Toral knee replacement

Posted , 14 users are following.

I tried going Christmas shopping and made it too 2 stores and the pain set in I had to go out and sit in my car. Will this get better and when. I go see my doctor on the 20th for my 4 month check up. I wish I never had this surgery.

2 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You arent the 1st one to sing this woeful lament.

My guess....you tried to run before you could walk and you are paying the price. Christmas may be a trimmed down version tho dc year.

Get back on pain meds including an anti inflammatotory on a regular basis. Hydrate like you have never hydrated before. Plenty of plain old water. A stringy, dry soft tissue is not going to be pain free like a hydrated one. Rest...........and that means sit down with a book or TV program and relax. Ice like you've never over befor. Its your best friend. When you have a chance to tAke a nap.......do it. Forget the Christmas shopping. Your wealth exceeding is so much more important. Again, only a guess......you have tied your recovery to someone else's expectations. This sirgery is the most brutal physical / mental exercise you will go through and everyone is different in every aspect. Dr's use that goofy 6 week timetable and people get very disappointed and depressed when it doesn't happen. You may have been bored more than once with my story but I've had 11 surgeries and 5 Complete rehabs as well as 30 rounds of radiation......every single time has been different. I've had staph infections, had to have my pros 26th esis taken out for a4 month stretch and enough antibiotic infusions to flat a battleship. I'm primary caregiver to a spouse with advance Parkinson's and she fell and broke a chip in August resulting in a partial hip p replacement.

It just isn't easy but if you think it through......quit taking short cuts and let , dont try and make the healing happen it will. If depression or pain are issues...talk to your primary care dr, they are better at coming up with solutions than are surgeons.

Take a deep breath, start all over again, do it the right way and you'll be fine. Stay with this group.....lots of great advice and encouragement plus an occasional kick in the pants when needed.

• Posted

Just what I needed to hear again.  It's so hard to stay positive when everything seems to be against you.  I'm learning from the same mistakes over and over and over.  Feel like a slug when I stay in bed, get bored, go out, have pain, come home, ice, get back in bed...

thanks for reminding me bc there's no cheerleaders when you're doing this virtually alone 

• Posted

I know - its awful going through it on your own, nobody understands the upset and pain we have to go through. 

My family were under th impression that i would be better in six weeks.

Its caused an awful lot of stress because they think Im putting it on.

• Posted

Have your family read Chico comments it a long slog to recover.

Good healing

• Posted

I've said it many times.......friends and family can be your biggest allies BUT.....they can also be The biggest pains in the a** going. It comes to a point you have to lay it on the line that all the imaginary quick healing stories are generally just that. They need to understand the gravity of the surgery I explain it this way....

You've had you leg cut into, muscles, nerves, ligaments & tendonds severed. Bones chiseled into and holes drilled. A 4 lb hunk of foreign material cemented and glued in place, then everything sewed back together. The next day you are dragged out of bed and told to use that swollen, useless mass. Sometimes it's helpful to be a little graphic with your description.

• Posted

we are all right here for you...just think, you do not have live today ever again....
    • Posted

I know I thought I would be back to work in 8 weeks. What was I thinking of? Lol. My boys would come in and say to me things like . Get up go take the dogs for a walk. What's for dinner. Stop faking. They were joking but boy it sure made me mad. I has walking 5 miles a day went to work and then go ride my horse. Now if I get out to the mail box it might be a good day.

• Posted

That is the big question with no straight forward answer. Everyone is different and so is the recovery. I'm not being critical but Dr's are so determined to give patients that window of 6 weeks when they know its just guess......not even an educated guess. The hopes and expectations are there but reality is off in another world. Just take a step back. Quit abusing yourself and go steady but slowly till you find your own pace. Just review the basics of meds on schedule and if they aren't cutting the pain, talk to your primary care Dr for relief.......not your surgeon. Once you get that done, start slowly with exercises........tightening the quads and leg lifts. Do slight but progressive bending but ice faithfully as often as you have swelling and pain. Keep in mind you are human and you have feelings. Just because you are in pain doesnt mean you are weak, it means you have feelings. Long gongvare the days of no pain.....no gain. This isn't the marines and you aren't preparing for combat. You are trying to get well. The 1st time I went through this in '04 my therapist told me....." I'll be responsible for 15% but you are responsible for 85. Back then the methods were oh, so brutal and wrong. When I had my revision in '13 I came back to the same therapist but I might as well been on a different planet with the protocol. I asked him what was going on with the change and his comment.......we've gotten a lot smarter in 10 years. Keep moving just don't ever let anyone or even you put yourself in pain. Aching and hurting, yes but real pain no.

Get the best icing methods possible. I have found the largest blue gel pace the best for me. Use them long and often. Drink water like it is the finest wine and sip it all day long. Ice and hydration......hydration and ice. Try to relax and rest. Right now there is no such thing as being ashamed of sitting around with your feet up an pampering yourself. This is active rehabilitation. Stay with us and you'll find the happy medium somewhere in all of these answers

Not even an educated

• Posted

recovery isn't boot camp

hahaha hehehe

Laughter is the best meducine by Oldfatguy1

thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.