UTI

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had prevous UTI's, the last one being October 2015. I have had 2 antibiotics and neither have worked. I am now on Cefalexin. Doctor wasn't able to prescribe this one first off. The pain has got worse in my back and my left side of stomach feels swollen and sore.

I cefalexin does not work, what happens next? There was a suggestion that an ultrasound would be needed

Thanks for your help!

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

What happens if they cannot get anything to grow?
    • Posted

I have heard this is possible - ie that is that no culture grows on the urine sample being tested. If this is what has happened with you, you won't  know which bacteria you have so it will be more difficult to get the right anti-biotic.  By now you will have the result of the 3rd urine test.  I hope it gives a clearer picture of what bacteria you have. Ask your doctor for the name of the bacteria identified at the lab if a culture grew this time.  Your symptoms are screaming urine infection.  Drink  loads of water.  You could try d-mannose until the doctor decides what treatment he will give you.  You need treatment very soon I would say judging by your symptoms and the fact you have had them for several days now.

• Posted

Am still waiting for results from the 2nd test. Surgery doesn't man the phones on a Thursday afternoonrolleyes so i will have to phone tomorrow. I think and hope that the Cefalexin is working

• Posted

If the cephalexin doesn't clear it up they may well try and give you Ciprofloxacin.  My advice to you is don't take it - or any other quinolone antibiotic (they all end in -oxacin e.g.levofloxacin).  They can be very damaging and, unlike Nitrofurantoin, the damage is very long term or even permanent.

You need to get them to find out exactly which bug is causing the problem and then to prescribe the appropriate antibiotic.  If they say Cipro is appropriate tell them it's not - it's a broad spectrum AB, so will kill anything, including your own cells!

Good luck!

• Posted

What damage does Ciprofloxacin do? Have you taken this before? All the others do not give me any problems, however if they cannot find the cause, I will have no option I guess than to try something else. It can't just be left.

• Posted

Cipro (and the other quinolones) build up a level of toxicity in your body.  Some people can take two or three couses, others can only take two or three tablets - this may depend on whether you've taken them before, maybe without realising.

The damage they do is multi-symptom, but it usually starts with pains in the legs or calves, joint pain, tingles in fingers or toes, gut pains or diarhorrea, headache and anxiety - the list is very extensive, but you can look it up easily on a search.

What is different about this family of antibiotics is that target your own cells as well as bacterial cells.  The damage they do can be permanent or very long lasting whereas other AB problems clear up once you stop taking them.  You can find out more about it by going to this thread on here: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305

I'm not trying to scare you (or anyone else reading this), just trying to warn people of the dangers as doctors only know they're powerful drugs but don't realise what they can do to a person.

• Posted

I am looking to buy D-Mannose tabs. I notice that there are 500mg and also 1000mg. Which do you take. I also see that there are some that have added cranberry extract, are these worth it?
    • Posted

On the net I have seen strength 500 700 1000

i take 1000 daily

you have to work out the best value 

• Posted

Just a quick update. The doc phoned me at home last night. They were able to grow a culture on sample 2. He said Nitrofurantoin should have worked. To be fair I only took for 2 and half days as it didn't improve. he said Cefalexin will cure it but if I need more to try Amoxicillin. Is this the same as Pivmecillinam  that I have also had. Must admit I thought there was an improvement yesterday until last night when I had real bad back pain. sad

• Posted

The doctor is working 'in the dark' since the type of bacteria has not been identified.  Are you now half way through Nitrofurantoin?  Is it a 7 day course?  If you are you should finish the course since you hinted there had been some improvement.   My doc gave me Amoxicillin when I had the second UTI because I had reacted severely to Nitrofurantoin.  It worked!  Good luck.

• Posted

From how he spoke, he knows the bacteria, hence him saying that Nitro should have worked. 

I am on day Day 4 of Cefalexin today. (The Nitro was stopped by doctor after 2 and half days and no improvement)

Suppose I am lucky, no burning. Just pain in lower back and swollen left abdo

• Posted

Good.  Sounds like its working.  It may have been e-coli bacteria.  Did you know that you are entitled to find out from your GP which bacteria they found.   This might be helpful for some people.  It was for me as I now take preventative steps whenever I get symptoms.  This way I don't need endless anti-biotics which puts huge pressure on your stomach and immune system. 

• Posted

Just popping in with a quick update. Today has been a bad day. The pain is much more intense in my back and my left side is swollen and very painful. I thought Kefalexin was supposed to be the mother of all antibiotics and would cure it. I have to go back to doctors in the morning. Would you start taking Amoxycillin now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.