Update on dizziness/shortness of breath ...

Posted , 8 users are following.

Having had some "episodes" of nearly fainting with rapid heartbeat/dizziness/odd balance/blurred vision etc...had many blood tests....ECG this morning......nurse was very direct, nothing wrong (but will see doc in 2 weeks) bloods were ok, not aneamic, or diabetic, ceoliac, or other things......when I asked if vit D was tested....wait for it....no, that`s too expensive.....oh I came out of there feeling quite worthless, but before I left, she lectured me on my high cholesterol...6.8 (didn`t starve for the test) went through everything especially diet, and came to the conclusion it`s steroids that are raising it, and then said...you will have to go on statins. if you stay on pred....to which I replied, I won`t have to do anything if I don`t want to! 

?Do many of you have raised cholesterol?

?Had MRI for lower back pelvis hip pain...came back ankolysing(spelling?) deteriation....what ever that means??...and so it goes on....

?Am seeing a rheumatologist in 2 weeks so hopefully he can make some suggestions....but fear it will be DMARDS to help lower pred (10.5mg)

?Thanks for any suggestions....

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have had many episodes of dizziness, blurred vision, rapid heartbeat, balance bad etc.   My doctor and the Rheumy have said it is my 'exquisite sensitivity' to Prednisolone which causes all my problems.   At the moment I am withdrawing from 7.25mg to 7mg and having irregular heartbeats esp at night, increased anxiety and restlessness and trying to keep calm !

I also have raised cholesterol level of 6.6.  My good cholesterol (HDL) is over 3, so my doc isnt too worried about it.   I told him there is no way I am going on statins.  He agrees that I have enough side effects from the Pred, Betablockers and acid suppressants, without adding to them !!   If your good cholesterol is quite high I am told it is not such a worry.  Ask your Nurse/Doctor what your HDL is.  I always get copies of my blood results so I can keep a record at home.

• Posted

If HDL is high and/or total is only somewhat elevated, my MDs have said Do NOT take statins. There is a link of statins to back pain and PMR. But be sure to check it out with a couple of doctors.

My HDL is extremely high and I've been at a medrol level of 8mg (=10mg prednisone) for a couple of months. Into my second year on medrol.

• Posted

I think I might go back and inform her that privately a vit D test costs a whole £25 from the lab in the Midlands that does testing for the NHS. I don't imagine they do it cheaper for you, the NHS buys in bulk. Google it! A friend was told it was £200 for a vit D test - er, rubbish. and when she told them - they did it, admittedly with rather poor grace.

Were you having a faint/dizzy/rapid heart beat etc episode while she was actually doing the ECG? Unless you were, she CANNOT say there is nothing wrong. I'd be doubtful a practice nurse can read an ECG that well anyway. Even experienced doctors sometimes struggle. Overall, how patronising...

I have raised cholesterol due to the pred - I refused to take them until I was in hospital after a drug-reaction severe atrial fibrillation episode. I took a low dose every other day for less than 10 days and was nearly in a wheelchair - I stopped them and started to feel better quite quickly but it was months before I got back to where I had been before. The cardiologist was fine about - it was the non-cardiologists who had dished it out on the basis of raised cholesterol. My HDL cholesterol is very high - which takes up the total level obviously. However, there is no good evidence that, for a woman who has not yet had a cardiovascular event (heart attack or stroke), taking statins will prevent one happening. It does appear to reduce the risk of a repeat though. Statins would be fine - if it were not that they are slowly being sussed out: new German research shows they can now be linked to the development of dementias including Alzheimers (there is a reason for older people having raised cholesterol - probably to protect neural function), poor memory is a common side effect and one of the adverse reactions listed on at least one data sheet is PMR, they certainly cause muscle and joint pain. Thanks but no thanks!

However - if your MRI shows ankylosing spondylitis you may be off the pred sooner than you think! PMR and ankylosing spondylitis can present very similarly, but AS is an inflammatory arthritis and responds much better to other medications. As you are seeing a rheumy soon - I suspect there may be some discussion about your medication. There is a lady on the HealthUnlocked forum who has been a mystery patient although almost certainly had undiagnosed GCA for some time. She happened to mention to her new rheumy she has a lot of pain at night - and was sent for an MRI. The result was AS was diagnosed, she has been put onto an NSAID (meloxicam I think) which has already helped the stiffness and pain and she will go onto an anti-TNF biologic drug in the New Year - one of a choice of five.

So, looking forward to the next installment.

• Posted

Thank you so much for all this info....

?Yes, the nurse (a relief) was very patronising....when I said I`m not taking statins I have enough muscle and joint pain now...she said they don`t cause that, only pins and needles! She did say that the "bad" part of the cholesterol was the highest....but I have read many conflicting articles about statins.....and if the medics can`t agree about them....well....

?No, I didn`t have an"episode" while having the ECG....so watch this space....will discuss all of this when I see a different rheumie in a couple of weeks, who hopefully will let me at least ask questions.......which the last one wouldn`t....and perhaps I will have some answers!  Interesting about the lady on HealthUnlockedforum.....sounds somewhat familiar to me....

?Thanks very much again, and when I have been to hospital in a couple of weeks, will post with results.....

?Hope it`s not too cold where you are Eileen, like here!.(Uk Norfolk)..bet it`s pretty thoughsmile

• Posted

It was -8C yesterday morning and crawled up to about +2C. This morning it was -5C - and we walked down to OBI (Germanic B&Q) for himself to get new xmas lights (bah humbug!). We came out and the sun was shining and it felt so warm we stopped at their cafe for a "beer and a Birdy" (Aperol spritz) sitting outside! It reached 10C this afernoon - we hung the lights on the balcony and I sat out there to drink my tea! Some places in the region were warmer - further up the valley was over 13C and over on the west side it made 15C but with strong wind, we had little wind. But no snow (hardly at that temperature) except what they are making up the mountain lol

• Posted

The local pharmacy were charging twelve pounds for vit D testing recently. I suppose it may have been a lost leader as they were hoping to sell their vit D tablets at some exorbitant price of course. I think I may have a black star against my name at the medical centre. I have had fights with one GP over Alendronic Acid, he is mad keen I should take it as I am on long term steroids. I said if he could prove I needed them fine, but the Dexascan did not show it. I thought I had won but the next time I saw him he brought it up again, another argument. He then wrote to the rheumie saying I had refused AA. I have worked with the pharmaceutical industry for thirty five years and probably know as much as the GP about drugs. 
    • Posted

I suspect notably more ptolemy! What is more to the point, you have worked on the other side of the fence, as have I! I have translated many a final report on various stages of drug trials in the context of how to slant the marketing!
    • Posted

Yes, always a battle!.... the last rheumie I saw wanted me to take mtx, becuse she said three & half years was too long to be on pred!....when I said no (I`ve seen the results on my sister...very ill) she really didn`t like that....and said, come back to me when you are down to 5mg!.(i`m on 10.5)....that was eighteen months ago.....(many flares etc) She also wanted me to have AA (refused)....why don`t they like to be challenged, it`s our bodies!  I`m sure you know more than them!

• Posted

Eileen That is kind of you to say so.  I work with the marketing departments mainly on new drug launches. Until I started taking pred I had not taken any drugs in thirty five years including over the counter ones! I had paracetamol for the first time in my life this year when I had sciatica, it turned out to be a total waste of time for me. My GP reckons I have had a lot of pred side effects because I have not taken any medication. I am not sure if she is correct or not, but a nice theory. 
    • Posted

I think a lot of doctors still live in a world when the doctor was king. I was chatting with friends today and we were saying without the drugs to support them a lot of doctors would be pretty useless. 
    • Posted

Not kind at all - it is true. I sometimes get the impression the average GP slept through their pharmacology lectures! They definitely slept through their physiology classes!

Yes - I occasionally have aspirin or paracetamol in the cupboard but not for me! Paracetamol is one of the biggest con-tricks out there - and the Aussies have cottoned on to that and looked more closely: placebo effect. GPs in the UK were furious that the advice was given it was useless for low back pain "we haven't got anything left to prescribe now" and it was reinstated. No wonder the NHS is in such a mess! I wish I knew how people get onto the NICE committees! 

I do find some younger doctors are rather less elitist - but remember the shredding I got on the HU forum? "I'm a GP - and the rest of you are not..."

• Posted

I must admit when I had one of my fights with the male GP, he did say "I am just a mear GP!" I must be getting to him. 

• Posted

Too right....my mother-in-law who died aged 93,  4 years ago, thought doctors were absolute gods.....but that generation did....

?I have never been able to tolerate meds.....because I think of having fibromyalgia as well, which makes a person VERY sensitive to lots of things....especially noise/light/smells etc.....even have to be careful with aneasthetics(spelling?) for ops/dentist.....

?What then may I ask do you take if pain is too much and need something....we can`t have anti-inflammatories, so......what`s left I ask myself....

?Think most people like myself (not connected to Pharmaceuticals in any way) are suspicious of "trials" etc, they are mostly paid for by them anyway.....it`s such a shame that we have to feel like this and not trust the "powers that be"

• Posted

I went to medical school - twice. Once to start medicine, once to finish a physiology degree. I have many medically qualified friends and have worked amongst them most of my life. Really - they are no different from any other graduate - and they mostly have big black holes in their knowledge. The good ones know - the dangerous ones don't.

I was told I couldn't really use any pain-relief medication when I asked re bursitis - pred and an anticoagulant rule out NSAIDs - so I do get a bit more help in terms of dealing with underlying causes here. I wonder if that is why they make less fuss about the pred dose????????

• Posted

You may be right....usually are!!...but I think they know you have a medical background, I was spoken by the nurse yesterday like I was a child...not having that, I don`t mean to be sarcastic, but I`m 11st 3 (5ft 3)  she was about 15stone, lecturing me on diet, I don`t smoke or drink...cook fresh every evening..so she didn`t like it when she couldn`t trap me......so end up saying you will have to go on  statins......

​Apparently according to statistics (don`t we love them!) I have a 10% chance of  heart attack in 10 years.......wait for it, mainly because of my age (65) well, I can`t do anything about that I told her!!

​Have been to Bowen, physio..acupunture recently, to help with pain, but waiting to see what a different rheumie suggests in a couple of weeks....

• Posted

Certainly when we moved to Durham I went to the GP and, not knowing any better, took the first appointment I was offered. He never looked up from his computer while telling me very brusquely he wasn't going to deal with what I had gone for until I had had my overdue smear done! I duly had it done and the nurse said she'd now fetch the doctor so I asked if it HAD to be him. She looked sympathetic but said sorry, no, had to be him. He arrived - and greeted me like an old friend! The difference? He'd seen me at the hospital educational lunchtime lecture in white coat and NHS label. I was disgusted. He had his uses though - if we wanted a quick appointment we went to him as he ALWAYS had spaces! I have no idea why he was a GP - he was generally brilliant but his clinical skills were poor and he would always ask what WE thought it might be. He should have been a pathologist - they don't have to talk to their patients.

But yes - I would take exception at a morbidly obese nurse telling me about cardiac risk!

• Posted

We had a GP like that who has now retired. He was known in the village as Dr Death (or De'ath by some people!) because of his cock ups. On the other hand he was very interested in non human animals and people used to take injured ones to him. He should have been a vet perhaps. 

• Posted

Don't think he cocked up too much - but he just didn't have people skills. Which, I suppose, when you think about it, is a major cause of cock ups...

• Posted

In fact he was very likeable. BUT Two people died as he misdiagnosed meningitis, he said they had flu. He did make the front page of the local press. My brother broke his arm and he said he was fine and could just carry on and failed to realise there was a problem, my next door neighbour's son had a perforated ear drum he did not spot. He told a lady to wear compression stockings who had a thrombosis. A teenager nearly died with an allergy to broad beans, but luckily he saw someone else. He diagnosed one guy with asthma when he had heart problems. When he died at night a few days later at home the police had to be brought in as he had not been diagnosed. He told someone's husband to take an aspirin who then died that night. In fact Dr Death was a good name.

• Posted

Yeeesss! See your point!

My MIL had a doctor like that - while I'm not sure he killed anyone he certainly didn't help them defer their deaths! He misdiagnosed MIL - scared her to death by telling her she had a heart condition and sticking her on digitoxin without monitoring the dose - when actually she was desperately anaemic. Which we got identified when she visited us in Germany. He'd been looking at her eyes - obviously hadn't heard of the haematology lab! He couldn't recognise thrush on a baby's bum - nor on her mother's lips. 

To add insult to injury my MIL had named him in her will - until I told her in no uncertain terms just what he'd already managed to do to her family, never mind any others! The cat's home would have been fine - not him!

• Posted

Seems like you had a lucky escape!.....

​We know they aren`t gods (although some think they are!)  but that is frightening....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.