Time to walk

Posted , 14 users are following.

In march 2016 I dislocated my foot and broke my. Tibia and fibula I am now 10 weeks post op I walked awkwardly yesterday with no crutches but my foot swells up again I was on it a lot I got up today and it hurt needed a crutch to get about walked for a bit without it not much as it still swollen and red how much or long should I be walking before I rest it doctor says walk to get the blood flow and swelling down but after a bit of walking it swells and I can't do any exercises up down side to side while swollen is this normal process for screws and a plate any help appreciated

0 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It is normal for swelling after surgery with plates and/ or screws and can take up to 12 months to reduce. I'm 8 months on and still have swelling, but has got better recently. I would suggest you walk until uncomfortable, as everybody is different, but if unsure contact your gp.
    • Posted

Great news the swelling is getting bettter finally Paul! Great to hear!
    • Posted

Thanks Patti, you are a wealth of knowledge and so supportive to people on this forum. My swelling is slowly improving and my walking too, especially on slopes, ramps  and stairs. I hope everybody including yourself reading my post has a quick recovery. 
    • Posted

Thank you Paul! smile I know you have been so patient with your recovery and it looks like things are moving forward really nice for you lately. So happy to hear that!
    • Posted

My recovery is slow but have noticed some improvements recently. I'm hoping that I carry on with recovery as the last 8 months have been a testing time.
  • Posted

Hello

I presume your doc has given you recommendations

At ten weeks, I started RICE protocols. REST : ICE : COMPRESSION : ELEVATION

It takes time to recover

I found that a compression bandage tube from foot up to knee and back again when I stood in the kitchen, really helped the swelling

I also have Epsom salts foot baths every morning starting with hot water for 10/15 minutes and then cold water for 10. I then massage my foot and calf and do scar tissue massage with bio-oil and then my exercises and the elevate with ice packs.

Do you find everything takes ages

Good luck with your recovery

• Posted

Patientholland- I do that too and do a set of foot exercises in the bath each morning. Have you tried to do your stretches there? Feels really nice! I ice right after vs. the cold bath. I know some people haven't had luck with the Epsom salt baths...but I love them too! They seem to suck half of the swelling out of the foot temporarily....kind of crazy, huh? I also love the Arnica & MSM Natural Anti-Inflammatory & Pain Relief Cream from Amazon. Can't live without it now!
    • Posted

Thank you Patti I will try the epsom salts soak I've had 2 tubs of arnica

Over time but I feel it's pulling my foot I know it should do that but I think most of bruising gone now I couldn't take antiinflammatories so that was my big problem

Thank you for your help x good luck with your recovery xdawn

• Posted

The doctor just told me to walk on it didn't say for how long he told me to get more movement into my foot but when it's swollen I can't do much I'm going to ask my g p to send me to physiotherapist to help hope you recover soon x dawn

• Posted

Hi Patti. What is MSM ANTI- iNFLAMMATORY !!! I have to be sooooo frugal with anti inflammatory and limit to twice a week
    • Posted

Hang in there.. I know it is different for each individual but I noticed a big difference at about 12 weeks. I also started walking with less aide about then. I am only 14 weeks now and it just gets better every day. A huge improvement from where we all started.
    • Posted

If you just look up the name " Arnica & MSM Natural Anti-Inflammatory & Pain Relief Cream " on Amazon, you will find it. It's just a cream, not a pill you take, so you should be fine I think. 
    • Posted

Many thanks Patti. It's what I need. In fact, I was so dissatisfied with my consultant dismissing my concerns about inflammation for the last 6 weeks that I finally sought a second opinion. Had CT SCAN and Ultra Sound and I have Synovitis. Am having steroid injections to calm the whole area down. Feel I have wasted nearly two months in terms of potential recovery time because of the stubbornness of my surgeon. Thanks again
    • Posted

Thank you doctor didn't give me any info just 1 exercise I'm 10 weeks post op today walking on n off with n without a stick still need wheelchair when shopping as I can't walk far yet I've been to get some epsom salts to start doing a foot soak for the swelling.youre comments about rice

We're very helpful I will be doing that I was thinking I was behind with still having swelling the surgeon is taking my screws out in 11 weeks seems like a eternity as they dig in so bad counting every day xx dawn

• Posted

Thank you doctor didn't give me any info just 1 exercise I'm 10 weeks post op today walking on n off with n without a stick still need wheelchair when shopping as I can't walk far yet I've been to get some epsom salts to start doing a foot soak for the swelling.youre comments about rice

We're very helpful I will be doing that I was thinking I was behind with still having swelling the surgeon is taking my screws out in 11 weeks seems like a eternity as they dig in so bad counting every day xx dawn

• Posted

Have you been referred to a physiotherapist who would be best placed to give you a specific individual and exercise programme tailored for your needs.   Keep your foot elevated as much as you can.  I used a compression tube doubled upfrom my toes up to my knee and back down to my toes was excellent to suppress the swelling when you are standing for long periods.  
    • Posted

Oh boy! At least you stuck with it and made sure you got it figured out. So sorry you had to go through all that!!
    • Posted

Hello Patti. I have bought the 1000mg MSM TABLETS. Should I have bought the cream !
    • Posted

It is a cream almost like a bengay with arnica in it. It's not pills. I'll text you the words for the search again when I find my container of cream. I can't send the link because it won't make it to you.
    • Posted

I am going to try a compression tube. I'm really curious about that. I have been putting on cream to massage my foot several times a day still and then wrapping it with an ace bandage, but the compression socks or tube would probably be even better. 
    • Posted

I have also been massaging my foot and calf daily with the tiniest bit of bio oil.  I also then do a scar tissue massage all over the scar and the surrounding areas and also all up my calf to my knee.   This type of massage cannot be oily as I need to get deep in order to pull the bands of fibers below the surface.  I am hoping this will help long-term and prevent the destructive effects of adhesions

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.