urethral dilatation

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am being scheduled for this procedure (under anesthesia) and I am trying to find some up to date reviews regarding this procedure. I must admit, that I am a little nervous and everything I read is at least 3 yrs out. Anyone out there, that has had this procedure done recently that can give me some information. I would appreciate the feed back.

Thanks a bunch,

Sharon  

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had this procedure, and although it was over a year ago I would imagine nothing has changed in the way it is done. I had no problems and no pain only very slight discomfort. I had a catheter for just over a week after, but that was not a problem. I have had no problems at all since, and my life is much better now. Good luck and don't worry, there really is nothing to worry about.

• Posted

The reasons I got mine was due to frequent urination. I typically needed to wee between 20-30 minutes in general but if I drank a bottle of water, I would need to wee every 5 minutes. I got mine done yesterday and ever since the operation I need to wee every 5 minutes, is this normal. Did you

Experience the same?

• Posted

Thank you davidjk22. My procedure is tomorrow 05/22. Praying for the best with everything. Thanks for responding.
    • Posted

You will be in safe hands and all will be fine. The procedure will give you insight into what is affecting you, so that measures can be put into place to fix the issue. The discomfort is not huge, and not constant. Just follow your doctors instructions and you will be fine. 

Update on my situation: 20 days since the operation/procedure and I feel better than ever. Even when I am the slightest bit dehydrated, I am not having ANY pain in my bladder or while irinating. This is an amazing feeling and one I have never experienced. I feel like I can wee normally and completely for the first time ever. I am very thankful for having the procedure done. 

Good luck tomorrow, I’ll be thinking of you 💕

• Posted

I had mine done yesterday afternoon. I was very anxious but found out that it wasn't painful as thought. Though you will feel a little bit of discomfort but not as serious as I thought.  Just relax and go everything shall be fine.

• Posted

The reasons I got mine was due to frequent urination. I typically needed to wee between 20-30 minutes in general but if I drank a bottle of water, I would need to wee every 5 minutes. I got mine done yesterday and ever since the operation I need to wee every 5 minutes, is this normal. Did you

Experience the same?

• Posted

Experience the same?

• Posted

I sure hope not. My procedure is set for tomorrow. Thx for sharing.
  • Posted

Hi syhart,

I had a cystoscopy and urethral dialatation dome today in Adelaide Australia. Whilst I have had a cystoscopy only about 11yrs who as a 17yr old, my history is that I’ve has recurring UTIs and cystitis since I was 3 yrs of age (in 28 now). I kinda knew what to expect from a pain point of view, given I’ve had a similar procedure, but the dialatation is new to me. The surgeons do the decision to do this during the cystoscopy as the opening of my urethra was narrow, likely causing me to be unable to completely empty my bladder, hence causing infections on a weekly basis for the past 18 months. 

I am passing blood when I urinate, and a slight foul odour. There is a burning pain when I pass urine, but it goes away once I am finished. It is nothing like the hell of a UTI so I’ll take this pain over the pain of a UTI any day. I was given an IV antibiotic during the procedure and have a course to take for 2 months straight at bed time only. 

For me I was glad to have this procedure done. The pin is more of a discomfort than anything else, and would only last a couple of days. 

Feel free to ask any questions and I will answer if I can 

• Posted

*typing errors fixed in this post*

Hi syhart,

I had a cystoscopy and urethral dialatation done today in Adelaide Australia. Whilst I have had a cystoscopy only about 11yrs as a 17yr old, my history is that I’ve has recurring UTIs and cystitis since I was 3 yrs of age (im 28 now). I kinda knew what to expect from a pain point of view, given I’ve had a similar procedure, but the dialatation is completely new to me. The surgeon made the decision to do the dialatation during the cystoscopy as the opening of my urethra was narrow, likely causing me to be unable to completely empty my bladder, hence causing infections on a weekly basis for the past 18 months. 

I am now passing blood when I urinate, and a slight foul odourr, but my urine is otherwise clear. There is a burning pain when I pass urine, but it goes away once I am finished. It is nothing like the hell of a UTI so I’ll take this pain I’m having over the pain of a UTI any day. I was given an IV antibiotic during the procedure and have a course to take for 2 months at bed time only. 

For me I was glad to have this procedure done. The pain is more of a discomfort than anything else, and would only last a couple of days from my past experience. 

Feel free to ask any questions and I will answer if I can 

• Posted

Hi Macnally, 

I am actually the same as you. Uti's since the age of 3 and I'm 23 years old now and they're looking at diagnosing me with interstitial cystitis after I see a urogynecologist tomorrow afternoon in Melbourne. 

I know that to completely diagnose this condition a cystoscopy is required.

I'm glad to see you are feeling better. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear to suffer the same Danielle. I suffer cystitis which is triggered from eating certain foods and drink (mainly when dehydrated) and if I wear tight clothing, non-cotton underwear, etc so it’s a lifestyle change for me there, which is fine by me because I can achieve that myself. 

My UTIs these days are 95% caused by sexual activity and the trauma on the urethra from intercourse (likely causing the urethra to be narrow at the exit and therefore not allowing me to completely empty my bladder). 2 days post op on the dialatation and I can already feel that my stream is effortless and I seem to finally be able to empty my bladder completely (in one voiding motion - which is absolutely unheard of for me). Slight pain today from the op (only when voiding), but no blood. Overall I am happy so far, but need to give it 4-6 months until I know for sure about the final outcome of the procedure.  I saw DR Kim Moretti in Adelaide, very good credentials for cystitis which is why I begged my dr to refer me to him (I actually live 6 hrs away from Adelaide)

For someone who has suffered for so long I am optimistic about the outcome and feel like this was a step in the right direction. 

Good luck to you in your treatment! I know how much it consumes your life and the constant need for antibiotics and the anxiety that comes along with all of that <3

• Posted

Thanks for the response Macnally. When i was 11 I had this super bad infection and had no idea what was happening to me and it seemed embarrassing so didn't tell anyone about it for about 3 days, finally got onto some antibiotics when i spoke up about it. Ever since then I've had trouble going to the bathroom with or without infection. I would only ever have 3 a year maximum but also burning with NO infection when i would go to the bathroom when I was dehydrated, however it was manageable and went away anywhere between 5min to half an hour after i voided especially if I drank water. For some reason this year something has changed SUDDENLY, two weeks after getting implanon in my arm, and I'm now getting random bouts of full on UTI pain with no infection found. Before this, my boyfriend and i were having sex a lot more frequently than we are now, so it wasn't sex that caused it. 

As you say it has caused massive amounts of anxiety, and I'm scared of sex and being touched when I feel even the slightest twinge. I know sex isn't even a trigger, and yet it still scares me and I miss that intimacy with my partner which is sad, but I'm sure I'll come back from it once a proper diagnosis is made and treatment can be applied. 

thank you for your response! Gives me hope that it gets better smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.