Two weeks to go packing my bag and

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello fellow hippies

two weeks today ( as long as nothing goes wrong ) I will be in the same ward I was in 8 months ago having my right hip replaced. 

I have been been busy the last few days packing my bag and wrapping presents. I have worked out that if I am in for the same. Ammount of time as last time I won't get home till 2 days before Christmas. Eve so I still have a lot to sort out before I go in. Shopping almost done but wrote a list for other 1/2 to get stuff in that won't keep. still waiting on some parcels but presents I have to send out are done.The tree is up and so are the decorations. I am getting worried in case I get cancelled again. But I have been promised that if I do I will be in the first week they go back after Christmas. 

I hope ops all of you getting the bad weather are safe it is really bad here. I am glad I can't get flooded out. It is that bad 

3 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hope you get the date as planned - and good luck with the op!

• Posted

Goodluck. Im still waiting for info on my op. Whqt are you taking in with you? Im still trying to find out as much as possible
    • Posted

Hi sarah

thanks. Well anything to help with the boredom. I hate hospitals and find them very hard to stay so  I have a mobile DVD player so will be taking some films in with me. I am taking my iPad so I can watch TV because the one on the ward was broken so probably still is.  all the usual stuff Tshirts & shorts. To wear in bed and during the day. ( easier for nurses to see if there are any problems if they can see the colour of your skin. ) I usually travel light so just a small weekend bag. Makes me laugh when I see folk arrive with big suitcases as if they going on holiday or staying for a year.  lol  

• Posted

Hahahaha im one of those people. I just need to take everythingm yeah i find it very difficult to concentrate in hospital especially when im staying there. Ill take as much as possible to keep me entertained i suppose. do you know much about if you can shower whilst in hospital?
    • Posted

When I was there last time I had a shower the morning of my op. ( take a hair  drier ) then depending on what dressing you have you might or might not be allowed one. I didn't have a shower and had to cope with strip washes. It all depends on your individual case and what the surgeon does with regard to closing your wound. I didn't want staples I have seen wounds stapled and didn't like the look of them so I went with melting stitches. Which means not getting the wound wet for at least two weeks. 
    • Posted

Do you think if i got staples id be allowed a shower? Iv already got two very larger scars on my left hip that were stapled and i want my new scar to match as it will be one the same side. It sounds of saying that but iv got ocd and it would make me very stressed if it wasnt the same. Although i dont think i could cope with strip washing. Do the nurses do that in the hospital?
    • Posted

I had staples, and showering was no problem, encouraged in fact, but you need a waterproof dressing.

Graham

• Posted

I was given them automatically - they told me on day 2 that I could shower whenever I felt up to it - so I did - it felt wonderful.

The TED stockings are a real pain.  In hospital I got the nurses to help, at home, my wife was unable to move them, so I showered with them on, and she used a hairdryer on them to dry them in-situ. lol

Graham

• Posted

I will deffo have to try and go down that route. I get really made when i feel unclean. How exactly did you shower? Were you in the shower on your crutches? Sitting on a chair? Being held by someone?
    • Posted

It was a walk-in cubicle, went in using 2 sticks, left them outside the cubicle, there was no chair, but there were grab handles - but I was OK from the start just standing.  I am sure a nurse would have helped if I had requested it - but thankfully to prevent embarassment (no male nurses on hand) I was OK.

I was advised not to 'actively' clean the scar area, just let the water run over it.

I know what you mean - it felt really wonderful.  lol

Graham

• Posted

Ahh right i see. Im not a 100% if i will be allowed to do that because when i get my op they have to move ny hips down so i dont no how its gonna work. But i seriously hope i will be able to shower.
  • Posted

Good Luck, hope the date doesn't get changed again.
    • Posted

Hi Loral so do I, I am dreading it happening again. Don't really want to go but I have to. I have had enough of the pain. The stiff sore muscles and the cold foot because the circulation isn't good and my knee is killing me almost as bad as the hip.  I will be so glad to get off these X pain killers. That is for sure. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.