UTI

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had prevous UTI's, the last one being October 2015. I have had 2 antibiotics and neither have worked. I am now on Cefalexin. Doctor wasn't able to prescribe this one first off. The pain has got worse in my back and my left side of stomach feels swollen and sore.

I cefalexin does not work, what happens next? There was a suggestion that an ultrasound would be needed

Thanks for your help!

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi  - I had a similar experience.  Some of the UTI bugs are resistant to some antibiotics so its trial and error.  Eventually I took Nitrofurantoin which killed it.  Its a strong one which I reacted badly to it but at least it got rid of the UTI.  I had the enterococus bacteria.  Most people have the e-coli bacteria.  Do you know which one you have?  Has your doctor sent your urine sample to the laboratory for testing?  This is necessary to know which bacteria is causing your UTI.  I have found that Oil of Oregano taken at the the first sign of infection clears the enterococus bacteria in the urine.  D-mannose clears the e-coli strain of bacteria.  Good luck.
    • Posted

I take D Mannose daily now since my bad run with UTIs! Not sure if it works or not but worth a shot!
    • Posted

The first sample would not grow anything. The 2nd, I will get the results today. A 3rd was sent off yesterday. This one was very dark and cloudy, the others have been quite clear.

Nitrofurantoin was the 2nd and didnt work. The 1st was pivmecillinam.

Will look into manoose

• Posted

Mine is, bought from the health food shopsmile Cranberry and D Mannose it's called smile Good luck

• Posted

Hallo Sue...may I ask how you reacted badly to Nitrofurantoin? This is usually the antibiotic I am given for UTIs,for many years but last week I think I had a bad reaction??? 
    • Posted

Do you have a uti was that proven was it a true result
    • Posted

D-mannose is taken from the bark of a European birch tree.  It comes in powder or tablet form. 
    • Posted

I was unable to drive - it affected my equalibrium and I had to sit down most of the time. This was the worst symptom.  Headache and nausea too.  These symptoms came after two days on the tablets.
    • Posted

I took penicillin for the last UTI I had.  I didn't want to risk Nitrofurantoin again.  Let us know what the bacteria is.  If Nitrofurantoin didn't get rid of it it may be something other than e-coli or enterococcus (not sure about spelling of that ).

• Posted

Have had numerous UTIs in the past and not all grow anything...I've seen urologists and urogynaes but nothing has ever beeen found to be the cause.    My Mum and also my daughter suffer so I am coming to the conclusion it is an inherited short urethra.    The only time I thought i had found the answer was when I was using a high dose oestrogen vaginal pessary but then the manufacturers lowered the dosage and back came those UTis. My bad reaction was depression which kept me in bed just crying and miserable. This also happened about 2 months ago although I didnt realise it was a bad reaction to Nitrofurantoin as i have taken it for some years now without any side effects.    Trimethoprim has no effect at all on my UTIs and I am severely allergic to penicillin.   I have almost 'drowned' in cranberry juice over the years and have used D Mannose diligently but none of these make any difference.     Its just the bane of my life

• Posted

Hey guys so this is my story so after going to drs in pa where I started out with a uti had 5 antibiotics and they did nothing but bring my immune system down I was nearly at the death point twice I went to er 10 Times in one month went into septic shook twice finally went to Phillip pa saw an amazing Dr who to me I have IC he recommended to see an urologist surgeon to talk about taking a biopsy so I go do this next month I am finally getting somewhere after 6 months
    • Posted

Please let us know how you get on....i would be very interested. My doc is saying he is thinking of sending me to another urologist,but having had so many investgations in the past i am reluctant to be messed around with again, as I am cynical enough to believe there will be no benefits.   I dont think there are any groundbreaking new treatments...mores the pity.  
    • Posted

There is a definite improvement today.

Have just phoned doctors and receptionist had a quick word wth dr. Apparently the bacteria I have will be treat with Cefalexin. That is E coli?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.