Using crutches for Planters Fasciitis

Posted , 12 users are following.

I was diagnosed with planters fasciitis in my right foot about a month ago.  The pain in my foot seemed to be getting worse than better so I decided to start using crutches to stay off of it as much as I could. I’m just wondering how long I’ll have to be on crutches until this unbearable pain finally decides to go.  My gp never mentioned to me about using crutches for my affected foot.  He only gave me a prescription for an ointment for the pain. Witch by the way hasn’t been affective what so ever.  Should I be using something else other than the crutches?  So far using my crutches has been the only thing that’s help. But I don’t want to have to be on crutches anymore than I have to be. What else is there to try? Oh and I’ve also use a frozen water bottle on my foot twice already. Does a splint help at all? 

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi again Jason,

I think that I already told you that there are shoes out there that are made for PF.   Just do a google search.. shoes made/for PF.  You should be able to find something.

Good luck and let me know if you find anything, okay?

• Edited

Hi Jason,

How are you?   Never heard from you again.  Hope your foot is feeling better.  My feet are doing okay... hanging in there with them and doing my best to stay positive.

Anyways, if you have the time.. let me know how you are.. okay?

Take care,  Aimee

• Edited

Hi Aimee, I’m hanging in there. As far as my right foot is, it was pretty painful a few days ago. I thought for awhile I’d probably have to go back on crutches til it subsided. I hobbled a good part of the time trying to avoid having to go back on crutches again. It was painful that day walking on in and I probably should of gotten back on the crutches to keep it from getting worse. The night splint really hasn’t done what I was hoping for. It’s pretty sore right now and I for much should probably have it on while I’m on my couch with the crutches near by . With me not able to walk on the splint while having it on that gives me no choice but to be on crutches when I have that on. That’s why I’m avoiding the splint because I don’t want to have to be back on the crutches too. I’ll let you know if anything changes Aimee. For now I’m just taking a day at a time. Jason
    • Edited

Hi Jason,  I hope that you had a good day and that your foot did not bother you too much.  I tried to send you a message earlier, but could not get into this message board.. but now it looks like it is back up.  So, I do understand and know how you feel about PF taking over your life.  Believe me, I have felt the exact same way.  But, I am really doing my best to stay positive.  That can be difficult some times, but I would think that PF would go away, at least I would hope that it would.  My day has been okay, mornings still a little rough.. but other than that, day was okay.  Oh, and I was wondering if you would like to exchange email addresses.. just in case the message board does not work again or if it completely goes down.  It would be nice to stay in touch with you. We could check on each other to see how we are both getting along.  So, let me know what you think, okay?

Have a good evening,  Aimee

• Posted

Aimee someone about a month ago told me that pf will go away but is known to come back later on. As of right now the pain for me is mild and not unbearable. I forgot to put my aircast brace on this morning so I’m curious to see how it is by the end of my day. Also I do have an email address as well. Mine is still a little sore and tender but I’ll keep doing what I have been doing for the last couple of weeks since I stopped the usage of the crutches. Gotta run for now Aimee talk with ya later. 
    • Posted

Aimee, your reply that you sent back to me earlier today I’m not seeing.  I see you tried to reply back to me have I sent you a response this morning. I’m guessing this site isn’t allowing what even contants is in your message. . But I do see you sent it over 7 hrs. ago. I’m home now from work and have both feet propped up on pillows. It was very warm here today and supposed to be warmer tomorrow and rain by the weekend to cool it down some plus get rid of more pollen. I was surprised today after not having my aircast brace one the arch of my foot didn’t hurt as much as I thought it would. The last time I had a day like this the following day it hurt like hell. That’s the day I told you I thought I’d probably have to be back on crutches when it was hurting like it did. Hopefully tomorrow doesn’t turn out to be like that But if need be they are close by if I feel I need to put them to use for awhile. I half way though about getting one of those I walk free hands free crutch in case my foot got to the point again that I was going to be needing the crutches. It’s a thought. It would free my hands up though if I did have to go back on crutches. Well it’s time to get something to eat. It’s after six here now so I guess I’d better go get something before it get any later. Jason
    • Posted

It sounds like you are three hours ahead of me. Where do you live/are located?  And I did send you my email address, did you get it?

Let me know, right now.... I have a little foot pain, but am sitting down to stay off of my feet.  Probably a good thing.

Hope to hear back from you soon,   Aimee

• Posted

Hi Jason,

It is nice to hear from you.  And yes, just take it one day at a time.  That is what I am doing, having good days and bad days.. but also trying to just hang in there and staying as positive as I possibly can.

Hope you have a nice evening and keep in touch with me, okay?

• Posted

Hey Aimee ,

I have to be honest with you . I feel at times that this is controlling me and keeping me from what I want or need to do, especially if mine gets to the point where I can’t put any weight on it.  I guess the best way to put it is being controlled like a puppet. For the days it forces me  to either stay on the couch or get around on the crutches. It’s debilitating. It’s bad enough having arthritic problems with my back and hip I really don’t need this too. Between the two issues it’s only a matter of time before I get to the point that I can’t be on my feet but a short length of time. I’m hoping it doesn’t get to that point that the two together end up getting to that point. Only time will tell on will what hold for me in the next few years. Hopefully by the time I’m 50 I won’t be at that point. But after I hit my forty’s all of this came into play. It seems like a lot I know. Well gotta run for now and finish getting ready for work. Talk with you later Aimee. 

• Posted

Is there any one out there who still got better by ignoring drs advice and trying to carry on as normal, even tho in great pain.
    • Posted

Actually yes, but to be honest with you.  I have not even gone to the doctor for my PF.  Just doing my best to take care of it on my own,

And I do believe it will go away.. sometimes these injuries, which that is what it is takes time to recover.

Take care

• Posted

Ziggeryzag, I told my gp about the pain I was having in mine and what he gave me didn’t help that’s when I started to do what I thought would hel me. As possible by as I could. 
    • Posted

Hi Jason,

Just read the comment that you posted.  And yes, sometimes or I would say most of the time you just have to do things on your own/take care of yourself.  And just think positive and know that it will get better and go away, which is definitely want I want it to do for sure!!!

And where do you live?  You never told me, not in California.  I am assuming that you live elsewhere, in another state perhaps??

Aimee-

• Posted

Hey Aimee no I’m not on the west coast of the United States. I’m m on the east coast in Virginia. If you’re in California I’m threehrs ahead of you.  I’ve never been to California. The furthest I’ve been is to Colorado  and Oklahoma.  I was originally born in Hampton VA.  Like you Aimee I also hope the horrible pain I’ve had in my foot goes and stays away for good as well. Thankfully I haven’t had the horrendous pain in my left foot. I’d definitely would feel like I was crippled then if I had it in both of my feet. I wore the aircast brace today but now that I’m home and barefoot the arch does feel sore but not like it was about three weeks ago when I was moving around on crutches to stay off that foot when I could. Well I’m going to go relax for awhile and maybe close my eyes for awhile too. I’ll chat with you later on Aimee. Have a good evening. 
    • Posted

Well, as you know I have PF in both of my feet and have never felt like a cripple.  The good thing is that I have been taking some time off from working and of course I know that I will have to go back to work again one of these days.  The thought of being on my feet for hours right now really does not appeal to me at all.

Anyways, hope you have a nice evening.  Feet hurt a little right now.. only because I rode my exercise bike for a little while/put pressure on my feet/the peddles.

Do you still want to exchange email addresses?  Let me know, okay?

Take care of your foot

• Posted

Also, I was just thinking.. you are walking around barefoot.  That must hurt, right?  I heard that it is not a good idea to do that with PF.  I think that I remember reading that somewhere?  When I go barefoot, it definitely hurts, ouch!!!
    • Posted

I’m not going to be barefoot the rest of the night. I’ll eventually put my moccasin slippers on. Was just letting them be free from sock and shoes for awhile since I’ve had them on since a little after 5 this morning til about 4 this afternoon. My moccasin are the only thing I find comfortable if I have to have shoes on. I’ve been known to ware them while doing my errands too. On more than one occasion I have . Post office, grocery shopping or going into Walmart with them on.  My feet anymore don’t like shoes. It hasn’t been confirmed yet but I think I have arthritis in both of my feet now and that’s probably why my toes on both of my feet are achy anymore. I’ve gotten to the point after I get off from work the first thing I will do is free my feet from the socks and shoes and if I have a pair of moccasin slippers in the car and sometimes I’ll keep a pair in the car , I’ll put those on in place of the shoes I took off. I have a few pair of moccasins and I’ll keep them in the back seat of my car just to have on hand for occasions like that. 
    • Posted

Aimee I don’t have a problem giving you my email address. Here it is if you’d like to personally mail me .  It’s

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Aimee I just tried to send you my email on here and it didn’t post I’m guessing this site won’t allow email exchanges on here. 
    • Posted

You have arthritis in your feet now.  How old are you?  I guess anyone could get this, rather young or old?  Well, just hang in there.  That is really all that you and I can do.  My feet are feeling okay right now, a little painful.. but tolerable.  Thank goodness!!!

What is your email address?

Let me know, okay?

• Posted

Aimee, I’ll be 43 in September actually the arthritis started on me about five years ago. It started in my hands in 2013 . By 2014 I was starting to feel it in my feet. A year after that I started feeling it in my shoulders and knees. Now it’s also in my spine , both lower and mid part of my spine.  I already tried to send you my email address on here and it’s not allowing me to. I guess they do that for security reasons. But after I hit the button to submit it , it blocked it out.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.