Vaginal Atrophy nightmare

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

Have been suffering from this awful condition for about 6 months Am really not getting much help from the medical professionals just the old generic treatments that are not helping much at all. Things are complicated by the discovery of a prolapse as well, which I have had to go private to see a gynaecologist as the NHS wait was close to a year, see them in a few days. I am post menopausal and apparently depleted in oestrogen I had a hysterectomy 17yrs ago, ovaries left in situ

So my questions are..

Does anyone have any coping tricks

Should swabs have been taken to check there was no underlying cause for the irritation ie infection

Should a urine sample have been taken

Should bloods have been taken to check hormone levels

Would welcome opinions and advice

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

Hey There, Kat..

VA is a post-menopausal symptom that is foreign to me, knock on wood!! That being said, I encourage you to CONTINUE to talk candidly to your OBGYN about what you're experiencing.. Often times, the medical professionals can be very dismissive... when we talk to them about being in menopause. Some of them believe it can't be that debilitating, yet I know for a fact, many women have quit their jobs, can't function and are completely out of sorts. I am one of those women who have the WORST symptoms known to womankind. There have been countless days, I just wanted to check my damn self into an asylum. I am months shy of being eight years DEEP in post-menopause, and it has been terrible! I named it a TSUNAMI, at best. I sincerely hope you get the answers you need so that your fears and anxieties can be put to rest. Be well... my menopausal sistah and DRINK plenty of water!

• Posted

Hi Kat, I take it you are already using estradiol pessaries (vagifem) and/or ovestin cream? These can take quite a few months to work. You can use them every day if the standard twice a week dose isnt enough. Have you also tried Yes VM? I use that every day, its good. I've heard its useful to take seabuckthorn capsules too, and collagen supplements. Hope this helps

• Edited

Thank you for your replies Vivian 72 & SW62355

This is probably the worst thing I have ever had to deal with and knowing there's no cure, no reversal and only a generic treatment plan, has sent me to a very dark place, but I know I have to cope with it Vivien, my menopause was held off by taking HRT, but when that was stopped it was like falling off a cliff with no parachute, so if you go onto HRT don't be bullied off it. Its now known you can take it for as long as you need. Keep that oestrogen level up.

SW Yes on that meds routine already, just praying for some improvement, the YES moisturiser is the best one have the pre loaded tubes so no faffing around. Will look into the sea buckthorn, give anything a try

thanks again ladies

• Posted

hi Kat, is there any reason you can't go back on HRT? Try upping the number of nights you use the pessaries but please don't give up on them. It can take months to see an improvement but you can get back to being comfortable. I know the impact on your mental health, it can be thoroughly depressing. Keep going, you will feel better eventually

• Posted

HI SW62355 GP reluctant to give it to me says the estriol cream should be enough. I use every other night. I used HRT patches for 10 yrs when early menopause started but then GP took me off, said I had been on long enough. So within a week I'd gone into a full blown menopause all the worst symptoms magnified x 100

Will keep on with the cream and am going to try again for patches Also going to give Seabuckthorn a try, supposed to help

• Posted

Good luck, I hope you get back on the patches as they'll be a massive help with symptoms. Some ladies use vagifem pessaries internally and the cream externally and its safe to do that, so worth bearing in mind. I hope you get sorted x

• Posted

Hi Kat,

So sorry to hear you're dealing with this. Might I ask why you use the term "atrophy"? What symptoms do you have?

If it's a painful-dry-irritated- almost-uti- type feeling, perhaps you might consider vaginal micro-tears. Of course do have your gynae check for any infections and do a pap too, but if all comes back normal, then perhaps these micro-tears is causing the irritation. One solution my gynae recommended to deal with it is -- brace yourself -- diaper cream. Yup, the same thing we use for baby's nappy rash. That helps heal the area in the immediate.

And then the other thing I found an absolute lifesaver was switching from my old panty liners to these lovely organic cotton cover ones by Rael. They're a bit pricier, but they're much softer, thereby significantly reducing friction down there.

Hope that helps a little, hang in there!

• Posted

Hi Cat

Diagnosed by GP

Sensation of crawling ants or ??? cystitis type sensation no leaking no frequency no burning as such just SO ANNOYING and all consuming. Sometimes painful No urine infection when tested.

I use the sensitive pads when I have used any medication and only for as long as I need then take them off. Its just the most depressing thing ever and there's no end to it or cure

Thanks for your advice so kind of you to take the time

• Posted

Yes, it's infuriating when it acts up. Perhaps just convert completely to the softer type pads and maybe try the diaper cream. I don't know if you have this brand where you are, but my gynae did say it's the best of them -- Drapolene.

Also, try less snug-fitting underwear and jeans etc. That "cystitis type sensation" could be caused by friction and then pee irritation when it comes into contact with the micro tears.

Oh, I presume you aren't using any soaps, chemical irritants down there, yes? Just clean with water.

• Posted

Hi Cat

I remember Drapolene from when my children were little

At the moment I'm trying to not use the estriol for a few days I wonder if there's something in it that disagrees with me, but it's a lottery trying to get the balance and there's nobody at my GPs who is interested in helping, so I feel very isolated. I have read that there are tests that should be done to check for infection, PH balance, etc, as well as physical examination, but again can't get these. Even the gynaecologist I saw to confirm my prolapse a few weeks ago, was dismissive of the atrophy and just said speak to to your GP.

I assume you too have this condition?

I have seen reports about a procedure called Mona Lisa touch, which Im going to look into. Desperation is really setting in now. I'm terrified that the low mood things are causing will never lift, it's a living nightmare

• Posted

Hi Kat,

None of the gynaes I saw ever used the word atrophy. They did say that the skin there gets thinner and just generally drier during this season of our lives, which then makes it more prone to these micro injuries.

Plus you may have noticed that your labia have also changed with age and repeated childbirth -- it's just more.. "hangy" haha. Which then sits in your underwear a bit more uncomfortably. I used to tell my gynae it felt as if I'd had rough sex with ten men in a row (not that I ever have haha, but it just seems like it would feel that way). The drapolene helps soothe and heal the area.

Since switching to the Rael liners and getting the slightly looser undies, I've not had to deal with this stupid issue so much anymore. Keep the area clean and treat it gently -- perhaps try this first before resorting to the laser. Incidentally, I did get tested for utis and so forth at the time, and they were all fine.

As for low mood, gah -- don't get me started! "Nightmare" about describes it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.