UTI won't go away after two weeks and two different courses of antibiotics

Posted , 24 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I don't know what to do anymore. I'm miserable. I can't sleep at night, I can't study, I can't do anything productive. Since February 27 of this year, I got a UTI infection. I went to the doctor and the urine analysis showed I had an E. coli infection. The doctor prescribed me Macrobid for 5-7 days (I don't remember now). On the last day of that antibiotic, I still felt symptoms so I went to a doctor again. They ran a urine test in the office, which showed I still had blood in my urine. He prescribed me Cipro. I've been taking 500mg of Cipro twice daily for 7 days now. Today is the 7th day and I still have symptoms.

I always feel the urge to pee. It is so bad I cannot sleep at night. I went to the emergency room in the hospital yesterday and they did nothing but refer me to a urologist. The problem is, the urologist hasn't called me yet and their office isn't picking up my calls. I'm afraid it will take so long for me to make an appointment. I don't know how I can live like this. Like I said, I am absolutely miserable. I feel horrible. I can't stand how I feel.

What can I do?

I've also tried D-Mannose powder and it isn't working.

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hopeI had the same symptoms while living in the U.K. I went into the hospital.  They stretched my bladder (I was asleep) and washed  the walls my bladder w some kind of medicine.  Dr Said that something was attacking the lining of my bladder.  (making it stiff)  After I came home I still had to go to the hospital for some treatments done thru a catheter placed in my bladder.  The whole after surgery was painful in its entirety  BUT it was my cure  !!!! I've NEVER been in and out of bed every 10 min since then and that was like 20 some yrs ago!  To God be the glory!  I had tests done when I was diagnosed where I had to sit on a "hospital" type toilet seat and they measured and timed I guess my urination (?) I told the Urologist   because of the relief I cd kiss his feet !!!  I pray if this is the solution for u that your insurance will cover it or believe God can make a way for u.  I started getting frequent   UTI's about 6 yrs ago  but nothing like I just mentioned and my dr advised yogurt.  It definitely helped and I've been clear for several years. Now  this mo. all of a sudden I got a UTI w/ blood and even w antibiotics pain in lower area won't leave altho they show no blood in the 2nd test.now.  I' m stocking up on yogurt as I had slacked off a bit.  I don't ever ever want to go thru what I did in the UK before treatment.  I truly hope this helps and keep nagging your dr.  It's your body u know the symptoms and grief so stand up for yourself.  My prayers r certainly w/ u.  Don't lose hope!

• Posted

Hey Bianca I know this was posted 6 months ago , just wanted to know if you managed to get rid of the infection?

As I'm going through the same thing right now

• Posted

The science is available to isolate the offending bacteria so long as it is in a big enough 'colony' to sample. It seems rare for the medical profession to delve into what the exact microbe is so knowing that you must keep at it and complain you want to be rid of what is affecting you.

The situation is of course complex with lots tissue the bacteria can hide. Bacteria are very good at not being detected and also good at avoiding the killer antibiotic..... They want to survive don't they! ?  

There are dozens of microbes existing in this world of ours and one among a few that has been with us thousands of years is tuberculosis which is insidious in the fact that it hides for years without affecting the resistant person (latent TB) but in some about 10% it re-emerges to infect and cause harm to that individual it emerges in............

It all boils down to the fact re resistance to all or any of the offending microbes but when we are ill these days one would expect that the appropriate treatment is applied to rectify the problem. Finding an attentive doctor who is both cleaver and who listens to what is being said is a good start.

• Posted

The information that you have provided is very informative; thank you.

I had cystitis yet again last Wednesday, (after a break of 9 months!) and went straight to the doctors, only to be seen by a 'practitioner nurse'.  After a 3 day course of  antibiotics, I had 1 day of feeling great then I had 'thrush'!!! I do  understand that I do contract thrush after a course of antibiotics, so I use Vaseline Gel which has seemed to do the job!

Again, I was pain free for a day, until 3.00am when I woke feeling the urge to wee! After, going to and from bed for what seemed like ages (20 mins) and yes drinking water, I got up and went downstairs to make myself some lemon barley water (which I find soothing).  I then went to bed and slept until 9.00am ....

Now, I am drinking like a fish (as always it seems) but still have a dull ache in the bladder region.

I have had cystitis on and off since I was 21, I am now 51!

I had to write ths down, thanks for listening.

• Posted

3 days on antibotics isn't enough.   You should be on probiotics to help prevent thrush.  Use a product call purfem suppositories to put back goo bacteria in the vagina.

• Posted

It really makes one wonder if all these short courses of antibiotics which have been the norm over donkeys years are the crux of the matter regarding resistance to antibiotics that is bandies about in the media and the television re the adverts that whoever denigrates the use of antibiotics full stop.

It annoys me when it is retorted re AB is no good for a cold ------ well if one has a few cells within the cranium one already know that now don't they?

I had an enormous task getting my GP's and a urologist to prescribe any antibiotics for me.....

I was in a state with waterworks issues for years and yes during some of those years my own resistance was able to 'fight off' the bug or bugs but when blood is seen in ones urine as well as that coinciding with your partners in my view something needs attention without too much delay.

My wife did receive antibiotics but I did not for over 10 month then of course eventually the infection got into my prostate.

All medics centered on the cancer theme. I do not blame them for that but eventually I decided to give the course of antibiotics I got from the USA and with the USA doctor's advice I took them.

The antibiotic was then effective but not given long enough or strong enough and may well have been the 'wrong' antibiotic because my symptoms came back after 14 months. It was not until

then that a young registrar prescribed me Ciprofloxacin but the dosage she recommended was not strong enough. She did at least give me three months worth but in a low dose so that it was not effective as my symptoms worsened. My GP told me that dose is very low so I'll give you 500 mg TD for a week.......... after a week my symptoms decreased but were not completely right so

I referred to MIMMS which advises  a month on the full strength Cipro.......  Medically speaking I should not have done what I did but this was kill or cure I thought so 3 more weeks of the stuff came from Spain and did 'cure' me. I told my GP's and the urologist ----- if I had cancer would the antibiotic have eliminated all my symptoms? The answer is NO.

As a whole I feel at least 10 years younger but my ears are burning if you catch my drift! 

• Posted

You must put pen to paper in this instance because if you feel you are not being sorted out in a timely and correct manner face to face talk and the conversations on the phone mean nowt.  You mention 7 days of Cipro........ I took that for over a month and it was not until the third week that my symptoms decreased. I am not suggesting you are the same but I have a prostate and the ladies of course do not have one!    There are apparently other AB's that are given but in this day and age surely the labs can isolate which bug is giving you hassle.  I feel strongly that if you write they will know you have a record in black and white what's what........ 'They may not like it but this is the way of the world and if you see my previous postings it is worth remembering the urologist who said to me ---- 'You cannot prove you had an infection !'

That was cheek and I said well where have my symptoms gone if I did not have an infection ? This of course was after the 33 days of Cipro.  I had all the symptoms of urinary TB but I cannot prove that particular bug was affecting me but I do know it could have been that microbe and on top of that Cipro will kill that bug as it will many other infections.   

I would have thought it better for the lab to find exactly what infection you have to be able to eliminate it.

• Posted

I was looking up info to help me...when I read what you are going thro! exactly what I am. I'm 54 tho. I have 1 more day of macrobid anntibiotics... but still 'feel it. Have you found anything yet?

• Posted

Been suffering from UTI for months. Tried 4 antibiotics. urologist had me do a CT scan. it was clear. Next is a bladder exam. I am testing positive for UTI, but not every time they test. I am doing everything they have said (cranberry sup, probiotic, d-maoise , water) nothing is working. Does anyone have any suggestions at all for someone resistant to antibiotics? I am desperate.

• Posted

Been suffering from UTI for months. Tried 4 antibiotics. urologist had me do a CT scan. it was clear. Next is a bladder exam. I am testing positive for UTI, but not every time they test. I am doing everything they have said (cranberry sup, probiotic, d-maoise , water) nothing is working. Does anyone have any suggestions at all for someone resistant to antibiotics? I am desperate.

• Posted

hello, i keep getting cystitis over the years. ive had my second course completed but still symptoms wont go, i even tried a thrush tablet but that wont work i dont know what else to do and im getting quite worried as this is getting in the way of my whole life

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.