Tingling and muscle twitching

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm a 36 yo Male who has been suffering for months now. 7 months ago I ended up the ER with case of diverticulitis. Was prescribed both levaquin an ciprofloxacin and sent home. After taking the medication for 10 days I wasn't getting any better. I ended up back in the hospital. Ct scan revealed I had a perforated bowel and had an emergency bowel resection where they removed 10 inches of my colon. After surgery I was once again put on levaquin and ciprofloxacin to prevent infection. Spent 5 days in hospital and was sent home.

3 days after being home things went south. Even though I was healing well from the surgery I started experiencing wierd symptoms. I began having tingling in my hands and feet. It eventually progress to arms and legs.

The tingling went on for bout 2 months. But then I began experiencing muscle twitching all over my body which put me into a panic.

Curious if anyone else has experienced this after taking levaquin or ciprofloxacin

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

my husband had this which he described as electric shock that would come from no where.

you need to start replenishing certain minerals that have been depleted from taking these drugs . Liquid firm of magnesium as this had been chelated from your body . liquid form is the best. Vit B12 as this vitamin plays a very important role in nerve health. Testosterone levels for my husband went to zero and if you check put symptoms of low testosterone some side affects can be attributed to that . DO NOT TAKE IBUPROFEN . DO NIT HAVE ANY STEROID INJECTIONS .

basically you need to feed your body with good vits and minerals . Mist of all you need to get a good quality collagen supplinent again in liquid firm to help repair connective tissue that will be depleted from fluroquinolone . All the best and stay calm

• Posted

Chad, sounds like you took a LOT of Cipro and Levaquin. Tingling and muscle twitching are both symptoms of peripheral neuropathy - result of Fluoroquinolone Toxicity. I hope your symptoms pass in time, and sincerely hope no others appear later. My advice would be NEVER take another FQ antibiotic. I am so sorry you had to go through this. I took Levoflxacin (Levaquin) , one tablet for five days, at the end of November 2019. I am still getting tingling and rwitching, which I'm sorry to say is the least of it. Good luck.

• Posted

Had something similar after a course of cipro. it resolved after about 4 months although i am a lot more prone to pulling muscles now (that could just be age). One thing. At around that time, i discovered i had vitamin d deficiency (had a blood test). This leads to low calcium levels, which can cause symptoms like this. Taking steps to correct it "may" have been what solved this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.