Throbbing feeling

Posted , 5 users are following.

6 weeks post op from A&P and seem to suffer with a slight throbbing feeling, nothing major but it never seems to go, could this be the stitches! 

Ive had a couple of slight infections and had the anti biotics for this,but this is not the same pain as I had with that.

I have also started my pelvic floor exercises yesterday as was told by my consultant to wait 6 weeks before I started them, and to be honest I worry that I'm not doing them right, but armed with a leaflet off the hospital and a YouTube video have been trying my best. My post op is on Monday so I will hopefully feel better once I've had that and yesterday my own GP issued  me with another sick note for 8 weeks which was for a lot longer than I thought, but luckily work are very understanding re this op and hubby thinks the more time taken to recover the better.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm so pleased you have a sensible GP who knows the importance of taking time off and taking it slowly. Pelvic floor exercises are a minefield because it is so difficult to do them correctly without the help of a physiotherapist but obviously it's the pain that concerns you. At around 6 weeks the sutures are beginning to tighten as the surrounding tissues close around them. They are uncomfortable and the pain is probably caused by them. 
    • Posted

Hi matron u seem to be such a wealth of knowledge, I look forward to reading ur replies. I was wondering if u could do a post for us ladies with wot to expect and wot we should be doing week by week. As I'm sure I'm not the only lady that was given no post op advice at all. I'm now 3 week post op for posterior / anterior repair. I also had my ovaries removed and a laperoscopy, not a clue wot I should / shouldn't be doing or feeling. Regards jan.
    • Posted

Thank you jan for your kind words. I will put something together but before I do just to say as you're only 3 weeks post op you should still be mainly resting and just pottering around the house. If the weather was a bit warmer I'd say have a very short walk in the garden but that's it. Nothing more strenuous until the 4th week and then a short walk outside accompanied. You've had major surgery.
    • Posted

Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply very much appreciated, i have just been pottering and a little light housework, but it all leaves me so tired, i work from home, and today had a few clients to see but only involves sitting and advising so nothing too strenuous, i have rested for a few hours now before having to see a few more, it's difficult to know how much we should be doing, i feel very swollen/uncomfortable down below today which is worrying and feel a lot of pressure on my bladder, any advice much appreciated x

• Posted

The important thing is to listen to your body. When you're tired, rest and continue in that way for at least 6 weeks. Rest is the best medicine so please don't push yourself thinking you should be doing more. You'll have good and bad days but the bad ones are usually when you've done too much. I would expect you to feel uncomfortable because you're healing. You're sutures are tightening around your tissues that's probably why you feel pressure on your bladder as well. So tomorrow it's feet up, no pottering around and rest as much as possible.
    • Posted

Ur so right i feel so much better when I rest. It's reassuring to speak with u knowing u have a nursing background and know how to advise us. I can't Thankyou enough. X
    • Posted

Good morning matron I hope ur well. just asking ur advice . The pressure on my bladder is really bad, I have had to get up 6 times to pee during the night and I'm wondering if it could be a urine infection. I keep getting this and my gp gave me antibiotics on sat but I'm reluctant to take them as I already had to take metronidazole two weeks ago. Is this bladder pressure a normal part of healing do u think. Kind regards jan.
    • Posted

Hello jan. It does sound as though you have a urine infection and I really do think you should take the antibiotics. The Metronidazole you were taking will no longer be in your blood stream so there's no risk. If it is a urine infection and you let it go untreated you could become very unwell particularly so soon after major surgery. So drink lots of water and start the course of antibiotics.
    • Posted

Thankyou so much for ur advice I have taken the 1st one fingers crossed. X
    • Posted

You should start to feel some improvement in about 48 hours.
    • Posted

I do hope so and Thankyou again for ur advice. X
  • Posted

Kay, Your experiences are very similar to mine. I have throbbing after 8 weeks post op and my appt is in 3 weeks time. I am not suprised that they have signed you off for another 8 weeks, I agree with your husband. You need that time to get 100% better before your return. Do you have pain if you bend over to pick something up cos I do? I hope you don't mind me asking but how old are tou and what job do you have?
  • Posted

Hi matron, yes I am so very luck with my GP even if a total of 14 weeks off work has come as a shock to me, I really do not want to have to have this op again so I have tired very hard to stick to the rules of rest rest and no lifting what do ever, my darling husband is still fussing around me and cooking the tea every night plus doing all the housework so in that respect I am extremely lucky. I have slowly started to do a few things around the house myself today I have made burgers for him to cook and just done same amounts of laundry nothing heavy, but it does make you worry when things start to ache.
    • Posted

I was off work 13 weeks and returned to work on a graduated basis so it was 4 weeks after that before I was full time again. My husband had just retired so he did everything just like your husband is. Resting is essential to ensure this operation is successful.
  • Posted

Hi Jane, yes I have noticed if I bend down my lower abdomen aches a bit, so I try to remember not to pick things up, but that's easier said than done.

Im 55 and work 25 hours a week on a split job of reception and admin in an old factory, the reception side of the job is not too bad but the admin side would mean a lot of lifting and walking up and down stairs and filing so being off for another 8 weeks is probably for the best. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.