Time to walk

Posted , 14 users are following.

In march 2016 I dislocated my foot and broke my. Tibia and fibula I am now 10 weeks post op I walked awkwardly yesterday with no crutches but my foot swells up again I was on it a lot I got up today and it hurt needed a crutch to get about walked for a bit without it not much as it still swollen and red how much or long should I be walking before I rest it doctor says walk to get the blood flow and swelling down but after a bit of walking it swells and I can't do any exercises up down side to side while swollen is this normal process for screws and a plate any help appreciated

0 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Kenneth- It is normal. It takes time. Be sure to get an evenup (black strap that goes over your tennis shoe) so you don't mess up your hip walking. It brings your tennis shoe to your boot height. Be sure to ice plenty, that will help with the swelling. 
  • Posted

It is definitly normal. Physio and massage will help as will a pressure bandage to help keep the swelling down. Dont do too much. It is hard to sit around if you are an active person, but that rest and elevation is hugely important to.  Do gentle stretching exercises while you are sitting, your physio should be able to help with these. Be patient, hard but necessary. I am 14 weeks now, into week six of weight bearing and am walking better every day, but, if I do too much I still get the swelling and need to rest. I expect it will take some time to come right.
    • Posted

Thank you for your comments I will try a flight sock also the epsom salts soak

I've had no physiotherapist recommend so I will ask the doctor to send me for some

Just so I know I'm in the right direction hope you're getting there now all the best dawn

• Posted

Thank you doctor didn't give me any info just 1 exercise I'm 10 weeks post op today walking on n off with n without a stick still need wheelchair when shopping as I can't walk far yet I've been to get some epsom salts to start doing a foot soak for the swelling.youre comments about rice

We're very helpful I will be doing that I was thinking I was behind with still having swelling the surgeon is taking my screws out in 11 weeks seems like a eternity as they dig in so bad counting every day xx dawn

• Posted

Let us all know when you have the screws removed. I've read different opinions when screws are removed, but I was considering having mine taken out, the only off putting is the length of time for recovery as I couldn't deal with another 3 months off work, but screws felt weird when I went swimming recently
    • Posted

I was told I would have 75% strength in the bone after 2 screws are removed that's in 11 weeks but to be honest the pain is awful feels like bones rubbing together not sure if he playing for time with the 11 weeks as it will be well healed then he gave me the confidence that I will be OK when they're out I feel them as I have delicate ankles xdawn
    • Posted

My surgeon wont remove my pins and plates until 9 months and if they are not showing through or bothering me, he would prefer to leave them in.  I will wait and see.   One pin was bothering me at 10 weeks but now, at 18 weeks, because the swelling is reduced, it no longer hurts
    • Posted

So sorry to hear how much pain you are suffering.  I have experienced awful pain too when I walk.   I also had the feeling my bones were rubbing together.  

I had a CT Scan today and an Ultra Sound and have been diagnoses with Synovitis - an inflammatory condition of the joint.   Exactly what I have been saying for 6 weeks to my surgeon that there is something wrong with the synovial joint around each bone. Scan shows it is hugely inflamed and that's why it immediately hurts and swells on walking.  Awful to think how much I could have progressed had my original - (now ex) surgeon - listened to me instead of  being so patronisingly dismissive and continually telling me to do more exercise to strengthen my calf and take painkillers each time I saw him.  I feel vindicated.  In hospital Tuesday for sedation and guided steroid injections   

• Posted

Thanks. I'm still uncertain as to what to do, as I'm walking better now after such a long time. I have a strange sensation in my foot, but couldn't deal with the length of time for recovery, financial aspect or the strain that I would put my wife under taking care of me again
    • Posted

The swelling has been present from day one and still present 24/7, but has reduce slightly hence walking better especially noticable on ramps, slopes and stairs where I really struggled. I'm on my feet at work 12 hours a day, back since mid January , so naturally I expected some swelling, but never thought after 8 months still swollen. I have been told that it could take up to 12 months before showing any signs of reduced swelling. 
    • Posted

Yes it seems that swelling is a big issue up to a year as the body regains its natural pumping system To stop the swelling, particularly when standing, I would use a compression tube bandage doubled up from my toes, up to my knee and back down to my toes again. When not needing to stand for long periods, I wouldn't wear the tube. It seems that no one walks, the more the possibility of re-activating the bodies natural pumping system. I'm just 18 weeks and still need to elevate and ice my foot regularly. From reading everybody's posts, it's a long hard road and certainly teaches PATIENCE !!! Good luck with your recovery.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply I hope all goes well on Tuesday I've seen my local doctor and asked

Asked him to send me physiotherapy he said you're screws are out in 11 weeks I said I'm not walking right yet and that's a long way off if I'm not doing the right exercises he's now referring me so hopefully that will help I've also got the epsom salts to soak my foot thank you for you're help x dawn

• Posted

My ate on the left side seems ok I can't cross my legs and it aches sometime but will leave them in if they don't bother me the doctor has said because of my 3 breaks I will probably have arthritis in it in time to come I was shocked as I didn't give that any thoughts I thought get it right I will be ok so am in shock x dawn
    • Posted

Yes.  We are in this for the long haul.  I have had unremitting pain for the last 18 weeks.  So, my understanding is - if and when we make recovery from the surgery, we have arthitis to look forward to
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply to my post. I have just returned home from 13 hours at work and currently sat here wth a compression bandage on after soaking my feet in a bowl of water. The swelling has been the worst part of the recovery process for me. I have good days and bad days but try to remain positive. It is a long hard road with lots of obstacles to overcome but we all get there eventually. I wish you well in your recovery
    • Posted

13 hours is so long to be on your feet Paul. Sorry you have to do that!
    • Posted

Thanks for your concern Patti. I know it's long hours, I work for a very selfish car hire company that have no regard for lunches, rest or otherwise. All they consider is the customer and the managers own commissions. 
    • Posted

I think a lot of massage to break up the scar tissue, as well as PT to increase our ROM, can help with our future prospects of arthritis. I know that is the looming bigger longterm worry about this injury.
    • Posted

Good to know sometimes it changes re. the pins/screws bothering you. Ihave 13 screws, so I hope none of them will be a problem later. Right now all seems okay at 14-1/2 weeks. 
    • Posted

I have the same plates and pins as you. One on inside ankle bothered me and doc said he would tenor at nine months but everywhere has now settled and I am hoping it will stay that way. My doc prefers to leave them in as you are then left with screw holes that needs to heal !!!!
    • Posted

I think that's why he said he'd remove them in 10 weeks hoping they settle but I have delicate ankles and it hurts most of the time unless I leave ice on for hours x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.