Time to walk

Posted , 14 users are following.

In march 2016 I dislocated my foot and broke my. Tibia and fibula I am now 10 weeks post op I walked awkwardly yesterday with no crutches but my foot swells up again I was on it a lot I got up today and it hurt needed a crutch to get about walked for a bit without it not much as it still swollen and red how much or long should I be walking before I rest it doctor says walk to get the blood flow and swelling down but after a bit of walking it swells and I can't do any exercises up down side to side while swollen is this normal process for screws and a plate any help appreciated

0 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It's been 10 weeks since my surgery I'm walking without a cane but I have major swelling in my foot is redjust complain to my doctor and he wrote me a script for physical therapy I use Epson salt baths I use ice I use Arnica it still hurts just a long road hang in there
    • Posted

Hello Lisa

I used a compression bandage tube from my toes and up to my knee and back down to Many thanks for your note toes

Really helped with manage the swelling when I knew I was going to stand for a while

At ten weeks, you will still need to elevate a lot

Good luck

• Posted

Hi, Kenneth.  I am about 5 months now since surgery.  My ankle still swells a lot.  I was told this is not totally abnormal and can take 9-12 months to get better.   I gave found 2 things have helped.  1. I went to a good shoe store and was measured to get a pair of shoes that I can wear comfortably.  I gave found this gives better support and helps with the walking.  2.  I have been massaging my foot each night to get the swelling down and get the blood flowing.  My therapist does this as well after each session.  

I ice it sometimes, but at this point it does not help as much as it used  to.  

I mostly all without my cane now in the house, but do use it when I am going to do more walking.  It helps me have a better gait.  So for now, I just keep walking hoping my ankle will strengthen and that will help with the swelling.  

I hope this helps 

• Posted

Kenneth,

Your doctor has not done a sufficient job of setting expectation with you regarding timeframes, rehab, physical therapy, progressive ankle/foot usage, and swelling.  He seems to have just set you free without explaining anything.  As you have probably realized from all the responses, ankle and foot surgeries require a long time to heal.  I recommend you prepare a list of questions for your doctor and then insist he answer them at your next visit. The people on this forum offer a font of information given our experiences. You have come to right place. I am 7 months post-op.  I found this forum when I was at 4 months.  The info and encouragement I received from the people here made a real difference.  I had issues with swelling until I was 5 1/2 months post-op.  You'll learn that you need to be patient with your recovery..  Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Totally agree. My surgeon was full of platitudes like 'oh, you'll be running at 4 months' and after he removed the stitches at 7 weeks when I had not yet put my foot on the ground let alone love or flex it in any way and when it was so, so swollen, he said 'take that holiday abroad you already booked with your friends next week that you are thinking of cancelling' 'you should be doing more Physio'

Always overly ambitious expectations that continually left me worrying I was not meeting them and, therefore, there must be something wrong

I am now a 18 weeks and have started to trust my own instincts and devise my own programs of recovery plus also sought a second opinion and have been Diagnosed with Synovitis for which I have a Guided Steroid procedure under anaesthetic this week

I don't think suegeons are interested in the aftercare !!

• Posted

I am curious. I am still doing a lot of PT and need two Motrin a day because my foot starts pounding without it, and with it all pain goes pretty much away. At what point, with PT, did you all find you did not need any meds to get through the day. Also, at what point did you not need to elevate your foot at night while sleeping?
    • Posted

I agree with you Patientholland about surgeons. Listening to your body is the best guide.
  • Posted

There is no need to push it, your body has suffered trauma, so be patien!

Swelling after surgery is normal, and in time, this to will slowly lessen.

Walking with your crutches is a good way to do therapy, you can decide 

the amount of weight that you are comfortable with!  It is very important to not allow your ankle to try and draw itself to its desired destination, focus on placing your foot on the floor and making it point in the same direction as  your other foot!  The whole process that your now in takes time, rushing it only causes frustration, so take it easy, and be kind to your foot!  😊

• Posted

Thanks mike I've been walking around without crutches not far just kitchen bathroom etc it's 10 weeks post op now keep foot down til swells then put it up a while going physio soon that will help x dawn
    • Posted

That's still very little time for the injury that you've suffered.  Have you heard of a tens unit?  I might be jumping ahead of where you are in your recovery!  You said that you would be going to see a physio.  What does that mean? Anyway, a tens unit is a small portable unit that helps some with pain that their dealing with; it did and still helps me with pain.

if you don't know why it is, there kinda of cheap on Amazon, if you have time take a look

!

• Posted

Yes heard of a tens unit I'm controling it with paracetamol the worst bit is the screws I feel they stop me walking properly I have 2 in the right sideof ankle the plate on my left seems ok just aches now n then the surgeon taking screws out 10 weeks this Wednesday not that I'm counting lol I've asked my doctor to refer my for physiotherapy as the surgeon at the hospital didn't refer me I think they just want people to get on with it I listen to my body and rest when tired and put it up when it swells thank you for replying to me x dawn
    • Posted

I just got one of the tens units on Amazon. I'm just beginning to use it. I'm not sure if I got a very good unit, as some of the contacts don't seem to be firing, but the few that are, seem to be working well. I've only used it once so far though. The unit I got didn't come with instructions, but it seems somewhat straight forward to use it. 
    • Posted

I bet you are going to find great improvement in the month ahead. It will be wonderful!
    • Posted

Hey Patti, I hope that the tens unit is helping you.  If you're having problems with the one you have, and you just purchased it, you might want to return it for a different one.  The tens unit may be the one device that will give you help with pain in both the short term and long term; it definitely has helped me for years now.   
    • Posted

I probably shouldn't have suggested the tens unit to you this early, it might be something that you will want to discuss with your p.t.  Anyway, injuries like you suffered take time to heal, be patient, and don't cause yourself more pain! 
    • Posted

Thank you Mike. I'm so glad to hear that- thank you very much for the information that it is working so well for you. I would like to get off taking two Motrins a day, as I do not like to take any meds. In fact, I am switching to Tylenols, if the tens doesn't take away all the pain from PT and walking, because I just read Tylenols are better than Motrins for fracture healing. It said there may be delayed bone healing with NSAIDs, and so Tylenols may be better to use. Let me know if you think this is not correct. Thank you!
    • Posted

Mike- Do you feel the sizzle in all the leads when you have them plugged in with your tens machine?
    • Posted

Mike- I got it working. User error I think...since I didn't have any instructions. Feels really good. I'll let you know if it helps with the pain. So glad to get it working! Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.