Two weeks to go packing my bag and

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello fellow hippies

two weeks today ( as long as nothing goes wrong ) I will be in the same ward I was in 8 months ago having my right hip replaced. 

I have been been busy the last few days packing my bag and wrapping presents. I have worked out that if I am in for the same. Ammount of time as last time I won't get home till 2 days before Christmas. Eve so I still have a lot to sort out before I go in. Shopping almost done but wrote a list for other 1/2 to get stuff in that won't keep. still waiting on some parcels but presents I have to send out are done.The tree is up and so are the decorations. I am getting worried in case I get cancelled again. But I have been promised that if I do I will be in the first week they go back after Christmas. 

I hope ops all of you getting the bad weather are safe it is really bad here. I am glad I can't get flooded out. It is that bad 

3 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hope all goes well Hailea, please keep us informed, hope you are taking your mobil or tablet in with you so have games and reading to do x
    • Posted

Hi marilyn

there is NO WAY I will forget my phone or tablet. They are my lifeline in hospital I have so many friends that phone to see how I am and things to do or watch on my iPad I am sure I will be fine. 👍

• Posted

HI Hailea:

Good preparations.  Oraganisation is the key, and it keeps you busy!  Hope all goes well for you.

Sick and tired of this weather.  I do not go out unless absolutely necessary.  Struggled around Sainsbury.  It is now time to start using the delivery services as I live alone, and cannot rely on anyone helping out.

Good luck and all the best,

Susie

• Posted

Hi susie

thank you

well I have done it once so know what to do and what to expect. 

I am am not sure how much rain I have had here but the bucket in the  back yard has been filled twice in 4 days the wind is still really strong here. Sill. There is. More to come. I don't think it will be long before the snow hit here either. 

• Posted

We are meant to get snow tonight and we had some super strong wind yesterday and so much rain today
    • Posted

I would rather have snow than rain. But that would be more dangerous to walk on but is is still better than getting soaking wet. In the rain. I those winds here we're hiring 85 mph eek
    • Posted

Yeah id much rather have the snow to but yes it is dangerous. Having 4cm different in my legs makes it difficult to walk on solid ground never mind icy paths. I dont know how many times i ended up on my bum last year
    • Posted

There is a product called Trax. They are. Springs that fit to the bottom of your shoes. They are the best they don't let you slip. I have used mine for years for when I raced my husky teams all over the country. Never fell once. 

You our might want to get yourself some for next year. 

• Posted

Oohh where did you get them from? And you raced huskies? I love huskies
    • Posted

I keep meaning to ask people but i forgot. Once you recovered fully for your op were you allowed to sit crossed legged like children do in schools. I knkw this sounds silly but because of my condition iv never been able to bemd my left leg inwards, therefore never been able to sit crossed legged, it would make me so happy to be able to do it even once.
    • Posted

I have not been able to really test my left leg out since the op because only a few days after having the left side done the right side collapsed and I have been in agony ever since. I am hardly able to move now. I am unable to sit up or lay flat it is just too painful. Sorry I can't help you with that question. 
    • Posted

Sorry also  I meant to say I have never sat with my legs crossed since being a child
    • Posted

Ahhh i see. Im sorry to here that. Hope everything will be fixed soon
    • Posted

Yeah its not really a thing adults do i think but im only 19 and always felt kinda cheated that iv never been able to do it so its one of those silly dreams iv got
    • Posted

This I this is the other reason I am scared I am not sure my muscles  will be strong enough to cope with the new hip. My GP said I may need intensive hydrotherapy and physio in the gym to gain back what I have lost. I have no calf muscle on my right leg and no butt muscles 
    • Posted

This is going to sound silly but whats hydrotherapy? Something involving a pool? Im a bit worried to because iv got no cartiledge or muscle in my knees or anything so i dont know if that will effect things once iv had my op
    • Posted

Hydrotherapy is excersize in a shallow warm pool the heat helps warm your muscles the water helps build your muscles with risistance. It is a great way to excersize  because the water takes the body weight off your joints
    • Posted

Google google trax you can get them on eBay. 

Yes i I used to have two teams. I owned 17 dogs at one stage. 

• Posted

Scratch that Google Yaktrax
    • Posted

Oh that sounds good. Where do the hospital send you to do that? Is it an add on to your physiotherapy? And wow 17 huskies. Did they all live with you?
    • Posted

Google the hospital you are going to or phone them they will tell you if they have a pool in the physio centre. 

Yes of of course I had my dogs with me I wouldn't trust anyone else to look after them. Huskies form a really strong bond with there owners they see you as pack leader and respect you much like a wolf. I also have an Alaskan malamute. 

• Posted

I think i will. Omg id be so happy having that many dogs living with me ☺ omg malamutes are so adorable
    • Posted

I am getting 3 more new dogs next year once I am back on my feet. I have lost most of  my dogs to old age since being bad with my hips. I am down to 4 and the malamute is really old so she won't last much longer. I have a border collie pup on order. 2 new husky pups and may be a new malamute pup  for the following year. 
    • Posted

Aww no thats so sad. But you must have ahuge house to have so many big dogs. I dont think my hospital has a hydrotherapy pool. But i didnt think it would. Its not exactly in a great area
    • Posted

Medium sized house huge garden with kennels but the dogs are in the house now there are so few of them and when I had the big pack they were in the kennels during the day and in the purpose built dog room after spending the evening in the lounge with the family.  The malamute and border collies I had were / are great guard dogs. Always let us know if anyone about.  I am sure your GP could sort hydrotherapy if your surgeon or physio therapists think you need it. 
    • Posted

Aww i bet. If they decide yoy need hydrotherapy but you dont bave one at the hospital do you have to pay to have it somewhere else?
    • Posted

There is one at my hospital I already have had a few sessions but it hurt my bad leg so much I had to give it up. You should be able to get it through the NHS at a hospital near you even if you have to travel a bit but they don't usually send you unless you need it. See how you go and then if you feel you need it ask your surgeon once you are healed up because you won't be able to have hydro therapy till your scar is fully healed over it takes longer if you have staples than it does with stitches. 
    • Posted

Ahh i understand. How come it made you worse?
    • Posted

Because they were forcing me to excersize my right leg when I was suppose  to be strengthening my left leg ready for this op. also being so tall the pool just wasn't deep enough for me to  get the full benefit of taking  the weight off the hips fully.  Every session had me layer up in agony with my right leg for 3-5 days I couldn't move at all. After the last session so I just cancled the last 3. And never went back. I will work hard to make up for it when I am able to go back because I have lost so much leg muscle it is unreal 
    • Posted

I have replied to you but I have got to wait for a MOD to OK my post. 

This always seems to happen when I use my iPad. 

• Posted

I didn't have to ask for hydrotherapy, it was offered to me by my physio. I am on my second lot of 6 sessions, it's brilliant for your hip, both good and bad. You can strengthen, and move the muscles more in water than you can out of it. It starts with a hot shower and then into the pool which is shoulder deep (Iam 5foot 10inches) and it is warm, when you come out after half an hour, you have a drink (because it can cause dehydration) and another hot shower. It really is great if you can get it. Love Gill xx
    • Posted

That sounds really amazing. Kinda hope i get offered it now haha
    • Posted

Ah i understand. Thats terrible. Im sorry to hear that
    • Posted

That's ok these things happen some times things are either misinterpreted or they just read your notes and see what they want to see. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.