UTI won't go away after two weeks and two different courses of antibiotics

Posted , 24 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I don't know what to do anymore. I'm miserable. I can't sleep at night, I can't study, I can't do anything productive. Since February 27 of this year, I got a UTI infection. I went to the doctor and the urine analysis showed I had an E. coli infection. The doctor prescribed me Macrobid for 5-7 days (I don't remember now). On the last day of that antibiotic, I still felt symptoms so I went to a doctor again. They ran a urine test in the office, which showed I still had blood in my urine. He prescribed me Cipro. I've been taking 500mg of Cipro twice daily for 7 days now. Today is the 7th day and I still have symptoms.

I always feel the urge to pee. It is so bad I cannot sleep at night. I went to the emergency room in the hospital yesterday and they did nothing but refer me to a urologist. The problem is, the urologist hasn't called me yet and their office isn't picking up my calls. I'm afraid it will take so long for me to make an appointment. I don't know how I can live like this. Like I said, I am absolutely miserable. I feel horrible. I can't stand how I feel.

What can I do?

I've also tried D-Mannose powder and it isn't working.

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So sorry you are feeling this awful, uti's aren't pleasant, I expect you already know this but I'll say it anyway, make sure that you are drinking plenty of fluids and no caffeine or alcohol, just plain water is best, I find it difficult to do sometimes but it is the single most important thing for uti's, also no perfumed soap/shower gels to wash that area no baths only showers, wear loose clothing or skirts/dresses if you can (I'm not a skirt girl) wipe front to back etc etc and I'm sure you already knew all of this but it is very important, all of these things do help, I take d-mannose, cranberry tablets, vit c which helps those other 2 to work better, probiotics specifically for women, this combination does seem to help me....believe me I would eat my dogs food if I thought it would help smile

I hope you start to feel a bit better soon.

Phoebe.

• Edited

I think it is very unusual to be on a broad spectrum antibiotic like Cipro for 7 days and still have symptoms.  In my experience Cipro is sensititive to most Ecoli bacteria.   It's not uncommon to have recurring UTI's, but I think it is uncommon to be on an antibiotic for 12+ days and still be symptomatic.  

I think you have no choice but to wait for the Urologist.  It's common to have to wait a while to get a appointment with a good Urologist when you are a new patient.

If I were you, I would buy myself some urine dipsticks and test my urine to see if you have leukocytes.  You mentioned blood, but you didn't say if you have leuks/wbc's.

There's only a handful of oral antibiotics used on UTI's.  Floroquinolones (Cipro, etc.), Cephalosporins, Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim, and Nitrofurantoin (Macrobid, etc.).  If these don't work, then you're looking

at IV antibiotics.  Is it possible that your Ecoli is ESBL (extended-spectrum b-lactamase)?   If it is, then Cipro

and Macrobid won't work.  You'll need IV antibiotics.   Your urine culture should have indicated if you had

ESBL, but it depends on how good the lab is that runs the tests and what they check for.  

• Edited

Thanks for your response.

I'm going to ask my doctor about ESBL when I see him on Thursday. They'll have my urine analysis by then. He put me on Keflex (4x a day of 250mg pills for 7 days). So far, I've noticed a reduction in my urge to pee 24/7 but not completely gone either - I've just finished my 2nd day on them.

When I saw my doctor on Monday, he suggested that I might have an over active bladder. I don't really think this is the case. I think this is a bacterial infection and the dip-stick test at the office showed some bacteria showing up and a medium about of leuks. 

• Posted

Hi I’m sorry you are having such a bad time. UTIs are notoriously difficult to shake off so don’t worry too much, you just need to find the antibiotic that works for you. Amoxicillin did it for me but it took me several courses of other antibiotics to get there much like you! Take some cranberry supplements and juice as well that helps 
  • Posted

A UTI can be so very difficult to get rid of.  I started out like you and never got the proper antibiotics.  That eventually caused me chronic uti grief for years.  See the Urologist for help and it will definitely be worth it!  Follow the antibiotic instructions exactly as prescribed. Good luck.
  • Posted

If your UTI is e-coli then d-mannose should work. I have been plagued by UTIs for years and I'm now resistant to Amoxicillin. I now use d-mannose BUT it only works on me if I also take something to make my urine alkaline. In the UK, Boots have Cystitis Relief which is a 2 day course of sodium citrate. At the same time I take 3x1000mg d-mannose tablets every 3 hours 8am-10pm plus 3 tablets around 3am. It sounds like a lot but the bugs re-produce very rapidly. I take around 27 tablets a day during the first two days.On Day 3 you need to take the same amount of d-mannose but maybe day 4 gradually reduce, depending on your dipstick results i.e.are the leukocytes purple and is blood still present? You need to test your urine with a dipstick because even after the infection has gone you can still get burning for a few days afterwards (which unfortunately is the position I'm in now) which makes you think you have an infection still, when you actually haven't. I'm not sure why this is, but have put it down to the bladder 'recovering'. 

• Posted

I took Ciprofloxacin for 7 days at full strength and it worked but I still had slight symptoms so I continued the full strength course for 33 days. Mimms the doctor/chemists bible says that is the course a month in certain instances. I was told to take half the full dose by another doctor before that was found to NOT WORK AT ALL !

The lady doctor told me the original dose was prescibed too low.

To this day neither I nor any doctor knows what the infection was but I am symptom free but I am not happy that when I saw blood in my urine no culture was carried out and that happened on two occasions.

The way I was treated I would say is called HIT AND MISS but that way of doing things within the medical fraternity is what they do!

• Posted

Thank you for your response.

I’m glad your uti is now fully gone despite the long wait it took. They switched me over to keflex. At first I felt that it was working and now I don’t know. My urgency to urinate is back and especially so during nighttime making it almost impossible to fall asleep. I’m not sure what my next steps should be. 

• Posted

Hi Bianca did anything work for you? I'm having the same problem and have already been to the 4

• Posted

If you feel something is not right see the medics again. It can sometimes be an uphill stuggle but never give up =complain things are not right.
  • Edited

Ugh! I know the feeling. I am 2 weeks now and I feel really miserable. Like, 2 weeks ago I was in the shower and I felt insanely sharp pain in my abdomen. At first I thought it was ovulation cramps since I do get those but the pain, it brought me to my knees. So I took some Pain medication and I was good to go. Then the symptoms started. The constant need to pee even though you have emptied your bladder. But I am lucky that I don’t have the pain and burning that goes with it. So a week ago I had enough and sick and tired of getting no sleep that I went to the doctors and they did a urine test and told me that there was not enough bacteria in my pee to say I have a UTI but I feel I do because back in October, I had a UTI and I was cured with antibiotics. But this time, the doctor told me that there is not enough bacteria and he basically told me that I need to just suck it up and that antibiotics do more harm than good. But he did give me the prescription and I can get them anytime I wanted. Now I don’t have health insurance and they are not cheap. So me being desperate and wanting sleep, I went to Walgreens and bought some over the counter antibacterial medicine that really only cures the symptoms and I was praying that If I took those, the whole thing would go away. I was wrong. The pills never made my symptoms go away. So I said screw it and bought the doctor prescribed antibiotics and I am still on it and I am 5 days into it and they are not working. I have done everything in the book to cure it. I have been drowning my self in as much water and cranberry juice as I can. I have even tried water and apple cider vinegar with lemon and forcing that down and that does not help. I am so miserable and I’m actually starting to get scared. It’s literally 3:30 in the morning as I am writing this and I am tired but I can’t sleep because I have been getting up about every 10 minutes to use the bathroom. I have to try and sleep on my back now because I don’t want to put pressure on it. So if this does not clear up within the next few days and it should, I’m going back to the doctor. 
    • Posted

Ur story is the same as mine.....how did it work out for u? Are u still in pain? I hope u are feeling better!!!
    • Edited

Okay I’m On day 10 second dose of medicine thought it was helping but now back to the frequent urge to use the bathroom. Trying to get an appt with the urologist is turning into a joke and when I do get one I have to drive 1.5 hours away. All I’ve been drinking is water and doing all the things it says to do but I’m so uncomfortable it’s interfering with my life! I have 3 kids and a husband and a busy schedule. Luckily I’m a stay at home mom but I can’t take it anymore 
    • Edited

Omg.. same here....I just finished 2 courses of antibiotics....I thought they were helping and then when I was done the pain is back....I just saw my doctor...I have a urologist appt in a month....my doctor said she would send the sample out for cystoscopy ?and another culture. I have blood and leukocytes too. Have u ever heard of IC? Or painful bladder syndrome? I'm hoping this isn't for life. I too have 2 young kids and need to sleep. Good luck to u Heather..keep us updated...I will. Suzy

• Posted

I feel like they help one day and then the next I’m back to being miserable! I’ve heard of painful bladder syndrome but I don’t really have pelvic pain or pressure, just the urination urge and stuff! One month away is a long time to wait to see a urologist! I hope mine doesn’t take that long I will be so miserable! 
    • Posted

I'm the exact same...I have no pelvic pain or pressure...just the urge to pee....mostly thru the night...days are fine for the most part....it sucks..... Maybe a month from now we will be on the mend...xx

• Posted

I hope so! Please update here as will I with any information I get! Best of luck to you!
    • Posted

Hi Ashley,

I am suffering the same as you were and am wondering if you ever managed to clear things up? I am pretty sure i have become resistant to the antibiotics i am on after having them twice and don't know what to do !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.