Trying to come off mirtazapine- terrible WDs

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've been on 15mg mirtazapine for around a year now. Was put on them as I was having difficulty sleeping. They worked at first but now even while taking them I'm anxious and my sleep isn't all that great. Usual SEs where I'm lethargic, put on weight etc.

I'm wanting to come off them now which my GP is supporting. In the last three weeks I went down to 7.5mg then this week down to 3.75mg but WDs have just hit me.

Increased anxiety, insomnia (3-4 hours broken sleep per night with excessive dreaming) the worst abdominal pain/cramps I've ever had. Just generally feeling horrible!

Is this normal? My GP has said that I am sensitive to any meds anyway. I have another appt with her in 10 days but just wondering what to do in meantime?

Should I go back to 15mg and taper much slower? Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Thank you

Paul

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Friend

Definitely you have gone to fast in your taper. There are people who go fast and have no effects but there are people who are sensitive and a fast approach to taper of Mirt lets their nervous system sensitized. Normally after every drop your CNS tries to go back to restoring its homeostasis and the anxiety, depression as well as insomina are a result of just that. When you go very fast into weaning off then the CNS crashes and needs a very long time to recuperate to its premedicine levels. 

Normally you have taken a small dose for a relatively moderate period of time and from what you are saying it seems this dose is about to pop out. What you can do is go up to the previous dose you were stable and then try to taper slowly at a 10% rate every 3-4 weeks. IN this case the WD-s will not be much tough.

In order to do that you can order liquid Mirt or in case you can not have that you can mix the tablet with water into a 1 to 1 proportion. to be more clear you can disolve a tablet of 15 Mg Mirt into 15 Ml of water and take the necessary amount with a syringe. If you do that 4 Ml will be equal 4 Mg of Mirt. After stabilizing  you can start tapering in a very slow pace. It seems you are sensitive to these meds. I am doing the same currently have gone from 15Mg to 9Mg since the begining of July. I think in this way you will not have major WD.

ANYWAY I AM NOT A DOCTOR... SO I AM JUST ADVICING HOW I AM HANDLING IT MYSELF. You can discuss this plan with your doctor and if he/she agrees you can go for it.

GOOD LUCK

• Posted

hi,i would agree with toni47195.I am also very sensitive to Mirt and am tapering since May.I tried 10% and 7% and found them too large a cut for me -occassional anx but generally feeling blooody awful with aches all over,lower back ache and nausea.I have just cut again using 4% 4 days ago and is too early to tell .I am now on 11.4mg from 15mg.
    • Posted

Plainden wish you luck with your taper buddy.

How long have you been taking Mirt? What has been your max dosage? And how long have you been tapering...??

I see we re going to be into a race you and me... :-) who is going to finish faster...

Good luck and be around.

Remember those days of depression will go away. They are just WD...

• Posted

Hi,i have been on it for 19 months.15mg is my max dosage.I havew been tapering since may this year.5 months and i have only reduced by 1/4 -its hard work for me being so sensitive.But everyone is so very different.
  • Posted

Thanks guys, wish you all the best with coming off this stuff!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.