Using crutches for Planters Fasciitis

Posted , 12 users are following.

I was diagnosed with planters fasciitis in my right foot about a month ago.  The pain in my foot seemed to be getting worse than better so I decided to start using crutches to stay off of it as much as I could. I’m just wondering how long I’ll have to be on crutches until this unbearable pain finally decides to go.  My gp never mentioned to me about using crutches for my affected foot.  He only gave me a prescription for an ointment for the pain. Witch by the way hasn’t been affective what so ever.  Should I be using something else other than the crutches?  So far using my crutches has been the only thing that’s help. But I don’t want to have to be on crutches anymore than I have to be. What else is there to try? Oh and I’ve also use a frozen water bottle on my foot twice already. Does a splint help at all? 

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jason,

Wow.. you are using crutches.. the pain must be really bad.  I have PF in both feet and have had it for a long time.  I have been using compression socks, doing massage, and just putting my feet up.  I really believe that it will go away in due time.  The sooner, the better.. if you know what I mean.  And I am sure that you do.

Anyways, take care of your foot. 

• Posted

Hi Aimee, I’ve been using crutches for awhile. I finally both a night splint for it and am currently trying that . The downside with the splint is that the instructions say not to walk on the splint while waring it . So when I do have the splint on and need to get around I still need to be on the crutches to stay off the splint.  But yes the pain has been bad enough that I’ve needed to put my crutches to use to keep me from putting any weight on my foot what so ever.  The splint pulls the bottom of my foot in the arch where the pain is.  This has been going on for I’d say over a year or so but has gotten to the point if I’m on it to long without usage of the crutches i pay for it dearly later on.  Regular shoes are very uncomfortable with the pain . The only thing I can put on my foot that not uncomfortable is my moccasin slippers. Sad to say but true.  With me on the crutches I can’t do anything though as far as caring anything  . My phone, a drink , food etc. 
    • Posted

Hi Jason,

Have you tried to see if you can find a shoe for PF.  There are shoes available for that.  I know because I have some and have been wearing them a lot more lately.  For example, around my house.  I still feel foot pain, but I think my feet will be feeling better soon because I am doing this.. at least I hope so. 

Take care and don't give up!!!!

Aimee-

• Posted

Good morning Aimee, just giving just wanted to give ya an update on my right foot . Thursday night was awful. It was all I could do to get through my shift that I was working. Thankfully I had put my crutches in the car that afternoon before leaving. The splint I bought makes me very uncomfortable during the night. After an hour or two I get a burning sensation in my toes. Trying to figure out why I doNot really sure why. Last night wasn’t as bad as Thursday night. I was able to tolerate it til I got home to get it propped up on my two pillows I leave on the couch when I’m not up and around on crutches I keep it on those. Hopefully it won’t get to the point to where I have no choice but to get back on the crutches again. It’s a wait and see right now. Today I’m keeping my moccasin slippers on and I find that’s easing the pain some too. Later on I’ll get my frozen water bottle I haven in the freezer, I’ll get that out and put my foot on it awhile. Even though it wasn’t as bad last night compared to Thursday night the arch part of my foot was still swollen and puffy. That’s where I stand as of right now Aimee . I’ll let you know if anything changes . Will be in touch .Jason
    • Posted

Gosh, I do know that PF is just so awful, since I have it too.  YUCK!!!  Check the shoes out, as I already said,,  I am sure that you will be able to find something.  I am getting ready to put mine on soon.. pain in both my feet right now, just got to massage them and stretch is good too.

Just want it to go away and yes, keep in touch with me. 

• Posted

Will do Aimee, Someone else mentioned a shoe called fit flops . Not flop flops but fit flops on Amazon. They said to get a pair off of amazon . Have you tried the fit flops?
  • Edited

Has your Doctor not given you excercises to do? Go online and find the excercises that stretch your calf.  I went 8 weeks with no help other than Voltarol - which eventually thins your skin and causes tears in your heel if used over LONG periods so be careful. ...but it does help. with inflammation in the early weeks.  I saw  podiatrist to get an arch support which helped,and a Physio to work on my tight calf muscles- which pull on the back of your heel, and stretch the tendon under your foot which then developes miniscule tears that HURT! Frozen water bottles help with pain and the act of rubbing your feet over it stimulates blood flow  to help with healing. and REST  that foot. Not sure about crutches as they will alter they way you walk and possibly cause other problems long term? if theres one thing I have learned in the last months its that the foot is a complicated bit of machinery !

?The ice on your foot should be twice a day by the way! Also a physio could help with strapping that foot with special kinesio tape and methods. This is what is working for me at present. I was about to buy special arched insoles with a heel cup for about £20 thinking they sounded wonderful - but the physio pointed out that it would upset the balance of the heel if too soft...which would alter the whole balance of the foot and leg and who know what effect that would have on top of PF !

• Edited

Chris my Gp said nothing about foot exercises. Just gave e a prescription for an ointment for the pain witch did nothing. Not he never told me to stay off of it as much as I can like I’m trying to do now with the usage of my crutches. He also never said to try a night splint and I’m also doing that as well. 
    • Edited

the foot excercises are crucial. It may well be that like me you have tight calf muscles...and they will go on pulling your fascia tight unless you release them twice a day...and it cant heal in that state. If you are in UK the excercises  for PF can be found online...and probably in the US too.Please get yourself some help - see a podiatrist once  for arch supports and a Physio to show you the way forward. I have seen one for many weeks £37 a time. I can't afford it - but then I realised I cant afford to be off work long term either and I am finally making good progress

• Edited

Interesting choice! I’m 2 years into PF. After 2 podiatrists, an orthopedist, 2 styles of  boots, heel injection, several style orthotics, a sleeping foot sling, ointment, physical therapy, and new arch supportive sneakers/shoes, I strongly recommend lots of patience and ALEVE (AS NEEDED), foot and calf exercises and purchasing  gel heel pads (2 sets). Ice bottle/  rolling a hard ball underfoot while seated, stepping/ bending on a step. It’s all a matter of time! I personally would find crutches a nuisance. Also, Foot exercises/ stretching, seem to be imperative.

Wish you well.

• Posted

Rosie, I’m also using a night splint as well now to sleep in during the night. Still getting use to doing that. Not really having a problem with the usage of my crutches. That seems to help a lot. It just handicaps me from the usage of my hands when I’m on the crutches. 
    • Posted

As has been mentioned, stretching exercises are crucial to build your foot health. I’m sure you’ll find several websites on line, like WEBMD. I think, if you don’t utilize your feet, they will only get tighter and worse. Good support, gels, foot rolling, then ice rolling we’re best for me.... otherwise, your feet won’t improve.....possibly causing a need for surgery down the line sad

• Edited

Hi. Ive been having therapy over the past 3 weeks now. This has been a combination of deep tissue massage to the calf area, acupuncture, stretching and taping. My therapist noted a couple of factors which he says are contributory, being my arches are dropped from what they should be and - when standing barefoot and he views my stance from behind, my feet appear to be rolled inward if that makes sense. This relates to the arch drop, but contributes too to the PF pain. The work we've done has been addressing both elements, and with me exercising the areas too, we've improved arch shape, muscle tightness, general foot mobility and flexion. I also use a night splint, and we kt tape the foot regularly both for arch support and for heel padding. I use insoles aswell. Ive got to say, all of the treatments hurts like heck, BUT there is currently positive progress, so Im trying to press on. Add in a foot roller and stair edge calf stretches and thats about my routine!! There IS definite improvement to my arch and foot joints, but Ive also noticed that just 1 day of not exercising impacts it! Its a fine line for rest vs stretch!! My heel pain seems to be moving with the changes in my foot! So, Im hoping that its reflective of the improvements, and in time, will move away! Tootsies crossed for that!! Keep padding meanwhile. 👣

• Posted

Cardiac, I use a night splint too now but still have to use the crutches for that was well if I get up during the night. To to instructions say not to walk on the splint. Thank goodness I had the crutches on hand already or I’d be lost without them. Doctors have said both about exercises for my foot what so ever nor did the say to keep my weight off of with by the usage of crutches nor was a night splint mentioned either. All that I’m doing now the usage of my crutches and a night splint has all been what I’ve thought of so far.  So I guess I’ll keep doing what I’m doing for now unless I hear different from doctors. But I’m sure there no doctor that won’t tell me not to use crutches to stay off of it if I have to be on foot. 
  • Posted

Shoes with raised heal and orthotic inserts.  Get the correct shoes or it will never get better.  Sttretch the calves and plantar muscle constantly.  I also found massage feet with arnica helps.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.