Ultrasound appointment waiting times

Posted , 4 users are following.

My GP thinks i may have an ovarian cyst or endometriosis so he's referred me for an ultrasound. He was very vague with the waiting times for my appointment and I've been waiting for nearly 11 weeks and still not heard anything back. Can anyone advise me on current waiting times for these scans?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Martina,

I may be older than you but when I visited my GP she said that I had a mass on my ovary and I should be seen within 2 weeks as this sort of thing fell into the risk area for cancer even though it usually turns out to be benign. I would go back to your GP and say that you know of other women who have been seen in two weeks. I was under St Georges hospital in London and from seeing the GP it took 10 days to see a cnsultant, 3 more days for a CT scan and I was operated on in less than 8 weeks. Some GP's don't know the procedure. I just had a cyst but it was very large and all recovered now!  Good luck!!

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I've just come back from my gp and he was disgusted that i hadnt had my appointment yet so he called the hospital up and the next available appointment is in 5 weeks time! I know the nhs are under a lot of strain but having to wait 16 weeks for a scan is ridiculous and ive just been told that i'll have to wait a further 18 weeks after my scan to see a gynaecologist rolleyes
  • Posted

That seems such a long time. They must think it is not serious otherwise  a sure you would be rushed through. I hope it goes well. I would call the hospital and see if you can be offered a cancellation. They did it the other way round for me. I saw the gynaecologist within 10 days ad he organised the CT scan as an ultrasound doesn't show up as much, although he did the ultrasound at the initial appt. I would keep hassling them! GOOD LUCK. I hope you're not feeling too unwell.

• Posted

Hi Martina,

I went to see my doc as I'd been getting pelvic pain for a couple of months now...my doc said she thinks it is IBS but needs to check to make sure I don't have ovarian cysts.  She didnt examine me.  My ultrasound is on Thurs...two weeks after seeing my GP.  I am worried because my apt is so quick!  I am 41 and live in Norfolk.  Either it is a postcode lottery or they are certain there is no chance of it being cancer...I would ask your GP why it isnt being done within two weeks as per NICE guidelines.  Apparently my ultrasound report will be then sent to my GP within a week.  Best of luck 

• Posted

Hi Andrea,

My gp said i don't fall into the priority category due to my age 😐. My appointment is now in a couple of days so hopefully i can get some answers as to why im in so much pain.

I hope all went well with your scan.

Regards

Martina

• Posted

Hi Martina, Glad you have your appointment in a couple of days.  I had my scan and there are no abnormalities thankfully.  Just need to find the cause of my pain...probably ibs afterall.  So relieved it is not cysts. I hope all goes well for you 😀
  • Posted

Hi Martina,

I've been following threads on this forum for a while and cannot believe the waiting times most people are expected to deal with.

I recently had a couple of ultrasounds for expected ovarian cysts both done within 2-3 days of my GP referring me. However, at first I was put on the hospital waiting list and was told it would be at least 5 weeks.

My GP and I thought this was unacceptable so he referred me via the Choose and Book system to see a mobile clinic. He requested the appointment on the Friday, I then received a letter on the Monday to call a number and make an appointment. They had lots available, I chose one that day and was seen at a gp surgery about 10 mins away.

When I needed my second scan, I was seen by a differen GP who said 5 weeks was a standard wait and she couldn't do anything about it. I explained about the choose and book system and she said she couldn't help. I then called back and spoke to a different GP who said she could absolutely help and referred me, I had my scan a couple of days later. Again, there were lots of locations/dates/times to choose from and all within a week.

I'm not sure if every single area has this but I had a look at their leaflets and it definitely isn't a local thing. They had information for patients in the North West, East Mids and South just to name a few.

I hope this helps in some way and wish you the best with your health.

• Posted

Hi Patch8,

The waiting times in my area are horrendous! I was initially told my appointment was on October 20th after me waiting over 11 weeks just to hear from the hospital. My GP was disgusted so he rang the hospital back and demanded i be seen earlier as my symptoms have become worse. My new appointment is 12th Sept so in total i will have waited 17 weeks for a 15min scan. I have asked about choose and book but ultrasounds and gynaecology appointments are excluded from this service in all my local hospital trusts which is annoying as i will also need to see a gynaecologist after my scan results.

Thanks for the advice its nicely appreciated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.