Tips to relieve itching with PV

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed 2 years ago with PV I am Jak 2 positive. After about 6 venesections my Hematologist prescribed 500mg Hydroxy a day, {because of my age I think as I am 75 now} which has been working ok with just the odd fluctuation in my readings. But the itching after a shower is awful and sometimes I have trouble sleeping because of it. Has anyone got any tips?

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello John,

I was diagnosed in January 2016 when I was 65. JAK2 positive.

The doctors tried to put me onto Hydroxicarbamide but I refused it in favour of daily aspirin and periodic venesections which seem to have settled down to about once every three months.

I do occasionally get the aquagenic pruritis. I find it happens mostly in the mornings after a shower. So I try to avoid showers. I take a bath in the morning now. For some reason the bath tends to be less likely to start the itching.

In addition, I read that adding a couple of teaspoons of baking soda to the bath water helps too. And it does.

Hope that helps. 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.