Vaginal Dryness

Posted , 14 users are following.

i am a 44 year old woman suffering with vaginal dryness for 2 years. I am sick of being told I am too young for the menopause and not taken seriously at my doctors. I've tried one prescription vaginal cream, can't remember what it is called, you're meant to use it every few days but in order it to work for me I had to use it every day...got a bit tired of it and paying so much for prescriptions due to being restricted to two tubes per prescription...I have since tried everything from the chemist, nothing works I am a walking sandpit. To top it off I also have BV, and finally after many failed home remedies just started taking the antibiotics...I am constantly uncomfortable and shy away from sex.  I am looking for any guidance you ladies can give me. I am desperate and feel very lonely

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

As regards sex, try Yes.  They do an oil based gel stuff and a water based one.  For extra lubrication you can use the oil based first and then add the water based one.  It's the best that I know of, works REALLY well and the ingredients are all safe.  For general moisture there are lots of products available.  I'm using coconut oil at the moment but there are all sorts of things already made up as pessaries that will help and I've used active balance menopaus plus, and also key e pessaries.  I found both of those good as well.  I know a lot of people use Vitamin E, piercing the capsule and squeezing it out on to a finger to use it.  Some insert the whole capsule but since it's meant to be taken by mouth we weren't sure if the capsule fully got absorbed or what, so I chickened out of using the whole capsule up there.  Hope this might help, but take heart - there are lots of solutions for you:-)
  • Posted

Im pretty sure you arent too young for menopaus,ive had problems for about 7 months now.warm sitz baths help alot..im just useing a and d ointment and hydrocortisone 1 percent per approval of my doctor..have an apt soon to discuss hormone replacement therapy.im also going to try the vit e and replensAlso i wash off with clear water after useining the toilet.no soap to wash there just plain water.even my underwear irritates me so i sympathise.hope you feel better soon.gets so costly all these trips to doctors,im sickof it.also look up lichen scleourosis and ask your doctor about that..also can caus these symptoms.
  • Posted

Oh Jennifer. I am so sorry...we have all been in the same or similar place. All the women on the site understand and will be able to offer suggestions and hope. So glad you posted. There are things you will find that help. It takes time and patience. Please don't give up hope. Meds are expensive. I pay a huge amount each month but they have helped me. HR creams were useless. Coconut oil used internally and externally work best for me. But I'm still researching and trying new things ... Hang in there. We totally understand.
    • Posted

Do you live in the UK?

If so and you need a fair few prescriptions a month it's much

cheaper to use the Pre payment scheme.

• Posted

What meds are you taking each month that work..just starting this fun journey here
    • Posted

Right now I use Vagifem. It is a tiny pill that is inserted twice a week. It has its good points...it is working well for me. It can be bad too. It is an HRT drug....I talked at length with my dr before using it. I would be concerned to use it for too long - like years. But for now it helps SO much that I will use it. One gal on the site has reported that she got cancer because of it. My understanding is that she was directed to use it 6 days a week for 17 months. That I would not do obviously. That is one of the blessings of this site. Practical information. Start with your dr and keep posting for the help these women can give.
    • Posted

Yes, Pat, you're right - it was me who got cancer after it.  I realise this is a choice for people though but would always suggest reading the manufacturers instructions for use, where they do warn about using oestrogen in any form in there's an intact uterus, and using it for the shortest period, and reviewing that it is actually helping.  I absolutely appreciate that for some this is a valid medication and works for some where they haven't found anything else that does.  I think if people make informed decisions you can't knock it:-)
  • Posted

You are not too young, I started with pain during intercourse at that age and none of the doctors knew what it was,said use more gel, etc.   didn't work, lots of uti's.  fast forward many years and its gotten worse with more frequent uti's and pain, pain.. The only thing that give me relief (and for only awhile) is the HRT... hate to take it but can't let this problem overtake my life.   good luck, don't give up... 
    • Posted

nancyo what HRT medication are you using that is helping you? How are you feeling these days since you started HRT. Is it still helpful?

• Posted

If you have an infection you surely don't want to be having sex. First and foremost get that under control. When you do have sex a condom can prevent a lot of future misery. Guys may not like it, but if it comes down to their preference or your health the choice should be obvious. New partners invariably caused me problems. PH levels have a lot to do with susceptability to infection. Read up on that.

44 is not too early to be premenopausal. Request blood tests to check your levels of: Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and estrogen (estradiol), because your FSH levels increase and estradiol levels decrease as menopause occurs.

Test for Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), because an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism) can cause symptoms similar to those of menopause. Has your doctor suggested these? I'm in the US and from what I read on this site the health care in the UK seems to be lacking.

Google and read all you can so you can be proactive with your doctors. Don't just assume they know what is going on with your body. If you read previous posts on this site you will learn about quite a few natural remedies for dryness. There's also Yes and Replens. Most of all understand that the problem is quite common, it's just that no one seems to discuss it.

• Posted

Hi Jennifer Lots of ideas on this forum. Vit E for me has been the best help. Multi gyn for BV and D Mannose after sex.
    • Posted

Thanks Sus unfortunately Multi Gyn hasn't worked for me, use frequently to soothe but after a week it comes back. I've purchased Yes for dryness and that feels great...
    • Posted

Jennifer, which Yes did you get?  They do an oil based and a water based.  For sex you can use them both together (oil first and water second)  and they're brilliant and if you google the ingredients they're the safest I found.  I found the company very helpful too when I wanted to ask stuff.
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer. I was menopausal at 45 but vaginal dryness started before that. Doctors with me had the same attitude as yours because of age, even insinuating it was my fault I was having a menopause. This site is the best I have found, and as someone mentioned the Yes oil based product seems to be the best for intercourse I have tried it once and it is the best lube I have used. Once you get rid of your infection I would try it, as u can use it as a moisturiser also. Blood test does not always show if you are menopausal, you might be in the peri menopause and think your periods have stopped, but you might get one more in a year. The doctor might suggest Vagifem for Vaginal atrophy (if you have it) I do and take it twice a week. I am all for natural remedies but this is the only thing which has helped me. Also I wash in hydromol which is non drying and on prescription and a tub lasts for months.rolleyes
    • Posted

hi Carmarie

Thanks for your kind advice. I've already ordered yes, just arrived today. I had my bloods taken again yesterday, they want to check thyroid as well as hormones. I shall look up vagifem, see what that does...doctor wants results before treatment can start. Disappointed she suggested antibiotics for BV but read on another group chat about cinnamon...I just want a healthy lady area. 

Cheers

Jx

• Posted

I was diagnosed with bv by one and another after took a swab and said no bv..soo confuseing
    • Posted

Hi Lee

I think the swab would show up any BV. Don't be frightened to confront the doctors I have found that sometimes You have to be forward as it is your health at stake. I don't care what they think of me as long as I get my questions answered. They have probably got crazy woman written on my file lol. lol

• Posted

Lol..i just wish they knew what they were doing...seems they dont.this is like 6 times ive been to 3 doctors and i have more apts coming up..im not rich but they must think i am lol
    • Posted

Also one swab said i did,the other said i didnt so i never took the med,maybe ive had an infection for months..egads
    • Posted

I've just remembered when I'd had a swab done some years back and was told it was thrush, put on medication for it a couple of times and when it didn't work went back again only to be told it wasn't thrush but a bacterial infection so given antibiotics, so do ask for clarification on this.  It's your right to get the correct information and treatment.
    • Posted

Lol ive brought pages of questions the doctor looks at me like I'm nuts..taking husband with me next time to discuss hrt treatments..will confront her again.
    • Posted

That's exactly what you need to do and I've done many a time (and actually that was how I got diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos when they looked at everything I'd written - all together on onen page and got a glimpse of the whole picture).  If one has said you have got BV and the other has said you haven't, you need to ask exactly what swab results showed.  I always think it's a good idea to ask for a copy of any test results as well, because that gives you confirmation and tells you exactly where you are on it, rather than a general 'you've got this' when 'this' can vary hugely in degrees of how bad it is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.