx

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

It seems that we have a lot in common! I had my right hip replaced last October (at 47). I had been been diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in both hips only 10 months prior to the first surgery. I await the second - which is yet unscheduled, but I'm hopefull for an October date. In Canada the waiting period can be quite long and (in my case anyways) I couldn't go onto the list for #2 until I was 6 weeks past #1 - and then you start right back at the bottom of the waiting list.

I too had really low blood pressure and anemia while recovering in the hosptial. Certainly makes it a struggle to stand up, do your exercises etc.. when you come close to passing out when standing! Fortunately I didn't faint in the bathroom though - that sounds awfull!

I actually opted to stop the hydromorphone that they had been giving me because it was contributing to the low blood pressure and I felt a bit more normal after that (of course that meant that the pain was only being managed by Tylenol...) It was touch and go as to whether they were going to realease me accoring to plan because of the anemia, but in the end the doc gave me the all clear to go home despite the anemia. I was happy to have not been given a transfusion, but it's good to know that in your experience the transfusion was a positive thing. I'm assuming that I might have a similar experience next time - so thank you for sharing your experience with that.

All the best with your recovery,

Jordan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.