Vertigo symptoms?

Posted , 40 users are following.

My GP recommended me this site because she diagnosed me with vertigo, so I wanted to see if other people have these symptoms as well.

It started for me at the beginning of March. It was just snap bang dizziness in front of the computer screen. Then it spread out to other things, and now that I'm taking meds (Prochlorperazine), the dizziness in my head is more or less gone.

However.

My body weirdly feels dizzy when my head doesn't? E.g. I'll move my hands and they move correctly, but I think they're going further than they really are or not far enough, and my arms just feel really awkward even though they move to my commands. I always (ALWAYS) have a falling feeling, like I'm about to sink or drop, but I don't. It got really bad once at the GP's, my back felt like it would snap forwards and I would go down, but I didn't. I still feel like I'm swerving when I walk, but I know loss of balance is pretty standard for vertigo. I've never had dizziness (it's a floaty, boat swaying dizziness) until now, and am really distressed by it because it's impeding on my work.

I don't drink alcohol/ coffee or smoke, but I do drink a lot of tea. I cut down my tea now, and am just drinking water (a bit boring).

4 likes, 88 replies

88 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello fashions I'm in your position whilst writing this,not a good day with it at all,it gives me anxiety, had it now for 3 years started out of the blue.plus I have tinnitus bad.Dr gave me Diazapam for the anxiety of it all I only take one 2 msg when I have a bad day with symptoms.it does keep me at home a lot .dont know how to solve this problem the meds your on I've not heard of, I know several people with this problem,don't know if the added stress of symptoms make matters worse do the diazepam affect my tinnitus and balance can't fathom it out wish I could help myself and other sufferers like you it feels like I'm on a boat swaying when I walk.It is a horrid feeling and even harder to get a Dr to get the right treatment for you as you only know how this makes you feel daily live never touch. alcohol ,only 2 tsp coffee a day don't drink tea.just still bottled water.I definately wouldn't be able to work with it .I don't know how old you are,but this problem we have holds no age barrier fashions that's illness in general too. Come back on this forum the ladies here are really good at advice and hearing their problems makes one feel your not on your own dealing with it ,and the tips are good hope you have company with you keep in touch big hug x
    • Posted

Age does matter. It doesn't happen under 40, 40 when Your bones start to

deteariorate. It happens in the inner ear from floating fragments.

my vertigo is so bad today I cannot even move my eyeballs. This is

not the peak though, when the vomiting begins that's when it has

reached its peak

• Posted

That is not true about age, my girlfriend currently has vertigo and is only 20. 
    • Posted

You are so VERY wrong about age and about it being because the bone DETERIORATE. I suggest you not put out misleading and incorrect information if you ate neither A. A doctor or B. A RN

Vertigo is mostly from an inner ear disorder. Bones deteriorating as in musculoskeletal problems are when you are much older.

I suggest you proofread your statements as well as use spell check if you are unble to spell words correctly.

• Posted

im 27 and suffer from Vertigo. its wthe worst. very frutrating. 
    • Posted

I went to the er they gave me diazepam .0.5 that day felt somewhat better but doctors refuse to prescribe it to me .... I guess they think am addicted to it ,I hate meds but natural hasn't been working for vertigo it helps wit migraines though , I hate meds but sm willing to try anything ,vertigo is horrible

• Posted

Actually age doesn't matter. I have this happening and I am only 23 years old.

• Posted

hi, i have had the same problem for 4 years nearly. All of the meds either made me feel worse or did nothing! You might want to check out a site VEDA |(thy are also on Facebook if that's helpful) - lots of good info on there that you will never get from GP's or ENT's
    • Posted

Enter it as Vestibular Disorders Association. It should come up pretty soon after you type Vest...
  • Posted

Thank you both! I am a final year uni student, so I'm really surprised that I have been diagnosed with vertigo. I have a dissertation due next week, so it's really stressful at the moment. I keep going to the GPs and I think they're getting a bit tired of me. There's nothing they can do, I know, but I just needed some medical guidance for comfort...

My family is really sympathetic. My mum is helping out lots and my dad has vertigo as well, so he understands what it's like. For him, it apparently lasts a few days and goes away after a while, so it's a bit different for everyone it seems.

• Posted

Hi, glad to be of help. Don't worry about feeling GP's are tired of you. On one site for menieres that i belong they quote 'Doctors treat Symptoms'. and as we all have differing symptoms in various forms it can be a bit of a minefield. However you will find you have to be persistent and if the meds/treatment isn't working for you, or making you worse, you have to go back and tell them! Stress can make things worse, so if yo can, try to de-stress in some way (don't know if you do for eg Yoga or something like that will help), get plenty of sleep and rest. Your Dad's vertigo experience may help, but if it's different to yours, probably not much. So read up on VEDA site/F'book page and get informed as that I am still learning. For e.g i have learned there is such a thing as Visual Vertigo - i have problems in looking at print (or this computer) for too long and experience dizziness, slight nausea etc., so am seeing an Opthamologist next month. |Other consultants that sound good are Otolaryngologists - look up National Hospital for Neurology in London - they treat and test a lot of versions.
  • Posted

Thank you so much for the recommendation. I have been looking at the VEDA website and I check so many of the symptom boxes. I also have a weird feeling of shaking, but I'm not actually shaking? It's like the fatigue from a cold or a fever, but it never actually materialises. It's really disorientating because I think I'm going to shake but I don't.

If I'm distracted by something I usually don't notice any of these symptoms, but if my brain has nothing to preoccupy itself with, I get really stressed out over these symptoms, either thinking they're something worse or because they're really annoying.

• Posted

Hi Fashions I get that feeling too like I am shaking inside but not outside.  I have tinnitus as well, maybe it has something to do with ours ears,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.