Understanding the Invisable

Posted , 7 users are following.

If you fibro folk can bear another thought on today's society!   Written after a comment from a friend - made me think how many folk out there are misunderstood.   Called No Spots.

No spots, no scars, no walking frame

No cast, no splints or bandages

And so she is not entitled to consideration or a kindly word

A shirker, hypochondriac.

Fatigued she said

We all get tired

It’s more than that she cried

I’m numb, exhausted, foggy brained

Blind in one eye.

But still no visible reason for her laziness

Believing her to be

A benefit cheat as the papers say

For all of us to see.

She limps sometimes and then forgets

Or so it seems to them

They have no comprehension 

One day fine another not to suit her they believe

If only they would take the time to see what is

Underneath

And understand the nature of her ills

but quick to judge they are

Their accusations and their gossip

Eventually reach her ears

She can take no more  and an

Overdose finds her on the floor.

Guilty neighbours rally round

If only we had known

We could have helped her cope they cried

And now, well what of now

community rallied round and we find

A caring happy neighbourhood where

Side by side man and woman stand

United to the cause

To treat as would be treated one and all.

12 likes, 253 replies

253 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh you have hit the nail right on the head Maggers.  Well done you!

Words like this tumble out when there is heart-felt empathy...and suffering on a personal level methinks.

A valued input.

Chickabee

• Posted

Thanks. I cannot think fast enough when the incidents happen but have to reflect and put my thoughts down on paper.  Good old fibro fog is to blame I think.
  • Posted

You've began  metamorphosing pain into poetry and I bow to you. 

To you all I leave here Rashani Rea's

The Unbroken

There is a brokenness

out of which comes the unbroken,

a shatteredness

out of which blooms the unshatterable.

There is a sorrow

beyond all grief which leads to joy

and a fragility

out of whose depths emerges strength.

There is a hollow space

too vast for words

through which we pass with each loss,

out of whose darkness

we are sanctioned into being.

There is a cry deeper than all sound

whose serrated edges cut the heart

as we break open to the place inside

which is unbreakable and whole,

while learning to sing.

• Posted

Once again....so so true ! wink x
  • Posted

Hello Maggers,

What a beautiful piece of writing. I think you have so hit the nail on the head, a rare talent.

Take care, Anne

• Posted

Maggers you are definitely a poet laureate  🌠 in the making. Thank you for bringing poetry back into my life.

Meg

🌺

• Posted

Oh Maggers;   how true, and isn't it the way?  I once worked with a girl (well we were young then), and I Didn't even know she suffered from severe depression:   I thought she was a really lovely person, and loved working with her, she was always caring to her patients, liked to learn anything New when she came to work with me in the ED, and then all of a sudden, she was moved back to the wards....when I asked "why?"...the response was "political reasons", which I couldn't understand....then when I saw her Death notice in the papers, everyone said  "of course it was sudden...she committed suicide...she was depressed"....it hit me b...hard......I wished I'd made a Bigger Stand...and it has taught me (hopefully) to Try and get people to open up, but still find there are some that just don't know how????  How do we help those?  Maybe I should start this in a New discussion?
    • Posted

You were young how were you supposed to know. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I think the answer is before one judges another's actions think and engage brain before speaking.  I was always told God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason. Listen twice as much as you speak.  Sometimes depression is hidden quite skillfully by the sufferer.  How many times have you heard people say "well I never knew so and so had xyz".In a busy world perhaps we are all guilty of being too wrapped up in our own problems to see the suffering of anyone else.   I try to smile/speak to one person I do not know every day.  Who knows that one smile or word could make all the difference to that person's day.
    • Posted

Thanks maggers; this I have learn't too (my kids are always saying that "I talk to Everyone".....say it takes us soooo long to get through our day/s out......Bron
    • Posted

This one is a keeper...and one to share daily with whomever God places in our path...love it!

Chickabee

• Posted

Hi bronwyn I suffer really bad with depression its not always easy to talk about as where I live their is alot of stigma to do with depression. one of the gps at our surjury dissmisses it wount here of it. I went with my husband to the drs he had a break down to do with work. with having depression myself I know all the signs. the only appointment we could get was with this 1 dr. he totaly dismissed my husband. I was so angry I demanded another appointment with the gp that I normally see, I got him into see her, she signed him of work for 2 week put him on antidepressents and asked to see him again 2 weeks later. alot of gps dismiss depression and say it doesnt exist. my heart goes out to people that have it and how we are sometimes treated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.