TMJ Pain.....Headache and Neck Tension?

Posted , 15 users are following.

So...on top of everything else, it would appear as though I'm having issues with my TMJ...I believe I'm a jaw clencher when I'm anxious (which is pretty much always), and I'm also a sloucher at my desk, and this has caused the muscles in my neck to become VERY tense....could this tension be causing my headaches as well? And what about the persistent off-balance feeling that I seem to have whenever the tension strikes? My head just feels so heavy...as though my poor neck can barely support it. I had a massage last night and the therapist was astonished at how tight my muscles were, especially on the sides of my neck, behind my ears, and in my shoulders....all related? Does anyone else experience this? The pain is pretty intense and over-the-counter pain relievers (like Advil) don't do a thing for it....suggestions?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kitty, yes this is me! TMJ causing headaches and facial pain. I've had so many tests and have been told that it is caused by anxiety ( presumably due to menopause) I have a very tight neck/ jaw muscles and get loads of headaches. It also makes me feel off balance, I think becaus the tight muscles around your TMJ pass so close to your inner ear. Sometimes my head is so tight and really heavy just like yours. I find that ibuprofen doesn't touch it. Paracetamol is better but still not great. I have to take a small dose of amitriptyline from my Dr and add in some paracetamol if it gets really bad. I have been told that exercise will help- so I'm trying brisk walking every day to start. I also have started meditation to try and control any pain and anxiety using a book and cd which I have put into my iPod. A warm wheat bag is comforting and helps the pain. I try to keep busy as best I can as I find sitting makes it worse. I see a physio regularly who loosens things up, does a bit of acupuncture and helps me with exercises for posture . I'm hoping that eventually as my hormones settle things will improve. I am now 20 wks with out a period( I will be 50 on Sunday😱😱). Also, I have found that what I eat has an effect on my symptoms so I'm really trying to cut out sugar and I'm looking at wheat as that seems to have an adverse effect. Hope some of this helps you. Sorry I don't have the miracle cure, still looking for it! Xxxxx
    • Posted

Hi Mooma28

Was just wondering what medication you are starting for the anxiety ? Also everyday I struggle to get out of bed sad I have no energy at all ! The whole thing is really getting ME down !! xx 

• Posted

I don't have anything for the anxiety. The amitriptyline is supposed to relax the muscles around the nerves to help the pain but I guess it also helps the anxiety a bit. I don't take enough to get the antidepressant effect, it just takes the edge off my symptoms. Debbie , yes mornings doseem to be worse. I struggle to get out of bed but usually feel better once I'm up and about. No fun is it? Xxx
  • Posted

Terrible headache, jaw ache today😢. 21 wks now with no period. Had a better week last week and now wham! It's all back with a vengeance. No day is great but at least manageable last week. Don't know what to do with myself.
    • Posted

Hi Mooma 

sorry to hear that 😥

i always got a headache in peri before a period was coming .

my last three periods i had a rotter of a headache and felt awful and very sickly for a few days too .. It was the way i knew a period was on its way.

jay xx

• Posted

Hi Mooma.

Sorry to hear that you are having a rough time, its a bummer that we have reasonably good days or even a good week then bam its all back,  I am coming up to 16 weeks without a period (once again) symptoms arent as bad as last time I went for 7 months without one but I am experiencing different symptoms as well as the golden oldies this time round.  I am trying to be braver this time and not give in to any anxiety.  I have been getting headaches and jaw ache on and off since my period stopped, thankfully unlike Jay I didnt get a period. Hang in there and hopefully in a few days you will start to feel better.  Take care xx

• Posted

Thanks Jay, yes I did used to get a headache before a period but have no sign that one is going to arrive. I seem to get headaches now at the time it would have been due but nothing happens. Kind of hoping it doesn't arrive.😳there has to be an upside to all of this! Haha
    • Posted

Thanks Jo. I'm sure you are right. I'm 22 wks with no period and this seems to have become worse since the periods stopped. Still got the pain today but both jaws now😞. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Mooma

i too found the time when periods stopped or declined to just 3 or two per year the hardest..

especially when they stopped ( but this you dont know until a year no periods whether your post menopause or not) 😳

the first six months of no periods ( no more to follow either) 

i still seemed to get like a PMT every six weeks, but so much more emotional and anxious and tears from no where ..

( thats when i started my 150mg B6 daily and things improved) 

also all the body feels tense, tight and achy 😫 more so than ever ..

have a good day hun

jay xx

• Posted

Thanks Jay, I've run out of the b6 so I think I'll try the Holland and Barrett time release ones with all the b's in and see if the extra vit b12 helps at all. It really is beyond a joke now. I need to be able to function on a daily basis. I havnt had the magnesium for a few weeks either so perhaps I'd better add that back in. My multi really has such low amounts. Thanks . Xxxx
    • Posted

Hi mooma

well get the Mega B 100 Complex ( time release ) these have 100mg of B6 and all thr other good B's 

also Busy B they also have 100mg B6 in the complex 

both at holland and barret ..

it must be 100mg of B6 ..

jay x

• Posted

Hi Weary

I just wanted to discuss my symptoms with someone who seems to be suffering from this TMJ business.

I have suffered from jaw pain for almost 3 years, it started when i was laying down chewing gum(NEVER AGAIN) I heard a click and then i coudltn open my mouth to the width i usually can(3 fingers width) i felt liek t was locked.Anyways i saw dentists bco i thought it was my wisdom tooth they gave me a mouth guard it didnt help,ive had an xray that came back normal, i went to the dental hospital ,i was just sat in a chair and told i have tmj disorder and heres a leaflet read about it,NHS rubbish! but now im paranoid, Im also a huge anxiety worrier and this is aking me worse, not knowing... do i have arthritus? is it something else in my body but my jaw is telling me so...ive also tried accupuncture which didnt help...sad 

ive used a warm face towel,magnesium muscle spray,clove oil nothing helps...usually my jaw clicks and feels likes it moved out of place when i wake up first thing in morn btu then it kinda goes away but  i still have pain but liveable...but for the past 5-7 days my other side has click and stayed like that it hasnt improved...when i yawn it kills it feels like its ripping and i cant brush my teeth properly as i cant open my mouth wider than a fingers width,...are you the same?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.