type 2 clammy sweats after eating ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have type 2 diabeties and take 4 metformin a day, 2 at morning and 2 at tea time, about 11/2 hours to 2 hours after eating i have started to have terrible sweats, i go wet through and am cold to touch, but inside i am boiling, these only happen after meals and not any other time, has anyone else suffered this ? and can anyone help it is so embarrassing, i am 56 years ols but have gone through the menopause as i had an hysterectomy at 34 years .

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jean, that sounds a bit extreme. I have been type 2 for several years now and have never had any of those symtoms - I suggest a visit to your GP.

I take a aloglipin/metformin combined tablet twice a day 12.5mg/1000mg respectively, and, touching wood, appear to be under control without side affects.

• Posted

Thank you for replying, someone suggested they were hypo's but that is not correct because i have tested my blood and it has been between 8 and 10 when it occurs .
  • Posted

Normally I would have suggested that this was possibly as the result of a hypoglycemic shock, but as you have tested your blood glucose levels and found them to be within tolerable limits I feel that this problem hormone-related, possibly connected to an estrogen deficiency.

The sweating could of course be idiopathic hyperhidrosis for which there is no know reason for it's occurrence.

In any event I feel that you should advise your doctor of these symptoms, and when you do, also mention the possibility in a shortfall of your natural hormones.

• Posted

thank you i will tell the doctor, thats if i can ever get an appointment, it would be easier to see the queen !!!
    • Posted

I have looked up the idiopathic hyperhidrosis and i dont have that as i only have the sweats after eating.
    • Posted

I agree that it can be difficult to actually get an appointment, nevertheless I feel that you should persevere and at very least get your hormone levels checked - even if you have to wait a while.

That is the only way in which you can rule-out that possibility.

• Posted

I have exactly the same problem.  I also have had a hysterectomy.  I was told that it was probably related to hormone imbalance but due to family history unable to take HRT so I am now taking oxybutinin which helps to dry things up slightly.  If you ever find out what causes yours I would appreciate a personal message as I do not think my treatment is a total answer as I stick break out in a slight sweat and feel uncomfortable.  If I get anxious it can still be quite severe.  Also I tend to suffer dry eyes now as well.
  • Posted

Hi Jean. Yes, I get this too. I am type 2, diagnosed in Sept.'13 and am trying to control with diet although the doctor is now talking about putting me on Metformin. I also only get the sweating after eating. Sometimes it is so bad, I have wet hair. I have taken to carrying baby wipes in my handbag and a holiday sized deoderant as I get paranoid about smelling! When I attended a diabetes course with about twenty other people, I asked if anyone else got this and they all looked at me blankly and shook their heads. Even the nurse running the course said she had never come across it before. I thought it was just me! By the way, I am 55yrs old, have not had hysterectomy but have been sterilised. However that was 15yrs ago so I don't think it's connected. My partner is also type 2, on Metformin and he gets these sweats during his sleep! Hope we get an answer somewhere. Take care, Debbie
    • Posted

Hi Debbie, you described the sweats so well i could have written it myself !, my hair also goes wet through and i am constantly slyly smelling my armpits which is very embarrassing, wish someone could say what causes it because i am fed up with it now, my son (36) gave me a cuddle last week and pulled away saying   "mother you are wet through but feel cold like a dead fish ."        CHEERS SON
    • Posted

I went on a similar course and had the same reaction from everyone.  Even my GP didn't think it was related.  As I am a certain age they said it was my menopausal symptoms following my hysterectomy but i am 9 years down the line now and still having them always after eating. If I forget my metformin I also get it so I have come to the conclusion it is a sugar/carbohydrate flushing.  My husband also gets this and he is border line diabetic.  I have reduced our carbs slightly and they are happening less this week for both of us.  Can't say for definate that this is the cause but I think I might be on the right track.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.