Update on dizziness/shortness of breath ...

Posted , 8 users are following.

Having had some "episodes" of nearly fainting with rapid heartbeat/dizziness/odd balance/blurred vision etc...had many blood tests....ECG this morning......nurse was very direct, nothing wrong (but will see doc in 2 weeks) bloods were ok, not aneamic, or diabetic, ceoliac, or other things......when I asked if vit D was tested....wait for it....no, that`s too expensive.....oh I came out of there feeling quite worthless, but before I left, she lectured me on my high cholesterol...6.8 (didn`t starve for the test) went through everything especially diet, and came to the conclusion it`s steroids that are raising it, and then said...you will have to go on statins. if you stay on pred....to which I replied, I won`t have to do anything if I don`t want to! 

?Do many of you have raised cholesterol?

?Had MRI for lower back pelvis hip pain...came back ankolysing(spelling?) deteriation....what ever that means??...and so it goes on....

?Am seeing a rheumatologist in 2 weeks so hopefully he can make some suggestions....but fear it will be DMARDS to help lower pred (10.5mg)

?Thanks for any suggestions....

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Linda , Yes I have high cholesterol, but mine was high before PMR and GCA

Like you I didn't want to go on statins, but after being on Preds for 6 months and the side effects etc, plus I had some other health issues come up. I agreed to go on the statin ( rosuvastatin 10mg ) The reason I had put on a LOT of weight over the 6 months, and she explained the benifits of lowering my cholesterol while on Preds. eg:: heart, stroke etc.

I have been on them for about 2 months and my cholesterol has lowered. I will stay on them for a short time while on the high Preds, then taper off them when I have my diet under control again. I'm like a hoover at the moment with my eating lol smile   

Good Luck  

• Posted

I had some of these episodes as well and they were scrary.  I take care of my 6 month-old grandaughter and was afraid to hold her, so I had to call a neighbor to help out.  The episodes didn't last long 30 - 60 minutes, but they were unpredictable and I was always worried about when I'd have the next one.  They lasted for about 10 days and then I think my body adaped to the prednisone.  I haven't had any bad ones for a couple of weeks now.  Hope yours pass.  I haven't had my cholesterol checked lately, but I think I'll ask to have it done at my next appointment. 

• Posted

My husband, newly diagnosed, had terrible episodes of dizziness and rapid heartbeat and was switched to another steroid.

So far, so good. He said he also had a sensation like bees were in his body, a sort of buzzing or electrical shock sensation that would move from place to place. 

He has high cholesterol but was taken off the statins because of the steroids. 

• Posted

I wonder why he was taken off statins because of the steroids....I `m sure they are going to try and push them on me .....I said try!

​What steroid did your husband go from and to.if you don`t mind me asking...I am on prenisilone....I do split the dose as well.....

​Hope things settle for him, and he can reduce the steroids ok....

• Posted

I wondered that too Linda - do tell us Jae if you know...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.