Undiagnosed Dysphagia that is worsening

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 31 year old male with severe dysphagia:

• Started 10 years ago where it was very mild/required water with meals.
  • 2 years ago it got worse and had to slow down on eating
  • 1.5 years ago it hit the point where I can only eat small bits of soft food
  • 1 year ago it got worse to only soft foods, small amounts, barely 300 calories.
  • Currently it fluctuates between bad weeks where a yoghurt will be hard and others where I could eat 2 yoghurts.
  • It is also difficult to swallow saliva regularly.

Symptoms

• Feels like something is always there pressing into my throat, if I move my head around it gets worse NOT globus.
  • Had Barium swallow, 2 x OGD, 1 x Colonoscopy, 1 x transnasal OGD, S&L therapy and results are everything normal.
  • The focus was on the oropharangeal stage as food does not get stuck, it is the moment prior to initiating the swallow.
  • Don't drink, don't smoke, no drugs. Had Roaccutane as a teen, that's about it.
  • My posture is not great and I don't exercise for obvious underweight reasons.
  • I have an appetite and want to eat so badly.

I am getting no help from any doctors. It is a "youll just have to live with it" situation. Where my quality of life is going to get worse as I don't get the nutrients I need.

I need to know what other possibitlites this could be? What I can do to improve it?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

hi anon i have this but at 73 i can manage with mushed up food and all things soft soupy you syptums very similar have they offered any treatment as i said i can cope but your only young and need to eat my specialst mentioned 2 treatments 1 they put a ballon in and widen osephgus 2 a botox into sphinkter so as relaxes and easier for food to pass hope this may help you

• Posted

I suggest to take your case to another hospital via your GP asking for an independent second opinion, as for many years my husband was misdiagnosed told the same it’s something he has to live with and because we insisted there was something wrong - it wasn’t psychological it was a physical problem, after him suffering with uncontrollable oesophagus spasms, unable to eat, extreme weight loss, this causing his severe anxiety and depression, been advised to see a psychologist to who said in the report that it wasn’t an mental causing a physical it was a physical causing a mental problem - cause us all unnecessary suffering for many years.

We convinced our GP to refer us to a different hospital and they looked over the previous test results and saw a problem -

Several tests had to be repeated to which they found severe problems with his oesophagus - we are now under a London consultant and we are now receiving treatment for type 3 achalasia.

you know your own body - keep being persistent as hopefully you will find answers

good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.