Turp coming up in Jan. how much body hair is shaved?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Pre op appointment is Jan. 4th. have lots of questions.

1 like, 67 replies

67 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Barry. I would suspect that no hair will need to be shaved, unless you happen to be blessed with a Yeti like body!

I recently underwent a HoLEP procedure (a laser TURP for want of a better description) and no shaving or triming of hair took place.

Incidentally, are you opting for a general or spinal anaesthetic?  I've had 3 urological procedures carried out in the last two years and all done using a spinal anaesthetic and I would recommend it to anyone having such procedures. 

Just be aware that some anaesthetists will endeavour to talk you out of a spinal for reasons that don't really hold water and I suspect that they have a personal preference for general anaesthetics.

If you do opt for a spinal you will not regret it and the only discomfort comes from the needle scratch when the local anaesthetic is given prior to the spinal anaesthetic needle which you won't feel at all. 

Good luck.

• Posted

Had a TURP a few years ago and all pubic/genital hair was removed.

No big deal....it grows again rapidly and removal reduces the risk of infection....can't be bad!

• Posted

thanks, that is what I thought would happen.  did you have a spinal, or put to sleep?

• Posted

I had a general anaesthetic. Only took 4 days with catheter in for urine to be clear and once that was removed I was home. 

• Posted

Most of the time there is no hair removed.  I hope you are aware of all the side effects and your doctor told you everything  Good luck.  That's not for me  Ken
  • Posted

Barry, I do not know; but I guess I will find out soon because I will probably have that procedure where they hollow out the prostate using a laser. The prostate in my case is pushing against my bladder and the bladder retains urine; it does not come out and empty; there is residual.
    • Posted

same here, taking meds, that help some but still not empting the bladder.

• Posted

I've had two laser proceures at different UK hospitals and they did not shave.

Why did you choose TURP as opposed to other methods?

• Posted

Choose the turp, due to the success my dad has had with it, his has been good for over 20 yrs.
    • Posted

Barry.  I hope that is not the only reason.  Everyman is diffrent and we all heal in our own way.  Good luck I will say a prayer for you.....Ken
    • Posted

Many new treatments since then that you should consider.
    • Posted

thank you for the suggestion.  I'll see in Jan.  what the doc says.
    • Posted

Barry,

Remember that a PAE is done by an interventional radiologist, not a urologist. A urologist will NEVER recommend a PAE because they make no money on it.

Neal

• Posted

Hey Derek.  I hope he looks into other things.  All men heal in there own way. Just because his father had it 20 years ago and it went well is not a reason to have it now.  I'm happy it did but 20 years ago I think that is what they offered. There are so many new procedures that are less evasive.  I hope he is not talked into it by his doctor.  Take care  Ken   
    • Posted

I turned down the TURP I was offered in 1995 and waited for something better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.