Ultrasound on lymph nodes

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I am 15 years old and I have been struggling with these lymph nodes I've found on the back of my head, which have been there for years. I went to my pediatrician multiple times for them and later an ENT who couldn't find them and told me they were too small to worry about. A couple months ago I found more lymph nodes in my neck, which really concerned me. I had to bring it up to my doctor during a physical because my parents did not want to get them checked anymore since I had went to the doctor several times about this. The doctor told me to get an ultrasound of my neck and spleen, blood work, and an x ray of my chest. Fortunately, he called me and told me that the results showed no signs of cancer but the ultrasound picked up the swollen lymph nodes. Despite this, I still feel uneasy because I read that ultrasounds can't confirm cancer?? They can only detect tumors and their sizes in certain places. Is there a way doctors can rule out all cancers from an ultrasound, blood work, or x ray??

As for my lymph nodes, the ones in the back of my head are hard and barely move. They are not that large but the one of my left side feels like two right next to each other?? They have been there for probably 2-3 years. I have one soft, movable small lymph node in my armpit that they did not check and I'm not sure about my neck ones. I know there is one that is very small, soft and movable but there is also a very hard one and I don't know if its a lymph node or a part of my neck.

Anyways, I mostly want to know if ultrasounds and blood works can rule out cancer?? And if anyone shares my symptoms please reply!! Thank you.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

I have multiple lymph nodes in my neck following a bad infection that are still here a year later. Ultrasounds cant 100% rule out cancer however they can see other signs besides tumors if something is amiss, assuming it was a true radiologist running the device they can check doppler to check blood flow, if a node has more blood flow than it should thats concerning. they also can check the shape and general fatty material inside that show if something more serious is inside. again they cant rule out cancer entirely but a radiologist who is thorough and sees no worrysome signs is very reassuring. The only 100% test in biopsy through excision, or needle although needle has a small chance of missing lymphoma.

• Posted

Thank you for the help and sorry for the late reply. Can I ask what the characteristics of your lymph nodes are? (hard, soft, large, small, etc.) I haven't had any big infections as far as I know to cause lymph nodes like this. I keep coming back to these forums because I discover something new and concerning that spikes my anxiety. I feel like the one in the back of my head got a little larger. Has that happened with your lymph nodes?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.